• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Orlando Sentenal Calls for intervention UCF to Big East

Gismo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,079
  • Days Won:  39

it was sad to listen to ESPN regurgitate some of the BS Bianchi started during the broadcast tonight

does anyone actually do any investigating anymore?

I heard that in the background.  Shameful stuff right there.  Bla bla bla you know with all this conference talk, UCF would like to move up, but there are rumors that South Florida bla bla bla...  Then UCF lost the game.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Hey, remember when UCF was going to save the BE?  Yeah, that was funny!

• Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

Bianchi with followup column for those interested/

OrlandoSentinel.com

Speaker of the House Dean Cannon: USF reportedly blocking UCF from Big East is 'horrible'

Maybe it's time to call USF President Judy Genshaft 'on the carpet'

Mike Bianchi

SPORTS COMMENTARY

September 24, 2011

advertisement

Running off at the typewriter. …

The other day in this space, we asked State Speaker of the House Dean Cannon of Winter Park to look into reports that USF President Judy Genshaft is trying to block UCF from gaining access to the Big East.

And, by gosh, he's actually doing it.

Let's give it up for Cannon, who told UCF's student TV station that it would be inexcusable for one state school to try to keep another state school from gaining access to the tens of millions of dollars that come with being in a BCS league. Not only that, but Cannon says he plans on doing something about it and has already contacted at least one of his fellow legislators about investigating the matter.

"I think that's horrible," Cannon said of the reports that USF is lobbying against UCF getting into the Big East. "I think it's ridiculous that USF, as a sister state university, would try to stop UCF of something that it wants to do to make its athletic programs stronger. … We need to call anybody on the carpet who would try to hold down a fellow university. I think it should be stopped and I'm going to do everything I can to stop it."

Wow, how's that for a "Cannon" shot across ol' Judy's bow? Maybe now Genshaft will actually have to answer some questions about this matter. She might be able to dodge the media, but I doubt she'll be able to ignore inquiries from the State Speaker of the House.

Go get her, Deano.

Cannon can go take a long walk off a short pier.

I don't see him firing cannons across the bows in Gainesville and Tallahassee. Of course, that's probably because UF and FSU control higher ed policy in Tally.

It might help to call in some of USF's defenders here, the key ones being Betty Reed and Arthenia Joyner on the Democratic side and Rachel Burgin, Jack Latvala, and Shawn Harrison on the Republican side. I've had positive discussions with Mike Fasano as well.

That said-I don't think we should expect any trouble here. Judy can probably dissuade Dean Cannon from trying to do too much.

• Content Count:  453
  • Days Won:  1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

welcome to Fantasy Land

in before we moved it to the troll board

• Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

UCF and there whining made it to the broadcast of their irrelevant game last night. ESPN commentators were saying how there is a lot of talk about USF blocking UCiF from the Big East.

• Content Count:  1,165

Once I saw who wrote it, I didn't even bother reading it.

You didn't know who wrote it just by the title of this thread?  ???

• Content Count:  1,165

But you know, Bianchi has a point.  The Florida government should make UF pave our way into the SEC instead of trying to keep us out.

Archived