• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East standings after todays games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

Pittsburgh 3-0 5-3

Syracuse 3-1 6-2

Rutgers 1-1 4-3

WVU 1-2 5-3

USF  1-2 4-3

UConn 1-2 4-4

Louisville 1-2 4-4

Cincinnati 1-2 3-5

ApocalypseRadio_-_30330ludd_w.jpg

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I think the Big East apocalypse (and perhaps the football apocalypse) is upon us

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I think you could actually spin this the other way which doesn't put the Big East in such a bad light.

Sure we don't have a top 25 team.....BUT it is possible ALL eight teams could become Bowl Eligible and make it to a Bowl.

I mean sure Cincy would have to win 3 out of 4....but they are not a horrible team.

For the last few years the Big East always had bottom dwellers.....Cuse or Louisville....or Rutgers back in the day. Now we really don't have one bad awful team....every game can be competitive. Can the MWC say that? Sure they have 2 top teams and then what? Our league is neither top heavy or bottom heavy....anyone can truly beat anyone else. I don't think you can say that about any other conference.

The BCS AQ is also based on how ALL of your teams do.

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

So let me get this right...USF wins out in BE play they will be BE champs IF WVU loses one more game...Cuse loses 2 more games, and Pitt loses one more game + the USF game?

Guest nybullsfan

I think you could actually spin this the other way which doesn't put the Big East in such a bad light.

Sure we don't have a top 25 team.....BUT it is possible ALL eight teams could become Bowl Eligible and make it to a Bowl.

I mean sure Cincy would have to win 3 out of 4....but they are not a horrible team.

For the last few years the Big East always had bottom dwellers.....Cuse or Louisville....or Rutgers back in the day. Now we really don't have one bad awful team....every game can be competitive. Can the MWC say that? Sure they have 2 top teams and then what? Our league is neither top heavy or bottom heavy....anyone can truly beat anyone else. I don't think you can say that about any other conference.

OK, I rise to challenges like this, LOL

Yes, it IS technically possible for all 8 teams to be bowl eligible, here is one scenario, haha

UC Wins: @WVU,RU,@CONN, Losses:Pitt, Finishes: 6-6

CONN Wins: Pitt,@Cuse, Losses: UC,@USF,  Finishes: 6-6

UL Wins: @Cuse, USF, Losses: WVU,@RU, Finishes: 6-6

Pitt Wins: WVU,@UC, Losses: @Conn,@USF, Finishes: 7-5

RU Wins: UL,@WVU, Losses: @USF,Cuse,@UC, Finishes: 6-6

USF Wins: RU,Pitt,CONN, Losses: @UL,@Miami, Finishes: 7-5

Cuse Wins: @RU,BC, Losses: @UC,UL,CONN, Finishes: 7-5

WVU Wins: @UL, Losses: UC,@Pitt,RU, Finishes: 6-6

Not very likely, but possible.

Everyone getting to a bowl? Impossible, with the best possible conference result being three 7-5 teams and five 6-6 teams.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Yes, it IS technically possible for all 8 teams to be bowl eligible, here is one scenario, haha

Everyone getting to a bowl? Impossible, with the best possible conference result being three 7-5 teams and five 6-6 teams.

Agreed, my assumption was that 2 of the 6-6 teams would get at large bids. There was only one bowl eligible team left out last season and they were a non-BCS school. I figured 2 BE schools would get at large invites over other 6-6 non BCS teams. Having all 8 eligible is unlikely but 7 is very possible.

Guest nybullsfan

So let me get this right...USF wins out in BE play they will be BE champs IF WVU loses one more game...Cuse loses 2 more games, and Pitt loses one more game + the USF game?

Depends whether OOC games count or not. There are only 2 left. In your scenario, PLUS we beat Miami, AND Cuse beats BC, the best each team could end up would be as follows (but not all of these can happen together, of course);

School, Conf record, OOC, Total

UC: 5-2, 2-3, 7-5

CONN: 4-3, 3-2, 7-5

UL: 4-3, 3-2, 7-5

Pitt: 4-3, 2-3, 6-6

RU: 5-2, 3-2, 8-4

USF: 5-2, 3-2, 8-4

Cuse: 4-3, 3-1, 7-4 (only 1 FCS game counts)

WVU: 4-3, 4-1, 8-4

That could potentially leave USF tied with UC, RU (or both), and at 5-2, and we'd hold head-to-head tie-breakers against each.

However, if we lost to Miami, the best we could finish is 5-2, 2-3, 7-5, while RU could potentially hit 5-2, 3-2, 8-4, with a better overall record.

Not sure what would happen in this situation, even though we beat RU, they could potentially bump us out if OOC games count.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,645
  • Days Won:  6

Wow - so the BE could actually send the first unranked team to a BCS bowl.

(and don't look now, but could UCF could be the only ranked team in Florida come tomorrow? - nah UF will get back in)

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Actually, it could be five 6-6 teams, two 7-5 teams and an 8-4 team if you assume a USF win over Miami. :)

Archived