• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USA Today: The rise of UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,047
  • Days Won:  11

seems like usf feel asleep at the wheel

usf needs a new AD

Amen to that!

hey...he got rid of the jim  ;D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

"I know everybody is assuming in the next few years we're going to have a lot of movement (in conference expansion), not just with the non-automatic qualifiers but across the board," said ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit. "George O'Leary, I remember when he took that job, there was a university out there willing to give him a chance. I think a lot of people thought, well OK we're not going to hear from George O'Leary any more.

"Just looking at the results the last couple of years they put a very, very competitive team and competitive product out there. They've got a new stadium that their fan base is really embracing what they are doing there. It's interesting to compare them to South Florida because if you had brought these two schools up 7 or 8 years ago, you would have never assumed they would be able to get on a field and compete with Miami or a Florida State or Florida. But they've made a lot of progress in a short time."

UCF hasn't competed on the field with any of those listed (USF certainly has) but they certainly have been beaten like a rented mule four-out-of-four against USF.  I don't get the comparison except that they are in debt up to their eyeballs by trying to buy their own relevancy while trying to ride the coattails of others

I hope that Georgia throttles their punk asses  >

If USF doesn't start picking it up in recruiting those wins vs the so called "big boys" in this state are all for naught. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,723
  • Days Won:  424

Bump :)

If we're going to bump it, let's bump it with another homer article ....

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-bianchi-ucf-georgia-liberty-bowl-020101231,0,4767703,full.column

8-)

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

usf needs a new AD

UCF's rise in MBB started when they built their new arena.

Let's see what happens when USF gets their new practice facility and renovates the inside of the Sun Dome.

• Content Count:  259
  • Days Won:  0

usf needs a new AD

Let's see what happens when USF gets their new practice facility and renovates the inside of the Sun Dome.

Now I don't know how much demolition costs and stuff but isn't USF looking at investing like $50 mill into the SunDome? UCF built that beautiful new arena for $85 mill, I think I'd rather just start from scratch. I think new arena would go further in the minds of fans than some renovation because Sun Dome doesn't encourage much positive thought.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,723
  • Days Won:  424

usf needs a new AD

Now I don't know how much demolition costs and stuff but isn't USF looking at investing like $50 mill into the SunDome? UCF built that beautiful new arena for $85 mill, I think I'd rather just start from scratch. I think new arena would go further in the minds of fans than some renovation because Sun Dome doesn't encourage much positive thought.

That's really a non-issue. Demoing and going from scratch is not an option now. I just hope, along with the interior renovations, they're figurng in an exterior spruce up also ...

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

A pressure washer and some cans of paint can't be that much.

Though, if any indications on how the newer facilities and academic buildings are being built, the Sun Dome will likely get some sort of brick facelift on the outside to match the Muma Center, baseball fields, and other USF buildings that use the brick and the green roofs/accents. They could keep the same roof, and either keep it cleaned...or paint it Green or something. I'd say we might see this happen after they finish the other stuff and the inside of the dome.

Much easier to deal with a so-so outside appeal when the inside is cushy.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

"I know everybody is assuming in the next few years we're going to have a lot of movement (in conference expansion), not just with the non-automatic qualifiers but across the board," said ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit. "George O'Leary, I remember when he took that job, there was a university out there willing to give him a chance. I think a lot of people thought, well OK we're not going to hear from George O'Leary any more.

"Just looking at the results the last couple of years they put a very, very competitive team and competitive product out there. They've got a new stadium that their fan base is really embracing what they are doing there. It's interesting to compare them to South Florida because if you had brought these two schools up 7 or 8 years ago, you would have never assumed they would be able to get on a field and compete with Miami or a Florida State or Florida. But they've made a lot of progress in a short time."

UCF hasn't competed on the field with any of those listed (USF certainly has) but they certainly have been beaten like a rented mule four-out-of-four against USF.  I don't get the comparison except that they are in debt up to their eyeballs by trying to buy their own relevancy while trying to ride the coattails of others.

In 2006, UCF did play Florida at Florida, and got throttled 42-0.  I was at that game, it was sweet.  But your point is valid and taken. 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I just hope, along with the interior renovations, they're figurng in an exterior spruce up also ...

There will be exterior renovations done as well.

Archived