• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Insight with Beano Cook

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  325
  • Days Won:  0

From today's chat on ESPN:

Jonny (NY)

Beano: any insight on who might be the next coach at PSU?

Beano Cook  (3:33 PM)

My opinion is there will be a new head coach next year. If I had to give you a few names, I would give you Urban Meyer and Skip Holtz.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

That gas bag needs to take some Beano

That guy is more senile than the elder Holtz

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Beano Cook =  :Flossing

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Are you saying that if PSU came knocking on Coach Holtz's door he wouldn't leave for Penn State??  I would think the money could potentially be double what he is making at USF.  I cringe at the idea, but head coach at PSU is a very desirable gig. 

• Content Count:  259

Are you saying that if PSU came knocking on Coach Holtz's door he wouldn't leave for Penn State??  I would think the money could potentially be double what he is making at USF.  I cringe at the idea, but head coach at PSU is a very desirable gig.   

Potentially double? lol they can pay anything they want. PSU can hire almost anyone and I don't see Skip making the top 2-3 of that list at this point.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

Penn State is like Bama -- they want to hire somebody who has roots at Penn State.  I don't think Holtz does, but I'm not going to search history for the answer.  I think Al Golden or some other young up and coming guy who played or coached at PSU is the most likely choice.

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Holtz makes $1.9 m per year. 33rd highest paid coach. Joe pa makes $1.1m and donates much of it back to the school. Not saying they could,t break the babk but double is $4 m per year for a guy that hasn,t reaaly done much. I don,t see it but crazier things have happened

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Holtz makes $1.9 m per year. 33rd highest paid coach. Joe pa makes $1.1m and donates much of it back to the school. Not saying they could,t break the babk but double is $4 m per year for a guy that hasn,t reaaly done much. I don,t see it but crazier things have happened

Penn State doesn't pay Jo Pa more because he doesn't want more.  They could easily pay the money to spend 4 million on a coach, but I agree with you that while Skip is a great coach he hasn't shown anything so far pointing to him making that kind of money.  Even if USF runs the table and wins a BCS game this year, I don't see it.  It will be a couple of seasons of success before it's a real possibility.

Although, if they could grab him for less than 2 million because USF lost it's auto-bid, then maybe it's a little more likely, but it's still early for that kind of talk.

Penn State is like Bama -- they want to hire somebody who has roots at Penn State.  I don't think Holtz does, but I'm not going to search history for the answer.  I think Al Golden or some other young up and coming guy who played or coached at PSU is the most likely choice.

Go Bulls!

It's hard to make a statement like that when the last time Penn State hired a head football coach was 1966.  I mean I guess they took a guy with Penn State roots back then (Joe Pa had been there the previous 15 years), but it's been a long time.

It's a reasonable assumption, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Schiano has more potential for the Penn State than Skip, imo

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Penn State doesn't pay Jo Pa more because he doesn't want more.  They could easily pay the money to spend 4 million on a coach, but I agree with you that while Skip is a great coach he hasn't shown anything so far pointing to him making that kind of money.  Even if USF runs the table and wins a BCS game this year, I don't see it.  It will be a couple of seasons of success before it's a real possibility.

Although, if they could grab him for less than 2 million because USF lost it's auto-bid, then maybe it's a little more likely, but it's still early for that kind of talk.

Go Bulls!

It's hard to make a statement like that when the last time Penn State hired a head football coach was 1966.  I mean I guess they took a guy with Penn State roots back then (Joe Pa had been there the previous 15 years), but it's been a long time.

It's a reasonable assumption, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Schiano has more potential for the Penn State than Skip, imo

Of course they CAN pay $4m. I don't think they will especially for someone with limited success. not many schools will come out of pocket that much for a coach. maybe they will but they will go after someone more accomplished for that kind of cheese.

• Content Count:  259

Yeah they are going to pony up the cash (new Sabres owner is giving them money like its water) but it won't be for Holtz.

Archived