• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Effect of Randy Shannon firing

SANJAY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

Something else to point out.  Ever since they left the Orange Bowl, their recruiting class has gotten slightly worse.  It's still good but not elite like the 2008 class.  The guy who was on 1040am was soo pist last year with Miami's recruiting class. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

I started this thread on the main board.  I should of posted it on this thread.

Miami's demise is USF gain?

I think out of all the programs that can maybe remain at mediocrity, it can be Miami.  The main reason is money.   When FSU was stuck in mediocrity, boosters say name your price for the best coaching staff and they would pay for it.  The same goes for Florida.      This paragraph about the firing of Randy Shannon stood out to me.

"Shannon is expected to receive a buyout of around $1.5 million. Miami -- a private school that doesn't have the deepest of pockets when it comes to paying coaches -- has had a fundraising drive to support athletics for several years and believes it will be able to put together enough money to lure a top-notch staff."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5858214&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

Miami does have the advantage of having all this talent in their backyard but they are having a hard time keeping their own talent.   Even UCF is starting to steal a good amount of their talent (Godfrey).     That is their only advantage they have but they might not have the money that a public university can offer (UF, FSU, USF, UCF) to pay for whole a new coaching staff.  Maybe they might have enough money to get a good head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator.    But a good coaching staff from top to bottom like what an FSU or UF currently has.

But who wants to coach at a university where there fans are horrible.   Greg Schiano and Tuberville both turn down Miami before they decided to give Randy Shannon a try.  There is a reason they turn down Miami.   I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of them.  

Like I said earlier, I think that is another reason we could possibly steal their recruits is Miami's terrible fan base.  I know there is a thread every week about our attendance.  But if you compare our attendance against the Miami Hurricanes, our attendance is actually decent.   Here is another piece from Herbstreit blasting Miami's boring game day atmosphere and fans.

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit comments on Miami playing in Joe Robbie Stadium

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2010/10/13/1749081/espns-kirk-herbstreit-showers-noles-with-praise-acc-notes

The following article was his opinion on Miami, FSU, and Florida.

I thought this was interesting:

On Miami:

Miami quit.  There was no fight.  No leadership. Florida State just dominated them. Is there any way to get Miami back on campus?  is there a plan?  Even if it is 40,000 seat stadium.  They must get back on campus.  It felt like a corporate, NFL atmosphere.  College football is very different from NFL.  The atmosphere there isn't conducive to playing inspired football.  I am not blaming the stadium, but it's not.  It is not a home field advantage.  It's the least of their worries, but it's not.

So do you guys think this is farfetched?

What is farfetched is that Miami does not have deep pockets to hire/fire coaches...They got plenyt of $$$

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,589
  • Days Won:  424

Well that came from the ESPN's ACC beat writer

I've heard it from other sources, too .... Interesting listening to their pre-game show down there yesterday and they were making similar statements, talking about the new facility FSU is building for $70M (?) and UM just getting plans to build something for only $13M.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I've heard it from other sources, too .... Interesting listening to their pre-game show down there yesterday and they were making similar statements, talking about the new facility FSU is building for $70M (?) and UM just getting plans to build something for only $13M.

And I heard that USF's new facility was gonna cost........wait for it...............with a pinky finger in your mouth.........wait..........One million dollars!!!!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  225

And I heard that USF's new facility was gonna cost........wait for it...............with a pinky finger in your mouth.........wait..........One million dollars!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The renderings of FSU's projected practice trailer look like a Cracker Barrel on Andro. I don't know why all the Nole Trolls have to come here to extoll their virtues. If they were all that great and had won against us lately, I guess they wouldn't have to be doing that. Big 4 sans billboard. Let the games begin.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Looks like they're about to get Gruden as their new HC, so the idea of stealing some of their recruits probably fades with that news.

• Content Count:  104

Looks like they're about to get Gruden as their new HC, so the idea of stealing some of their recruits probably fades with that news.

That sounds highly unlikely. Where did you hear that?

• Content Count:  578

That sounds highly unlikely. Where did you hear that?

Twitter, some reports based off tweets by reporters, and their boards are going crazy. You'll have to weed through the crap and believe what you want. The last tweet was from a reporter with the Miami Herald

http://twitter.com/Manny_Navarro

Hearing Jon Gruden has agreed to $3.4 mil deal to become #UM's next coach. Trying hard to confirm it officially.

Here are some of their forums:

http://www.miami-hurricanes.com/forum/tt.asp?appid=1

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=13&f=2927

http://miami.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=903&fid=116&style=2

Archived