• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wow, Big East not looking so good.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

we're still a pretty deep conference.  just because one team isn't in the top 3, there isn't anything to worry about.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

At the beginning of the tournament the Big East had 16.6% of the teams. Right now they have 12.5%

If they had one more team still in it they would have almost 19%.

I never thought a Big East team to win it all (well, maybe Pitt) but it really isn't that bad.

Haters gonna hate.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

At the beginning of the tournament the Big East had 16.6% of the teams. Right now they have 12.5%

I never thought a Big East team to win it all (well, maybe Pitt) but it really isn't that bad.

Haters gonna hate.

+1 ... except I thought Notre Dame had the best shot to win it all.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Haters gonna hate.

Until that jump shooting team, of all the possible matchups,  ran into the best defensive FG percentage team in the country.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Haters gonna hate.

Until that jump shooting team, of all the possible matchups,  ran into the best defensive FG percentage team in the country.

I was stunned with that outcome ... but at least it gives me one more team to root for, outside of the BE teams and our old Sun Belt brethren, ODU and VCU.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Ok, I take some of it back. The BE was billed as slightly better then they were. Still think its idiotic (Charles Barkley) to call the conference "not that good" and "not having much talent, just good coaching".

Just noting that it is interesting that Marquette and UConn are the two left, the two that were middle of the pack for the conference. Perhaps they left a little more in the tank then the others who burned it up on conference play?

IDK about that.  They won 5 in a row, consecutive days, in the BE tournament.  Hard to imagine they left much in the tank.  I realize you mentioned conference play and not conference tourney.  But 5 games in 5 days had to burn whatever they left in reserve (if that was the case) during the season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

I read somewhere that every time a Big East team wins in the tourney each of the Big Easts 16 teams gets a $8,000 dollar share of the winnings?? Is this true??

A friend does some accounting work for the Missouri Valley Conference.  The way it was explained to me is that the conference does get a large chunk of change for each win.  And they pay it out over 6 years.  He mentioned $900K over 6 years for that conference.  It used to be a lump sum thing until someone years ago missed a free throw and it was billed as a $600K miss.  So now they pay it out over 6 years.  He told me basketball revenue drives the BE much more than football. 

Your $8K figure could be close to correct.  Might very well be higher.  $8K x 16 teams = $128K x 6 years = $768K.  But I can't believe the BE doesn't get more than the MVC.

I may be mis-remembering some of the numbers.  There was some scotch and then wine with dinner involved.  :Flossing

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Ok, I take some of it back. The BE was billed as slightly better then they were. Still think its idiotic (Charles Barkley) to call the conference "not that good" and "not having much talent, just good coaching".

Just noting that it is interesting that Marquette and UConn are the two left, the two that were middle of the pack for the conference. Perhaps they left a little more in the tank then the others who burned it up on conference play?

IDK about that.  They won 5 in a row, consecutive days, in the BE tournament.  Hard to imagine they left much in the tank.  I realize you mentioned conference play and not conference tourney.  But 5 games in 5 days had to burn whatever they left in reserve (if that was the case) during the season.

UCONN and UNC are probably the hottest teams in the tournament right now.  They have both continued to get better throughout the season.

always the scary teams in the tourney. 

as a BE guy Im rooting for the huskies, not like we have rivals. 

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I also thought Notre Dame was going to go farther, at least meet Kansas in the Elite 8...oh well. I saw they're 0-8 or 0-9 vs the ACC in the tourney...yuck. They do always seem to choke it away - at least that's the phrase I've heard from some guys who know more than I do about random stats.

I wouldn't say Uconn and UNC are the hottest teams. I think FSU and VCU are the two hottest teams...with Ohio State and UNC being the strongest looking. Kansas and Duke are getting there as usual.

Florida is being handed their ticket to the Final Four because their bracket is such weaksauce now. (Thanks Pitt) Other than Wisconsin, I don't see them having a tough time with any others who they might face, but I'm still hoping BYU gives them another exit like they did last year!

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I also thought Notre Dame was going to go farther, at least meet Kansas in the Elite 8...oh well. I saw they're 0-8 or 0-9 vs the ACC in the tourney...yuck. They do always seem to choke it away - at least that's the phrase I've heard from some guys who know more than I do about random stats.

I wouldn't say Uconn and UNC are the hottest teams. I think FSU and VCU are the two hottest teams...with Ohio State and UNC being the strongest looking. Kansas and Duke are getting there as usual.

Florida is being handed their ticket to the Final Four because their bracket is such weaksauce now. (Thanks Pitt) Other than Wisconsin, I don't see them having a tough time with any others who they might face, but I'm still hoping BYU gives them another exit like they did last year!

Never discount the team with the best player. As long as BYU shoots a good fg percentage, they should get by Florida.

Archived