• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Starting lineup and style of play

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

was announced by Stan Heath at his presser.

PG Crater

SG Noriega

SF Robertson

PF Gilchrist

C Famous

Stan Heath also said that he has put the yellow light up on his guards to slow it down. He wants his team to play half-court and our identity to be a team that pounds the ball inside much like a FB team that plays conservative and runs the ball on the first few play of the game.

Needless to say I am against this style because I don't think we can play that way against the BE teams and win as it has been proven in the past. Also it doesn't say a lot about Haynes and Dority if neither did enough in practice to beat out Crater who is helpless on offense and leaves us playing 4 on 5.

First game of the season is against So Miss Friday at the Sun Dome. Can't wait to see how this team does. My expectations for the season have definitely come down some since that first exhibition game.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

He may say that is what he wants to play... now.. haha. And Skip wanted a pocket passing game.  When it comes to crunch time I am sure Heath will find what works. 

• Content Count:  1,079

This would be my starting lineup:

PG:  Crater

SG:  Noriega/Burwell

SF:  Gus

PF:  Fitz

C:  Famous

Crater is by default, but I would love for someone else to take this spot ASAP...I cant stand his game or his attitude.

Burwell and Noriega look pretty interchangable to me...I thought Burwell was better in the game against Eckerd

Gus is not a PF and we shouldnt label him as one...he needs to work on his handle if he is gonna have such a soft game.

I like Fitz's rebounding and he has a nice game around the basket and will make a jumper from time to time.

Famous is the center...no real doubts with him.

Also, I cant see Robertson being better than Poland...Im quite surprised that Robertson is starting.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

In years past he would say he wants us to come out running only to play half court. Maybe this year he comes out and says he wants us to play half court only to come out running. lol

My expectations have lowered, but who knows, maybe the team will surprise.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

ugh.  Hope everyone enjoyed our "success" last season, cuz it's not going to be anywhere near that this year. 

• Content Count:  5,982

This would be my starting lineup:

PG:  Crater

SG:  Noriega/Burwell

SF:  Gus

PF:  Fitz

C:   Famous

Crater is by default, but I would love for someone else to take this spot ASAP...I cant stand his game or his attitude.

Burwell and Noriega look pretty interchangable to me...I thought Burwell was better in the game against Eckerd

Gus is not a PF and we shouldnt label him as one...he needs to work on his handle if he is gonna have such a soft game.

I like Fitz's rebounding and he has a nice game around the basket and will make a jumper from time to time.

Famous is the center...no real doubts with him.

Also, I cant see Robertson being better than Poland...Im quite surprised that Robertson is starting.

Heath said that Poland was the best player on the floor in the 2 scrimmages and he was pretty good in that exhibition game too. Heath said because he started later then the other guys he is going to go with Robertson as the starter. I think Heath likes Robertson leadership potential and wants him in the starting lineup.

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

I knew you would not like those comments Vega, but what did you expect?  The strength of the team is clearly in the paint.  I don't really want Crater or any of our PGs do take off helter skelter down the court and turn it over before Gus or Jarrid cross half court.  Heath said that pressure was bothering the PGs so using the big men to set screens and serve as outlet pass receptors can help relieve full court pressure.  I am not too worried about style of play at this point.

I also like the idea of Poland in the 6th man role.  You put in a 6th man to change the tempo and get some points.  Sounds like Poland would be ideal for that.  It will certainly be an interesting season.

Normal

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I knew you would not like those comments Vega, but what did you expect?  The strength of the team is clearly in the paint.  I don't really want Crater or any of our PGs do take off helter skelter down the court and turn it over before Gus or Jarrid cross half court.  Heath said that pressure was bothering the PGs so using the big men to set screens and serve as outlet pass receptors can help relieve full court pressure.  I am not too worried about style of play at this point.

I also like the idea of Poland in the 6th man role.  You put in a 6th man to change the tempo and get some points.  Sounds like Poland would be ideal for that.  It will certainly be an interesting season.

Normal

Agree with Normal... I don't see the style of play as being a problem.  Not having a good PG (like Chris Howard) is certainly a problem, but the style of play needs to take advantage of strengths... and that is our front line.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Why would you play Gus at the 3. He is NOT quick enough to guard opposing SF. I like a rotation of Poland, Noriega, and Robertson. PF and C rotation is solid. I don't like our PG situation, but there is nothing we can do :(  Let's see how the season plays out.

• Content Count:  1,079

Why would you play Gus at the 3. He is NOT quick enough to guard opposing SF. I like a rotation of Poland, Noriega, and Robertson. PF and C rotation is solid. I don't like our PG situation, but there is nothing we can do :(  Let's see how the season plays out.

Gus doesnt play a PF's game, he plays like a SF.  He would rather shoot 3's and run in transition than rebound and play in the paint.  I just dont think we can be that sucessful with Gus having to be one of our primary rebounders.  I would let Famous and Fitz handle down low and have Gus play to his strengths.

Archived