• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good Ole Suitcase City

USFishin

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Sting near USF leads to 37 arrests on drug, gun charges

By JOSÉ PATIÑO GIRONA

Published: September 07, 2011

Updated: September 07, 2011 - 10:30 PM

pandora-s-box-jb-6-19473579jpg

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office arrested 37 people Wednesday it says were dealing drugs and some illegally selling firearms in a northeast Tampa neighborhood not far from the University of South Florida.

Undercover sheriff's deputies began the investigation 11 months ago as they tracked two men known for drug dealing and numerous arrests but with no convictions, said Major J.R. Burton at a Wednesday afternoon press conference.

The investigation focused on Zavien Brand, 27, and Joseph Nurse, 35. Both men lived at the Pines One Apartments, 11720 N. 14th St., Burton said. Brand was charged with dealing crack cocaine and felon in possession of a firearm. Nurse was charged with dealing in crack cocaine, dealing in marijuana and dealing in stolen property, the sheriff's office said.

The others arrested face similar charges.

As undercover deputies investigated the two men, they bought drugs – including crack cocaine, powdered cocaine, ecstasy, oxycodone and marijuana – from the men and associates, Burton said. The value of the drugs purchased was around $75,000, Burton said.

The investigation grew when suspects offered to sell firearms to the undercover deputies, hesaid.

"It literally took on a life of its own," Burton said. "Never did we envision it lasting 11 months."

"It was a loose-knit organization," Burton said. "It was a surprise to us."

Investigators bought 29 firearms. Three of the firearms were stolen, seven were assault rifles and two firearms were connected to two separate shootings in the neighborhood, Burton said.

The firearms purchased, which included revolvers, semi-automatic pistols and assault rifles, ranged in prices from $200 to $700, Burton said.

Suspects also sold two military grade ballistic vests to undercover investigators.

Burton said he was surprised at the illegal firearm sale.

"I didn't figure there were that many on the streets here and readily available for purchase," he said.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms assisted in the investigation. The U.S. Attorney's Tampa office has also been involved in the investigation, which has been dubbed Operation Pandora's Box. The suspects face state and federal charges.

Investigators have issued warrants for the arrest of 17 suspects. Along with the Pines One Apartments, investigators also focused on the North Chase Apartments, 1513 E. 131st Ave.

Link

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm glad that these criminals have been taken off the streets.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

Hopefully this newly formed Tampa Innovation Alliance between USF, Moffitt, UCH, and Busch Gardens moves these people out of the area and cleans it up. I believe cleaning up the areas surrounding USF is vital to the university's growth, becuase that area is currently the butt of a lot of jokes about Tampa.

• Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully this newly formed Tampa Innovation Alliance between USF, Moffitt, UCH, and Busch Gardens moves these people out of the area and cleans it up. I believe cleaning up the areas surrounding USF is vital to the university's growth, becuase that area is currently the butt of a lot of jokes about Tampa.

+100000

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  761

i'd like that as well, but i don't know how plausible that would be. emminent domain?

• Content Count:  1,524

i'd like that as well, but i don't know how plausible that would be. emminent domain?

Raise the property value. I believe the city did the same sort of thing with the Hyde Park area in SoHo.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Raise the property value. I believe the city did the same sort of thing with the Hyde Park area in SoHo.

Exactly right. In SoHo you had its proximity to downtown Tampa as an incentive to promote redevelopment. In North Tampa/University Area, that conglomerate of USF, Busch Gardens, Moffitt, and UCH has really got to narrow down a common goal for the area. If these entities can produce consistent, high-paying jobs you could conceivably shift the balance to encourage folks to stay closer to those high-paying jobs. It'll take time, that's for sure.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Exactly right. In SoHo you had its proximity to downtown Tampa as an incentive to promote redevelopment. In North Tampa/University Area, that conglomerate of USF, Busch Gardens, Moffitt, and UCH has really got to narrow down a common goal for the area. If these entities can produce consistent, high-paying jobs you could conceivably shift the balance to encourage folks to stay closer to those high-paying jobs. It'll take time, that's for sure.

This would help:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/article1192530.ece  :clap :cheers

The USF area is one of 3 possible locations

Archived