• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Attendence lowest since 2006

Why has the attendance been so low  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Why do you think our home attendance has stunk this year?  Why at the UConn game did the fans next to me sell their tickets to UConn people and the entire season the guy behind me never showed up.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Despite the excitement surrounding Skip Holtz's first season with the Bulls, USF's announced home attendance -- an average of 40,849 fans at seven home games -- dropped 22 percent from 2009, to the Bulls' lowest average since 2006.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/usf-home-attendance-lowest-2006

• Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

I had this discussion with someone the other day  I think the biggest reason for both the drop in attendance is USF doesn’t have the generation of fans that an FSU or UF has.  You see I have friends that go to UF and FSU games.  They don’t go to all of their games.  When they don’t go, it’s not a big deal because there could be another fan that will go to replace them because they have sooo many generation of fans.  With USF and UCF, they have that issue, the minute one of us can’t go to the game…you notice the drop immediately because we don’t have numerous generations of fans.  So even when FSU or UF is down, they still manage to have good attendance.  I think the only way to increase attendance quickly would be get a few bandwagon fans when we start to win and get in the top 25.    You could do that or be on campus, that could naturally increase the amount of students going because it’s so easy to go to the game.    I doubt you will find a school as young as USF or UCF (both started in the 1950s) with a start up football program with large attendance.      I hope we do increase attendance quickly because the better our attendance .. the better game day atmosphere we will have which in turn will attract better recruits. 

• Content Count:  1,457

Very good coach = 20% more attendees.  Average coach = 20 % less attendees.

• Content Count:  2,277

I think the economy has had a HUGE impact on the attendance both at USF and Bucs games this year.  The Tampa Bay area has been hit harder than just about any other city in the country (I know it's in the top 5).  Both the Bulls and Bucs have had pretty decent seasons this year and I think would have a higher attendance if more people had the discretionary income to do things like to go sporting events.  Obviously being in the top 25 would bring people out that wouldn't normally come out, but I think the economy is the biggest detriment to attendance right now.

• Content Count:  225

I think the economy has had a HUGE impact on the attendance both at USF and Bucs games this year.  The Tampa Bay area has been hit harder than just about any other city in the country (I know it's in the top 5).  Both the Bulls and Bucs have had pretty decent seasons this year and I think would have a higher attendance if more people had the discretionary income to do things like to go sporting events.  Obviously being in the top 25 would bring people out that wouldn't normally come out, but I think the economy is the biggest detriment to attendance right now.

With the Bucs I would agree with you because their tickets are extremely expensive.  With USF, I wouldn't.  We have the cheapest tickets in the BCS.  Some tickets are only like 10 dollars

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Goose.....funny how ALL of your posts figure out some way to tie in UCF.......hmmmm why is that?!?

• Content Count:  3,649

I know the economy has effected many. It is not just the price of the ticket, it's the gas to the stadium, parking costs, and then whatever you spend when you get inside the stadium. Tailgating can also be expensive.

For some, just watching on TV is a much cheaper and more convienient alternative.

Not trying to make excuses but I think it is reality.

I think some were turned off by the way the Leavitt firing was handled. Other bandwagoners probably dropped off the team last season when their 2007 expectations were never met. Up until last season, USF was in and out of the top 25....this year we did not have that.

Weak schedule this year. Unfavorable game times.

I think there are several reasons that just all add up.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Why do you think our home attendance has stunk this year?   Why at the UConn game did the fans next to me sell their tickets to UConn people and the entire season the guy behind me never showed up.

Why don't you ask them?

• Content Count:  2,994

Economy argument doesn't work for USF, not when you can get tickets super cheap. Bucs tickets are bottoming out at twice what the lowest USF ticket sells for probably.

Tampa fans are a melting pot of northerners and people who grew up being fans of the 3 traditional FL schools. That won't change, but as USF continues to grow and age, its fanbase will get established, even if the team isn't a super contender. It's very similar to the issue the Rays have, as far as being young and trying to establish an actual fanbase, and not just a fanbase that shows up when they're in the playoffs and/or playing a popular team (and the Rays were contenders and still didn't get the support). That said, USF needs to keep having winning seasons, get some time ranked in the Top 25 here and there, and keep beating some of the more recognized teams.

I think at this point, the attendance figures are normalizing. Attendance skyrocketed in 2007 and 2008 when we were ranked and had some top ranked matchups that were played in RJS. Even in 2009, we beat FSU away, and had big matchups with Cincinnati and West Virginia and Miami. This year the home schedule had 7 games, but the only game that came close to being intriguing to anyone was probably Pittsburgh, and by the time that game came around, both teams were average at best. I think the attendance was a little down, but those years of 2007 and 2008 really piqued everyone's expectations.

That's why if we ever build an OCS, I'm a big proponent of it being 55-60K capacity...MAX. Oregon's Autzen Stadium holds like 56,000, and it's packed every game. IMHO, a sold out 35 or 40K looks and sounds alot better than a half full 65K. (Obviously, if they set the capacity to 55K or so, there would be room to expand after several seasons of sellouts - where it was proven that the attendance could be consistently that high.)

Archived