• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is a bad system

Guest nybullsfan

Excuse the typos I'm typing from my phone

Don't worry about it. Greg's the only one around here who cares and he doesn't correct us much anymore either.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

I don't get how some of you are saying Holtz needs to get his players as if there's nothing here for him to work with?  Our recruiting has improved year after year.  By definition, that implies the roster this year is better than any year prior.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  225

I don't get how some of you are saying Holtz needs to get his players as if there's nothing here for him to work with?  Our recruiting has improved year after year.  By definition, that implies the roster this year is better than any year prior.

Better?    The last time we had a good recruiting class was 2009.  (25th by scout)  The last 2 years ...its been terrible...like our class was ranked over 50th.  UCF has had higher ranked class than us the last 2 years

• Content Count:  225

Well in 2010.ucf.and they currently do now...Hopefully Holtz is a strong finisher...because right now UCF has a higher ranked class..I just hope we can get within the top 35

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Someone please explain why we should have had a great recruiting class in the middle of a very public scandal and sudden change during the home stretch of recruiting? 

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

2010 class was hurt by the chaos going on.  This current class is on Holtz.  Hopefully he is as good a salesman as he was during the offseaSON.  He came into a rough situation and did a good job calming the situation.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

So you think you are going somewhere next year with a freshman QB, a bunch of freshman lineman and freshman and unproven freshman and sophomore RBs?   

I hope they have their eyes on a Juco QB that can come in right away and execute his system.

No.  But that's why it's called a "system."  Because it takes time.  I think real fans are being realistic and patient.  We can't expect Holtz to turn things around in half of one season!  

Things didn't need to be turned around. Things needed to be improved upon yes, but its not like Coach Holtz came in and took over a team that had losing seasons. We have had a good team except one year for the last decade. We have gone to 5 straight bowl games and have had a lot success, granted no BE championships. We have been ranked for the last three years. We have had at least beaten a ranked team every year for like 5 years straight,..... We are taking 3 steps back in order to take 4 steps forward. I was expecting us to be 6-6 . No way did I see us losing to Syracuse and score 9 offensive points in first 2 BE games.

We can't afford moving backwards, having losing seasons, and averaging less then 30,000 people a game at a time of possible conference realignment. We are not Michigan knowing that recruits and people will show up regardless and that a major conference will be there no matter what. A loss of momentum at this point could be dangerous for the program. So I expect Holtz to figure this coaching thing out asap, and make adjustments to make this season atleast respectable.

These are all fair points.  But let's be honest here, if Leavitt were our coach the only difference we could have conceivably anticipated was a win versus Syracuse.  I doubt a Leavitt-coached team would have beaten Florida anyway, and we likely would have lost on Thursday night to WVU (we always do, right?).

I'm not so sure we are moving backwards, so much as there seems to be a little inertia to some change.  If our coaching staff can settle BJ down or make a positive switch at QB, we could definitely right this ship before the end of the season and finish respectably. 

You might be right, if Leavitt was here, we would likely be 4-2 instead of 3-3. Leavitt had a knack for winning those UF type games though, and we were in it. All games we have played were winnable. I think what's not fair about your statement though... do you think a Jim Leavitt coached team would be held without an offensive TD against Syracuse and WVU?

Other than the Cuse loss, I don't think people are panicking over the losses, it's more about how ugly it has been, even in some of the wins.

My guess is, if Leavitt was here, Carnes would be getting his fair share of snaps if BJ wasn't getting it done. Skip is in a tough spot though. USF loved BJ before we cared about Skip. When he benches him, there's going to be some backlash. He has to be 100% sure that he can't make at least an average QB.

Right now, I maintain, BJ Daniels is the only one pissing in USF's cheerios this season.

Final point, everyone who wants to burn Skip at the stake, you have got to give him and his staff a TON of props on how good the defense is after losing 5 guys that are now playing in the NFL. If the offense were even close to living up to expectations, this would be a very solid team.

• Content Count:  521

You might be right, if Leavitt was here, we would likely be 4-2 instead of 3-3. Leavitt had a knack for winning those UF type games though, and we were in it. All games we have played were winnable.

you must have missed us getting destroyed by Pitt, Rutgers, and Cincy as of late... not to mention getting handled by UMiami at home.

i think people's frustrations with the new season have made the Jim Leavitt coaching regime seem like John Wooden's of basketball.

C'mon people, this was a broken program before Holtz got here, and the people that are criticizing the new regime are also the ones making excuses for why the old coaching staff was leading us to St. Pete Bowls, Papajohns bowls, Car Care bowls, International Bowls, etc.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

You might be right, if Leavitt was here, we would likely be 4-2 instead of 3-3. Leavitt had a knack for winning those UF type games though, and we were in it. All games we have played were winnable.

you must have missed us getting destroyed by Pitt, Rutgers, and Cincy as of late... not to mention getting handled by UMiami at home.

i think people's frustrations with the new season have made the Jim Leavitt coaching regime seem like John Wooden's of basketball.

C'mon people, this was a broken program before Holtz got here, and the people that are criticizing the new regime are also the ones making excuses for why the old coaching staff was leading us to St. Pete Bowls, Papajohns bowls, Car Care bowls, International Bowls, etc.

Totally disagree, there are quite a few people that were calling for CJL's head before the scandal that are going ******* crazy right now.

• Content Count:  521

Totally disagree, there are quite a few people that were calling for CJL's head before the scandal that are going ******* crazy right now.

Well, I don't know what to say to those people other than be patient, things are in the works.

All i gotta say is this (and this goes back to the OP), in college football ESPECIALLY, talent doesn't walk onto your campus straight outta high school and straight outta the prom and win heisman trophys.. want proof?  go onto rivals or scout, look at the top 100 or so recruits from 2006, 2007, 2008-- you'll recognize SOME kids on there that are now in the NFL, a good majority of them were just serviceable role players throughout college.  I do that sometimes just out of curiosity to see how highly touted they were coming out of high school.

Talent is DEVELOPED by coaching staffs.  and it takes a good year or so to do it.  If we all remember, Leavitt was fired around January and Holtz took over a month after that (or so).  so, for the most part, the "Talent" on this squad was developed by Leavitt's staff.  It's the same talent that took us to the Int'l bowl and has been tanking in the Big East for the past 3 or 4 years or so.  Luckily, Leavitt was good at recruiting athletes, but history has proven that he hasn't been able to develop them to conference champions.

Archived