• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Proposal: Light rail along 275 downtown to Tampa International

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

I was trying to find the best place to post this link but I'm not allowed to search this forum.  I'm sure the moderators will move it in the correct place.  It's good to see there might be some hope for the idea of light rail in Tampa.  This article talks about the council wanting to be build a light rail without the use of tax dollars.   They would like to build it right next to I-275.    The discussion is still in the early stages but I hope this picks up some steam. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2011/02/07/proposal-light-rail-along-275.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I like the idea of a monorail over a light rail:

http://bicycleaustin.info/rail/monorail.html

Guest nybullsfan

It sounds like they're saying the reson it got rejected alredy is becuse they weren't specific enough bout the route? Seems unrealistic.

I too, hope it happens, since I'm  big believer in mass transit over private cars. But you need the popultion density to make it reasonable.

• Content Count:  225

It sounds like they're saying the reson it got rejected alredy is becuse they weren't specific enough bout the route? Seems unrealistic.

I too, hope it happens, since I'm  big believer in mass transit over private cars. But you need the popultion density to make it reasonable.

+1.  I reallly hope the next mayor in Tampa takes some initiative on these issues.   I really hope they create transit like other cities (Dallas, Boston, etc)...where the transit will take you downtown and to all of the major sport venues in the city.   I love the idea of a walkable city (aka NYC).  Tampa has a small piece of that in Hyde Park .

I'm hoping that a light rail and hopefully a new rays ball park in downtown Tampa will helpl invegorate the city and take it to the next level.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You have to be sure you're going to have enough ridership to make it work.  In the 4 years since I've been here in Atlanta, I've heard all kinds of complaints saying that no one rides MARTA (bus or train).  I live about 30 miles NE of ATL and our county has its own bus system, but every time I've been on the train, unless I'm right in downtown, there's no one on it.  MARTA goes through some pretty rough neighborhoods and would be extremely dangerous at night. 

Here's the latest issue with MARTA per the Journal-Constitution: http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/marta-loses-riders-after-778226.html

If Tampa does a light rail, they need to be pretty sure that the route it takes will attract riders.  How does HART do there? 

• Content Count:  521

You have to be sure you're going to have enough ridership to make it work.  In the 4 years since I've been here in Atlanta, I've heard all kinds of complaints saying that no one rides MARTA (bus or train).  I live about 30 miles NE of ATL and our county has its own bus system, but every time I've been on the train, unless I'm right in downtown, there's no one on it.  MARTA goes through some pretty rough neighborhoods and would be extremely dangerous at night. 

Here's the latest issue with MARTA per the Journal-Constitution: http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/marta-loses-riders-after-778226.html

If Tampa does a light rail, they need to be pretty sure that the route it takes will attract riders.  How does HART do there? 

Public transit is a whole new dimension in the South.. on an everyday basis, MARTA is not taken during the workweek.. however, check MARTA during football, baseball, basketball or hockey games and people use it.. forr any event for that matter.  I think, as long as transit has airport, stadium and downtown in route, it will at least break even and benefit the city.

Here in tampa, its even more of a tourist city than ATL, and I think there's more potential. Include stops to ybor, downtown/channelside, RJS, and airport, with potential expansion to usf, and it will be a success.  With a potential speedrail connecting to orlando, ull get even more ridership annd pull in orl fanbase to bucs, bolts, and rays games.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

A monorail was offered to LA for free and they turned it down:

http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/la1963.html

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

As long as it is privately funded and manged, I'm all for it.

Guest nybullsfan

A monorail was offered to LA for free and they turned it down:

http://www.monorails.org/tmspages/la1963.html

Gotta love this quote - they were all ready to accept, until... until... wait for it...

"until Standard Oil got involved"

Yuppers! Private funding and managing from Big Business can always be trusted to do what's best for the people, even if they don't know it yet themselves.

Of course Standard Oil knew better than anyone what we needed!

All hail Chevron! Hurrah! Hurrah!

Archived