• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waverly Austin, C, Palm Beach State College

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

Here's a nice article about him. Hopefully, the instability is all behind him and no more academic roadblocks and stays commited to us to the end ...  When is the signing day for these guys?

link?

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/juco-center-austin-picks-bulls/

"USF men’s basketball coach Stan Heath has picked up his second big commitment for the 2012-13 recruiting class this week.

Waverly Austin, a 6-foot-11 center out of Palm Beach State who is rated one of the nation’s top junior college players, gave a verbal commitment to the Bulls on Saturday while on his official visit. Austin had garnered interest from some of the nation’s top programs, including North Carolina and Kansas, but ultimately choose the Bulls because of the relationship he had with Heath and his staff.

USF recruited Austin coming out of high school and convinced him to sign with the program in November 2009. Austin didn’t qualify then, but the Bulls never quit pursuing him.

“I felt like at the end of the day USF, we had a good relationship the last two years, they’ve been recruiting me harder than anyone else,†Austin said. “When I didn’t qualify, they still never gave up. They still contacted me a lot, showed me a lot of love. Basically, they remained loyal to me, so I’m doing the same for them.â€

Austin, who averaged 18.2 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.8 blocks per game last season, certainly will fill a position of need. The Bulls lose seniors Augustus Gilchrist and Ron Anderson Jr. from an already thin frontcourt after this season, but now have Austin and 7-foot-3 center Jordan Omogbehin, who is redshirting, in play for the 2012-13 season.

Austin had a chance to check out USF’s new practice facility, the Muma Center, and said the upgrades certainly were a factor in his decision. “Those facilities are top of the line,†he said. “You’re not going to find anything better than that.â€

In the end, however, it was the level of comfort he had with USF and Heath that allowed the Bulls to gain his services.

“I just really love South Florida,†Austin said. “I love (Tampa), it’s a beautiful city. (USF is) a real good academic school. I feel like it’s the best place for me that can help me get to the next level, so long as I put in the hard work and the dedication and stay focused like I am now. I know I had other schools like North Carolina, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, but I feel like this is the best place for me because it’s like family.â€

Austin plans to sign with the Bulls during the early period in November. He will have two years of eligibility at USF."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Here's a nice article about him. Hopefully, the instability is all behind him and no more academic roadblocks and stays commited to us to the end ...  When is the signing day for these guys?

link?

Doh ...

Riding the Wave: 2012 Prospect Waverly Austin

Posted by Brad Winton on May 13, 2011 in Recruiting

After releasing our Top 100 Rankings for the 2011 JUCO class, it’s time to start looking ahead at the top 2012 prospects. I recently spoke with one of the best prospects in the 2012 class, Waverly Austin of Palm Beach State College.  Austin is a 6-foot-11, 250 pound center who is very mobile with great hands and a soft touch around the rim.

Austin’s journey to Palm Beach State has been turbulent, to say the least.  The Fredericksburg, VA native bounced around a lot during his high school career, attending five different high schools and prep schools in four years. The lack of stability began at  age 16 when Austin lost his father. After his father passed away, Austin said, “I didn’t have anyone to turn to; I tried to make all of my own decisions without any guidance.†Austin also said, “All of those decisions eventually caught up with me.† He spent the 2009-10 season at Heat Academy in Virgina and signed with the University of South Florida. Austin failed to qualify academically which forced him to go the junior college route.

Austin didn’t have many people he could trust coming out of high school, especially in the basketball world. One person he relies upon heavily is his brother David. Austin said, “He (David) is my best friend and my father figure.†David advised Waverly to find a junior college where he could have some stability and put the work in on and off the court. Austin has found that stability with head coach Butch Estes at Palm Beach State College. Estes has more than thirty years of coaching experience, with the majority of that at the division 1 level. Estes has spent time as the head coach at Furman and Presbyterian among others and was named Southern Conference Coach of the Year in 1987 and 1991. In Estes, Austin has finally found a coach who doesn’t have a personal agenda. Austin will be returning to Palm Beach State for his sophomore year. Estes said, “This is the first time in his life where he’s proved he can be stable. He finally has people in his corner here at Palm Beach State who have his best interest first.†Estes also mentioned Austin is doing a solid job in the classroom and they will continue to stress the importance of academics.

On the court, Austin has become one of the most sought after post players in the 2012 JUCO class and it’s no mystery why. Estes said, “Waverly has a wonderful touch around the basket and can shoot the ball out to seventeen feet.†Estes also spoke highly of some other aspects of his game stating that “Waverly has excellent size and length, good speed up and down the floor and his footwork is improving daily. Wave’s mental stability and focus have improved greatly since the beginning of the season.† Austin averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks per game this year while shooting 59 percent from the field and 82 percent from the free throw line. With former teammate Chris Colvin (#17 on our 2011 JUCO Top 100) moving on to Arizona State, Estes believes Austin will have to step up and do even more next year.  Austin plans on spending the summer working on his game with Coach Estes.

