• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why aren't we giving away some tickets to fill empty sections?

DERBY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

Hear me out on this...

I know that attendance is a hot topic and a lot of people are unimpressed.  I think it's pretty impressive that we've gone from nothing to pulling in about 35k a game in less than 15 years.  Look at Pittsburg for a similar situation.  They do about as well as we do and they've had football for over 100 years, have multiple national championships, and some legendary NFL players.  I'm not making excuses, just pointing out something that is easy to forget.

So, here's my main point....

What is the deal on our arrangement with the Buccaneers/Glazers?  Obviously more butts in seats means more concession sales.  I'm sure they're getting a cut of ticket costs, but I'm willing to bet for every dollar they make on tickets they're getting four or five from food and beverages.  Doesn't it benefit them to have full stadium?

I remember back when the 30 for 30 documentary "The U" was on ESPN and they mentioned that before Miami's program came to prominence they were literally giving away tickets at Burger Kings and grocery stores.  I'm sure that a lot of you will bring up valid complaints about that idea.  It's unfair to season ticket holders and people that already buy tickets regularly.  I'm not suggesting we give away the whole stadium, but how about a standby line with $5 tickets to make every game get to atleast 40k and fill the lower bowl?

We need to build our fan base.  We need to bring back the old alumni that graduated before we even had a program and that don't feel much of a connection.  We need to bring in the NFL fans that are already spending all their disposable income on Buccaneers games.  That's how you build a brand and a community that cares.  You can't just rely on students and the people that have graduated in the last 10 years.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

giving away seats devalues the product

think of it as a 5 dollar footlong... When you go to subway now... you expect a footlong sub for $5. Kinda hard to increase that price now.

Same scenario.. the casual fans start coming to games for 5 - 10 dollars thats all they will ever be willing to pay for the price of admission.

2 cents

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

This is not feasible, or a good idea.

How do you decide when to give tickets away? If you say, "after Friday night, if the stadium isn't sold out, we'll give away tickets," how can you expect people not to just wait until Friday and get tickets for free? And that's just an example, it doesn't really matter what specific plan you put in place, all you're doing is discouraging people from buying tickets and instead trying to snag the free ones.

I don't know the specifics of Miami in the 1970s, but I don't think it's really relevant anyway. Miami still isn't drawing people now, 30 years later, but they're not giving tickets away today. I've never heard of any major college sports team or any professional sports team doing this, because it just seems like a terrible business plan. If any teams out there actually do this, I'd like for someone to provide some info, I can't find any examples of it via Google.

• Content Count:  4,879

i tried to give a ticket away yesterday and found no takers.  there is no urgency to get a ticket when its available because the supply is so much greater than the demand.

• Content Count:  12,293

cant do it.

maybe 1 game a year you have a pre-determined charity or youth football league that you give tickets too but cant just give away tickets.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

more evidence that we need an OCS...

45-50k

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

more evidence that we need an OCS...

45-50k

It suprised me how many teams have this size stadiums.

If we give away tix, we LOSE money.

• Content Count:  2,461

Here's what you can do:

1) Go to the games.

2) Cheer your heart out

3) Be a good sport at tailgates

Here's what the team can do:

1) Win.

There are things that aren't on these lists... Worrying about attendance is one.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

How about if you're not in your seat 15 minutes before kickoff, then open the gates of the lower bowl and let everybody take whatever empty seat they want?!?!/

Archived