• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Win the next two and go to a BCS bowl!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

AB... I know your excited but read the existing threads first.... there are about 3 on this subject already....

We have to get major help to get to a BCS game... cuse and WVU both have to lose one more plus we have to win out.

There's acutally a decent chance.

If we win out the most likely scenerio would be:

-Syracuse winning out.

-PITT winning out, after losing next week.

-USF winning out.

TIE: USF, Pitt, Syracuse all at 5-2 in big east play.  We most likely have the upperhand with a win at Miami as well.

Bingo.  People are forgetting, we would own tie breaker with Pitt, and also that we would have the highest BCS ranking in a 3 way if we win out (due to potential Miami win).  Doesn't matter if Syracuse beat us, unless it's a 2 way tie.

While we have the best chance of being ranked if we win out, what if none of the 3 is in the BCS top 25?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

AB... I know your excited but read the existing threads first.... there are about 3 on this subject already....

We have to get major help to get to a BCS game... cuse and WVU both have to lose one more plus we have to win out.

-Syracuse winning out.

-USF winning out.

TIE: USF, Pitt, Syracuse all at 5-2 in big east play.  We most likely have the upperhand with a win at Miami as well.

Bingo.  People are forgetting, we would own tie breaker with Pitt, and also that we would have the highest BCS ranking in a 3 way if we win out (due to potential Miami win).  Doesn't matter if Syracuse beat us, unless it's a 2 way tie.

While we have the best chance of being ranked if we win out, what if none of the 3 is in the BCS top 25?

Good quesiton...That would suck.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

-Syracuse winning out.

-USF winning out.

Decent chance is not controlling your own destiny.  Lots of scenarios where we win out and end up in ties with WVU and/or Cuse, in which case we would not get the bid. 

And really, when you play as poorly as this team has, you really shouldn't control your own destiny.  This team would loose by at least 10 points to every team USF has fielded since I graduated in 2004.  Would it be cool to play in a BCS game?  No doubt, but I'd much prefer someone - anyone - step up and earn it!

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

-Syracuse winning out.

-USF winning out.

Well although they only publish the top 25 apparently you can take the BCS standings out a ways. Here is an article from Brian Bennett on 10/31 saying SU was the highest ranked BCS team at the time. #30

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/14419/orange-lead-big-easts-weak-bcs-numbers

these BCS standings mean almost nothing for the Big East. They could come into play in a tiebreaker for the title if multiple teams are tied and the head-to-head records are not decisive. But for that to happen, Pitt must lose at least twice, and then there are so many possible scenarios that it makes my head hurt.

-Syracuse winning out.

-USF winning out.

Decent chance is not controlling your own destiny.  Lots of scenarios where we win out and end up in ties with WVU and/or Cuse, in which case we would not get the bid. 

And really, when you play as poorly as this team has, you really shouldn't control your own destiny.  This team would loose by at least 10 points to every team USF has fielded since I graduated in 2004.  Would it be cool to play in a BCS game?  No doubt, but I'd much prefer someone - anyone - step up and earn it!

+1 In that Scenario USF would win the tie-breaker but flip the winner to West Virginia in the Backyard Brawl and we are 0-2 with head to head against SU and WVU. Lot's of football to be played.

Just glad we are bowl eligible.

these BCS standings mean almost nothing for the Big East. They could come into play in a tiebreaker for the title if multiple teams are tied and the head-to-head records are not decisive. But for that to happen, Pitt must lose at least twice, and then there are so many possible scenarios that it makes my head hurt.

To be clear, Big East title has no tie-breaker.  If 3 teams finish 5-2 then all three a Big East champions.  The tie breakers are only for the BCS invitation.

• Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Pretty sure Grouper is correct. In a three way tie I don't believe head to head matters at all. Highest rank gets bcs bid. Win out and we go to a bcs bowl.

Btw anyone who thinks we could end the season by winning out and not be ranked is CRAZY. we would be 9-3 and my guess is ranked about 18 - 20th. Mainly because the voters would ber all over the Skip Holtz is the man bandwagon.

Just win baby!

Pretty sure Grouper is correct. In a three way tie I don't believe head to head matters at all. Highest rank gets bcs bid. Win out and we go to a bcs bowl.

Btw anyone who thinks we could end the season by winning out and not be ranked is CRAZY. we would be 9-3 and my guess is ranked about 18 - 20th. Mainly because the voters would ber all over the Skip Holtz is the man bandwagon.

Just win baby!

I don't think that is what Grouper is saying.....he is saying yes the head to head do play a role in who goes to the BCS game. They don't play a role in who is BE Champion.

For Example, UConn and WVU in 2007 finished with the same Big East record, 5-2. Yet the last game of the season WVU beat UConn. So West Virginia went to the BCS game but UConn was still a BE co-champion.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

I think the consensus here is that, even in a 3 way tie, head to head is first tiebreaker. If all 3 teams are 1-1 against the others, it goes to ranking .... Nobody has provided a link to the official ruling.

I think the consensus here is that, even in a 3 way tie, head to head is first tiebreaker. If all 3 teams are 1-1 against the others, it goes to ranking .... Nobody has provided a link to the official ruling.

Yeah, and don't put me in the boat of suggesting it goes right to bcs standings.  I have been on a one-man crusade to dispel this myth - even posting links to Big East tie change rules on conference website - though I have found they do little to convince.

For 3+ teams tied you form a mini-conference and take the team with the best record from within that mini-conference.  Only if teams have same record within mini-conference do you have to take BCS standings.  As an example, in a WVU, Syracuse, USF tie, the mini-conference records would be

Syracuse - 2-0

WVU      - 1-1

USF        - 0-2

Syracuse would get bid.  USF needs either both Sryacuse and WVU to loose another one or a team that they each have lost to and USF has beat to end up in the mini-conference tie.

Archived