On the recruiting front, Austin has an offer from Oklahoma and interest from Texas, South Florida, West Virginia, Washington, UAB, Providence, Arizona State and Cincinnati. Austin told me, “I’m still wide open with the recruiting, but Texas, Oklahoma and South Florida are the leaders right now.†When asked what type of program would best fit him at the next level, he said, “I’m looking for a program that has an up-tempo offense where I can come in and contribute immediately.†By returning to Palm Beach State, Austin has proved to schools that he has matured and understands the importance of stability. By next season, Austin will have a long list of schools that would love for him to come in and contribute immediately.

http://www.jucorecruiting.com/?p=475

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

link?

Doh ...

After releasing our Top 100 Rankings for the 2011 JUCO class, it’s time to start looking ahead at the top 2012 prospects. I recently spoke with one of the best prospects in the 2012 class, Waverly Austin of Palm Beach State College.  Austin is a 6-foot-11, 250 pound center who is very mobile with great hands and a soft touch around the rim.

Austin’s journey to Palm Beach State has been turbulent, to say the least.  The Fredericksburg, VA native bounced around a lot during his high school career, attending five different high schools and prep schools in four years. The lack of stability began at  age 16 when Austin lost his father. After his father passed away, Austin said, “I didn’t have anyone to turn to; I tried to make all of my own decisions without any guidance.†Austin also said, “All of those decisions eventually caught up with me.† He spent the 2009-10 season at Heat Academy in Virgina and signed with the University of South Florida. Austin failed to qualify academically which forced him to go the junior college route.

Austin didn’t have many people he could trust coming out of high school, especially in the basketball world. One person he relies upon heavily is his brother David. Austin said, “He (David) is my best friend and my father figure.†David advised Waverly to find a junior college where he could have some stability and put the work in on and off the court. Austin has found that stability with head coach Butch Estes at Palm Beach State College. Estes has more than thirty years of coaching experience, with the majority of that at the division 1 level. Estes has spent time as the head coach at Furman and Presbyterian among others and was named Southern Conference Coach of the Year in 1987 and 1991. In Estes, Austin has finally found a coach who doesn’t have a personal agenda. Austin will be returning to Palm Beach State for his sophomore year. Estes said, “This is the first time in his life where he’s proved he can be stable. He finally has people in his corner here at Palm Beach State who have his best interest first.†Estes also mentioned Austin is doing a solid job in the classroom and they will continue to stress the importance of academics.

On the court, Austin has become one of the most sought after post players in the 2012 JUCO class and it’s no mystery why. Estes said, “Waverly has a wonderful touch around the basket and can shoot the ball out to seventeen feet.†Estes also spoke highly of some other aspects of his game stating that “Waverly has excellent size and length, good speed up and down the floor and his footwork is improving daily. Wave’s mental stability and focus have improved greatly since the beginning of the season.† Austin averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks per game this year while shooting 59 percent from the field and 82 percent from the free throw line. With former teammate Chris Colvin (#17 on our 2011 JUCO Top 100) moving on to Arizona State, Estes believes Austin will have to step up and do even more next year.  Austin plans on spending the summer working on his game with Coach Estes.

On the recruiting front, Austin has an offer from Oklahoma and interest from Texas, South Florida, West Virginia, Washington, UAB, Providence, Arizona State and Cincinnati. Austin told me, “I’m still wide open with the recruiting, but Texas, Oklahoma and South Florida are the leaders right now.†When asked what type of program would best fit him at the next level, he said, “I’m looking for a program that has an up-tempo offense where I can come in and contribute immediately.†By returning to Palm Beach State, Austin has proved to schools that he has matured and understands the importance of stability. By next season, Austin will have a long list of schools that would love for him to come in and contribute immediately.

Why does CSH keep recruiting uptempo players and then slow them down?!?!?!? Makes no sense. Hey coach, let them play wide open!!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Was getting love from MAJOR programs

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Huge pick up for Stan.

Welcome back to the Bulls, Waverly!

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

Nice that he stuck with USF after previously commiting to us in the past.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

link?

Doh ...

Do we need to have a talk about BP protocol? Hey moderate this.  :lmao

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982

Why does CSH keep recruiting uptempo players and then slow them down?!?!?!? Makes no sense. Hey coach, let them play wide open!!

IF he does then he'll be the head coach at USF for years to come. Right now I have a hard time seeing Heath coach past this season.

Also with bringing in so many Juco and transfers Heath is really going to handicap the next head coach in future recruiting.

• 1 year later...

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

After seeing oregon knock off arizona tonight i was reminded of how much waverly would have helped our front line

He is averaging 6 pts 4 rebs in 12 mins off the bench. The wonders he would have been able to do on our team with that 6 11 frame........

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61696/waverly-austin

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982

After seeing oregon knock off arizona tonight i was reminded of how much waverly would have helped our front line

He is averaging 6 pts 4 rebs in 12 mins off the bench. The wonders he would have been able to do on our team with that 6 11 frame........

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61696/waverly-austin

He's averaging 4pts and 3.6 rebs

Oregon plays a style different then Heath Ball, where they actually get more possessions and opportunity then USF. Austin is now a world beater and coming out of JC he was not as good as Jerrid Famous. What Austin would done was let Fitz and Rudd play their natural positions. Looking at Fitz soft ass play I can still see USF having some trouble rebounding, not as much as they do now though.