• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Bulls' complex springs to life

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Bulls' complex springs to life

By ADAM ADKINS | The Tampa Tribune

97541_0210usffac.jpg

Ken Eriksen won't open the 2011 softball season in his team's new stadium, but that's just fine. The University of South Florida head coach has waited for a facility upgrade for as long as he can remember, so waiting a couple of weeks longer certainly won't kill him.

"I just hope to see it completed before I die," Eriksen joked last week.

According to USF officials, the construction on both the new softball and baseball stadiums â part of the $33.5 million athletics facilities upgrades that began in June 2010 â should be completed by the end of the month.

The softball team, which opens its season Friday in the USF Wilson DeMarini Tournament at the Eddie C. Moore Complex in Clearwater, has targeted Feb. 24 for the first game in its new home. Should nothing unexpected arise, the baseball team is likely to play its scheduled home opener against Elon on Feb. 25 in its new digs.

But even if Lelo Prado's squad isn't able to take the field in its new stadium then, the Bulls' baseball coach won't be lodging any complaints. It's only a matter of time.

"You know it's there," Prado said. "It's not something that you're seeing in a book, or some sketches or anything. You see it driving off every day, you see it driving in every day."

USF executive associate athletics director Bill McGillis said construction on the athletics district, which includes new practice facilities for football and men's and women's basketball and a new soccer stadium in addition to baseball and softball stadiums, has moved "at a lightning pace," on schedule and as well as could have been envisioned.

"We've been very fortunate," McGillis said. "Any time you do a development like this, you run into minor surprises at a minimum and a lot of times major surprises, and there really haven't been major surprises here."

USF recently signed off on the completed Morsani Football Practice Facility, which includes three full-sized fields (two natural grass, one artificial), another artificial surface workout area and a 2,500-square-foot storage building, among other amenities. Skip Holtz's squad held its first workout in the new venue Monday.

Construction on the soccer stadium is well under way, and all of the exterior walls are up on the 50,000-square foot Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center, which is being built adjacent to the south face of the Sun Dome. Both are expected to be completed in late spring.

This phase of construction is essentially the second wave of upgrades, following the remodeling of the USF tennis courts and renovations at the track and field facility that included the installation of a new $3 million track.

USF athletics director Doug Woolard can't help but smile when he walks into his corner office in the main athletics building, which offers a pristine view of the daily work being done. He believes each facility meets the needs of USF's teams in terms of recruiting and player development, and also feels the three new stadiums will help enhance the fan experience because of unique design elements for each venue. Among the highlights are the bowl-type designs of the soccer and softball stadiums and the shared 30-foot-high hospitality deck between the baseball and softball stadiums.

"These facilities are first class, and certainly on par with or above any in the country," Woolard said.

There will be plenty of eyes on the work in the near future, allowing people to form their own opinions.

Woolard previously expressed his desire to lure as many championship events as possible to USF. That includes Big East Conference championship events as well as NCAA tournament events â such as the men's and women's soccer championships â and multiple Florida state high school tournaments.

On Wednesday, the Big East Conference announced its host sites for Olympic sport championship events in 2012 and 2013 and USF was awarded the men's and women's outdoor track and field and men's and women's tennis championships in 2012, and the softball championships in 2013. USF also will co-host the Big East men's and women's golf championships both years at Reunion Resort in Orlando.

While the completion of this wave of upgrades is on the horizon, it isn't the last one planned. A $35 million renovation of the Sun Dome is in the works and although that project still has some hurdles to clear before it gets the green light, Woolard said "we're planning full speed ahead."

And there could be other projects down the road.

"We'll continue to take a look to see if there is anything that would be beneficial for the university," Woolard said. "But this is going to be such a great improvement."

Link

• Content Count:  809

I wonder if USF is regretting playing the 2nd half of last baseball season at the Red. They were supposed to start construction halfway thru the season if i recall. I remember them planning on having the 2nd half of the season split between UT and Steinbrenner field.

Guest nybullsfan

Someone in the other thread said it was because the approvals didn't come in time, so it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

golf champoionships in orlando???

• Content Count:  1,390

So excited I'll be able to experience all of this as a student. I absolutely LOVE baseball and when I came here it was with hopes that one day in the future they'd eventually get around to building a new ballpark.

Like I said, I love baseball and went to about 1/2 of the games last year (which I know isn't amazing but when you factor in the nuances of a baseball schedule it's not too shabby) but I couldn't stand those bleachers for 9 innings. After a few innings me and whoever I was with would always end up walking down the lines and standing the rest of the game. Now I get a nice comfy chairback? I'm hoping to be at nearly all of the games this year ;D

See ya guys at the Red  :gobulls

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

ucif conspiracy???

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Wow.  Its not even done and it looks beautiful.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I can't wait to go to a baseball game in the new stadium. I'm hoping I can make it to the first one, but it looks like I won't be able to be in Tampa for it.

It looks great.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Reunion's not really in Orlando.  It's almost half-way between Lakeland and Orlando, closer to Orlando though.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Reunion's not really in Orlando.  It's almost half-way between Lakeland and Orlando, closer to Orlando though.

Reunion Resort is a great golf/vacation destination.

Here's a short video that shows much of their property plus highlights from their Nicklaus, Watson and Palmer designed courses. (might still be the only resort in the usa that has 3 different golf courses designed by each great above that make up their 54 hole complex.

Archived