• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mens Basketball is Ranked!....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

...as one of the biggest underachievers in men's basketball, according to Pat Forde.

South Florida: This spot easily could have gone to DePaul, but at least the Blue Demons have been to the NCAA tourney in recent times (2004) and even won a game upon getting there. The Bulls, despite membership in two prestigious conferences (the Big East and before that Conference USA when it was legit), have not darkened the Dance since 1992. USF has just two all-time NCAA tournament appearances and has never won a game there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6595711

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

...as one of the biggest underachievers in men's basketball, according to Pat Forde.

South Florida: This spot easily could have gone to DePaul, but at least the Blue Demons have been to the NCAA tourney in recent times (2004) and even won a game upon getting there. The Bulls, despite membership in two prestigious conferences (the Big East and before that Conference USA when it was legit), have not darkened the Dance since 1992. USF has just two all-time NCAA tournament appearances and has never won a game there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6595711

Pat's got some inconsistent criteria there but at least we're in some pretty esteemed company ...

• Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

WE'RE IN FLORIDA! WE SHOULD BE WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS EVERY YEAR!

But seriously, that's a fair analysis. At least we had an NIT appearance recently, in a game we should have won if not for a BS call.  Regardless of this past year I still think we're on an upward trend.

But seriously, that's a fair analysis. At least we had an NIT appearance recently, in a game we should have won if not for a BS call.  Regardless of this past year I still think we're on an upward trend.

The State of Florida is not a basketball state... it's a football state.  Look at where the top high school basketball players come from -- Florida is not on that list.

The University of Florida has done well... recruiting players from OUTSIDE Florida. But Miami and Florida State have not done that much better than USF over the years.  Why do you think that is?

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  12

While I'll agree with you in terms of Miami, Florida State has at least made the tournament the past three years and even won some games in it this year. I would have to say that Florida State is doing far better than we are.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The State of Florida is not a basketball state... it's a football state.  Look at where the top high school basketball players come from -- Florida is not on that list.

The University of Florida has done well... recruiting players from OUTSIDE Florida. But Miami and Florida State have not done that much better than USF over the years.  Why do you think that is?

I believe his remarks were an attempt at satire.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

I would have Northwestern #1 and USF #2. 

this is just plain embarassing to be called out like this.

Woolard isnt doing much to improve this either.  Basketball will continue to sit on the backburner. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Woolard isnt doing much to improve this either.  Basketball will continue to sit on the backburner.   

Well basketball is pretty much getting full sale facilities upgrades and more than likely a new coach after this up coming season (i see us being even worse than this year).  I wouldn't say it's on the back burner at all.  What else would you suggest?

• Content Count:  3,084

Well basketball is pretty much getting full sale facilities upgrades and more than likely a new coach after this up coming season (i see us being even worse than this year).  I wouldn't say it's on the back burner at all.  What else would you suggest?

What I have been suggesting for the last last 15 years, a coach with some street cred and recognition. 

kids dont grow up wanting to play basketball for USF, we need a well thought out, out of the box thinking hire. 

not the safe pick.  Id want better but Id take Bruce Pearl. 

completely agree this upcoming year will be worse. 

• Content Count:  1,079

What I have been suggesting for the last last 15 years, a coach with some street cred and recognition. 

kids dont grow up wanting to play basketball for USF, we need a well thought out, out of the box thinking hire. 

not the safe pick.  Id want better but Id take Bruce Pearl. 

completely agree this upcoming year will be worse. 

The new facilities will make it infinitely easier to attract better coaches, provided that we will pay fair market value...

Archived