• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami NCAA investigation - NCAA hands out fines, suspensions to the 8 players

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,305
  • Days Won:  10

The investagtion is now on the Asst. coaches that took recruits to Shapiro.  They will get some hard time penalties for doing what they knew to be wrong.  Every outsider seems to want Shalala's head but she is in good standing with everyone at the U and I do not see her going.   There is something else to remember, everyone in the athletic dept.  during 2002 and 2010 are GONE, two A.D.'s and all coaches, in football and basketball.  I can not see any loss of recruit spots.  A Bowl, maybe but why?

The admin. may get hit with penalties for not cutting Shapiro out.  They wanted to and did hire a private detective to check up on Shapiro but he could not find anything he was doing wrong or illegal.

Players, coaches, and staff knew about this.  The program will get nailed for scholarships and bowls, because it clearly indicates a lack of institutional control. 

Please provide a link for your Miami information?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they nail Miami it brings up a good point.  Will recruits like Chickillo still go, even though his chances of going pro have been reduced somewhat.  No bowls, no TV and reduced scholarships could will reduce the player quality and how they do against teams.  Also, will schools like Florida or Oklahoma want to play them still if they are not as competitive?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15510504/sympathy-for-devils-no-just-canes-that-must-deal-with-demonizing

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,576
  • Days Won:  423

If they nail Miami it brings up a good point.  Will recruits like Chickillo still go, even though his chances of going pro have been reduced somewhat.  No bowls, no TV and reduced scholarships could will reduce the player quality and how they do against teams.  Also, will schools like Florida or Oklahoma want to play them still if they are not as competitive?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15510504/sympathy-for-devils-no-just-canes-that-must-deal-with-demonizing

Maybe MM can throw some light on this .... Love your new avatar, BTW.

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

I have gone through so **** many paged trying to find links that are now longer available or items I just can not find except the one here.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110830/COLUMNISTS02/308300092/1002/sports/Eric-Crawford-University-Louisville-feels-tentacles-scandal?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

The item about the detective was a newspaper column with an A.D. but I can not find it.  All I can do for now is this.

I have gone through so **** many paged trying to find links that are now longer available or items I just can not find except the one here.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20110830/COLUMNISTS02/308300092/1002/sports/Eric-Crawford-University-Louisville-feels-tentacles-scandal?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

The item about the detective was a newspaper column with an A.D. but I can not find it.  All I can do for now is this.

Thank goodness you did not bring up the piece of crap article written by no research Jason Whitlock.  This article does not help you case either. 

Miami lacked institutional controls, clearly the administration looked the other way or at least had coaches that led them down the marry path of what they thought was compliance but had no safeguards.  When one guy is dropping that kind of money you need to make sure keep him away from the players or if he is, it is controlled by staff members. 

However, if you are assessing that the coaches who have moved on are guilty, then you are right.  They should be terminated and banned for a while.  If I worked for employer and broke the law and he should have seen it, he is partly to blame.  What say you.

http://m.yahoo.com/w/sports/home/experts/article?offset=0&urn=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Crivals%3A20050301%3Ancaaf%2Carticle%2Crivals-1259041%3A1&.ts=1314956814&.ysid=B_EjJhw3gPAQxhIbgPBTncCG&.intl=US&.lang=en

In addition, the Paul Dee factor could be taken into account. He served as the chairman of the NCAA Committee on Infractions for the case involving USC 's Reggie Bush. USC received a two-year postseason ban and was docked 30 scholarships over three years. Dee's famous statement in the case was that "high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance."

Well, Dee was Miami's athletic director for much of the period that Shapiro said he was providing illegal benefits. And there is no question that Shapiro was a booster in good standing at Miami. Thus, using Dee's logic that high-profile athletes demand high-profile compliance, Miami will be subject to high-profile sanctions.

I'm betting when all is said and done, Miami's punishment will be harsher than USC's. And that's no slap on the wrist.

Another example of Miami football players bad decisions.    Why, he twitted what is the best strip club in Miami.  Now, that might not have been him because he was supposedly at a fan fest event.  But Golden decided not to take the chance.

Though he was not among the eight punished by the NCAA, senior Aldarius Johnson was suspended indefinitely by Hurricanes coach Al Golden.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/01/2384714/parents-of-suspended-miami-hurricanes.html

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

That is not journalism.  I am sure the NCAA will find out the facts and make their own conclusions, enjoy the sanctions.

So if these successful people were willing to give Shapiro their money, why wouldn't a bunch of college athletes trust him enough to take his money. Golden told the Herald:

"Now we're asking why these 18- and 19-year-old players from an entirely different socio-economic background didn't turn him down when he offered them what, $170 for something?'' he said.

Golden then pointed out that yes, his players were still wrong, and they should have not accepted the money and parties, but then again it was all because "Shapiro wanted to fulfill his dreams of hanging out with players."

http://www.businessinsider.com/al-golden-nevin-shapiro-2011-9

They should know better, you should be telling them in a monthly meeting that gifts, meals, and etc are not allowed.  The university did a bad job of enforcing the rules and setting standards.

Archived