• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Maybe I am old school, but thought back to back time-outs were illegal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, giving your team the best chance to win, such an *******....  ::)  Look, don't blame strong, blame the rulebook.  What he did was completely legal, and most coaches would do that. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Yeah, giving your team the best chance to win, such an *******....  ::)  Look, don't blame strong, blame the rulebook.  What he did was completely legal, and most coaches would do that. 

I have seen countless football games end in a last second field goal try, or a field goal try in overtime. I've seen fewer than five coaches in college and the NFL combined in 20+ years of watching football do what Strong did - I mean specifically trying to time it so that the timeout was called at a point when it was too late to stop the play and the aborted kick still went off.

These numbers seem to contradict what you're saying.

• Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

I have seen countless football games end in a last second field goal try, or a field goal try in overtime. I've seen fewer than five coaches in college and the NFL combined in 20+ years of watching football do what Strong did - I mean specifically trying to time it so that the timeout was called at a point when it was too late to stop the play and the aborted kick still went off.

you dont watch enough football then, it is very common

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

you dont watch enough football then, it is very common

Five is definitely low, but in absolutely no way whatsoever have "most coaches" done it. Icing the kicker happens all the time, not field goals that end up not counting because of timeouts. This is only the second time I remember it happening this year in games that people actually watch (meaning it may have happened in a Sub Belt game or something, I just wouldn't know about it). That's not "most coaches," which is what I was trying to say is not true.

Put it this way: I can name WAY WAY more coaches who I'm pretty sure have never done this than I can coaches who have, despite the fact that most coaches have opportunities to do it during their careers.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

Just think that time outs should be called on the field.  Icing the kicker is a tradition, no real issue there, but the split second stops because the coach is calling it sucks.  One they can watch the clock and the snap.  Two, the call it to a sideline official so the play does not get stopped in time to stop the kicker.

If the captain on the field had to call it, they would either be out of the play, or not able to watch the clock and be prepared in case the time out is not called by the official.

Archived