• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Students at bball games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

I know this is discussed a lot, but we really need students at basketball games. I honestly don't understand why people don't come out. It seems like we get just as many students at soccer games as basketball games.

I understand that it's winter break, and most students are at home, but last night's attendance was awful. And of those in the section, only about half of the front row was even standing, much less making noise. I was trying to get people to stand and yell with us and they just didn't want to. I don't get it.

Me being a student and seeing the advertising around campus, I see what athletics does to promote basketball games. There are sandwich boards at some of the popular areas (Cooper Hall, Library, Argos Dining), and signs on some sidewalks. Students get emails a couple times a weeks telling them about games for the week. As far as advertising for the game, I think athletics does a decent job.

What I believe they need to improve on, is giving incentives for students to go. A lot of people I know are aware that there's a game, but just don't want to go. Give them a reason to go: free stuff. Whether it's free pizza after the game (if you give it before they'll just leave before the game), tshirts, or some other promotional item, do it. For the casual student who doesn't necessarily care about basketball, this gives them a reason to want to go.

I wrote on USF Athletics Facebook wall about a promotional idea I had: Jarrid Famous headband night. Wouldn't it be cool to see a whole section of students in headbands? Stuff like this will eventually catch on and students will want to come out.

The first game this year they gave away "Own the Dome" shirts for students. I think that's good. I wasn't able to make it to that game, because I was in Tallahassee for the women's soccer NCAA Tournament game. I have tried to get one  of those shirts for weeks now, but athletics doesn't do it. They want to promote a sense of unity, and tell students to wear those shirts, yet when someone wants to get one, they refuse.

I'll always be at as many games as humanly possible, and I plead for any students on here: bring your friends out and have a good time. The best game for me this year was the UConn women's game. Why? We had the most students at that game and we were pretty loud (at the few times we did something good..haha). The point is, the more people who come, the more fun the game is, and the more students will want to be a part of it.

[/rant] and GO BULLS!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

I got the solution. Win some **** games.

Also it would help if students werent forced to leave their residence halls after winter break.

Just win baby.

• Content Count:  3,616

when has UCF won lately...? they average better than us and play in conference USA! I think Athletics should somehow get frats and sororities to get a lot of their pledges to go to games. Its just an idea but I really want to come up with way to get other students to games. I know winning definitely helps but we can do a lot better than yesterday even during winter break

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I got the solution. Win some **** games.

You mean like winning 20 games ... going 9-9 in the toughest hoops conference ... making the post season for the first time in a decade.

It's obviously not just about winning games ... more bribery would be good start ... may take multiple years of winning ... bottom line, school spirit for hoops just sucks royally.

And actually, I didn't realize winter break had already started ... Student turnout wasn't THAT bad considering.

• Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

And actually, I didn't realize winter break had already started ... Student turnout wasn't THAT considerin.

Last day of exams was December 10th, and students were forced out of dorms by December 11th.

it should be free for students

every home game is, lol

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Winning is a start, but its only part of the puzzle.

First, lets look at the SunDome.  Its a dump and students don't want to go to a dump.  Thankfully, it should be getting redone soon.  Plus the student seating is done horribly.  I understand that its hard to change it mid-season and that there are donors and season ticket holders, but it needs to be redone so that the students are in one uniform section(s).  A quick fix for this season would be to close off the upper sections until the lower sections are filled.  I often see students go right into the second level when there are plenty of seats still down in the first level.  If the students were packed in more, I think there would be more energy in the student section. Also, having them split up and the band separate, kills alot of cheers and chants because they drown each other out, or get off pace.

Second, the need to work on the atmosphere. Its very bush league.  Just watch how other schools operate during games and it puts us to shame.  Just some examples.  Our intro and starting lineups are not exciting. It doesn't pump anyone up, and the pep band doesn't even time things right to where they play the fight song when the team comes out. (Not to mention Rocky has looked dumb the past week waving a flag thats wrapped around pole so it won't unfurl). Our cheerleaders and sundolls don't come out until just before the game starts, disappear at halftime, and are tucked away, sitting behind the baseline press rows. When I went to the UCF game, they were out early leading cheers, always right along the baseline, and standing.  I understand the advertisement angle, but the media timeout contests are getting cornier and cornier.  What happened to the good old half court shot? Or the lay up-free throw-3 pointer shootout?  Now we're stuck with eat the doughnut, empty the tissue box, and sort the M&M's.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Maybe we should have an on-campus arena...

Winning is a start, but its only part of the puzzle.

First, lets look at the SunDome.  Its a dump and students don't want to go to a dump.  Thankfully, it should be getting redone soon.  Plus the student seating is done horribly.  I understand that its hard to change it mid-season and that there are donors and season ticket holders, but it needs to be redone so that the students are in one uniform section(s).  A quick fix for this season would be to close off the upper sections until the lower sections are filled.  I often see students go right into the second level when there are plenty of seats still down in the first level.  If the students were packed in more, I think there would be more energy in the student section. Also, having them split up and the band separate, kills alot of cheers and chants because they drown each other out, or get off pace.

Second, the need to work on the atmosphere. Its very bush league.  Just watch how other schools operate during games and it puts us to shame.  Just some examples.  Our intro and starting lineups are not exciting. It doesn't pump anyone up, and the pep band doesn't even time things right to where they play the fight song when the team comes out. (Not to mention Rocky has looked dumb the past week waving a flag thats wrapped around pole so it won't unfurl). Our cheerleaders and sundolls don't come out until just before the game starts, disappear at halftime, and are tucked away, sitting behind the baseline press rows. When I went to the UCF game, they were out early leading cheers, always right along the baseline, and standing.  I understand the advertisement angle, but the media timeout contests are getting cornier and cornier.  What happened to the good old half court shot? Or the lay up-free throw-3 pointer shootout?  Now we're stuck with eat the doughnut, empty the tissue box, and sort the M&M's.

+1

Archived