• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This is a bad system

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

So you think you are going somewhere next year with a freshman QB, a bunch of freshman lineman and freshman and unproven freshman and sophomore RBs?   

I hope they have their eyes on a Juco QB that can come in right away and execute his system.

No.  But that's why it's called a "system."  Because it takes time.  I think real fans are being realistic and patient.  We can't expect Holtz to turn things around in half of one season!  

Things didn't need to be turned around. Things needed to be improved upon yes, but its not like Coach Holtz came in and took over a team that had losing seasons. We have had a good team except one year for the last decade. We have gone to 5 straight bowl games and have had a lot success, granted no BE championships. We have been ranked for the last three years. We have had at least beaten a ranked team every year for like 5 years straight,..... We are taking 3 steps back in order to take 4 steps forward. I was expecting us to be 6-6 . No way did I see us losing to Syracuse and score 9 offensive points in first 2 BE games.

We can't afford moving backwards, having losing seasons, and averaging less then 30,000 people a game at a time of possible conference realignment. We are not Michigan knowing that recruits and people will show up regardless and that a major conference will be there no matter what. A loss of momentum at this point could be dangerous for the program. So I expect Holtz to figure this coaching thing out asap, and make adjustments to make this season atleast respectable.

As much as I agree with you.. I do expect this not to be a great season.  Most first year coaches do terrible despite how good they are.  Look at Nick Saban, his first year at Alabama they lost to Lousiana LaFayette.  Meyer's first year at Florida in 05 was the last time he lost 2 games in a row.  Rich Rodrigueze at Michigan, same deal..  Can anyone on this forum name the last time a first year coach actually did really good?..  The thing with Florida in Meyer's first year.. the reason he did decent was because he had all of Ron Zook's recruits (Percy Harvin, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Aaron Hernandez..etc).. so it was ALOT easier to have a mediocre season versus a bad season.    We have back up QBs playing receivers and a guy who was a running back converted Wide Receiver..  We have to be patient and just go through some growing pains this year.  Trust me.. I'm as impatient as you but at the same time.. every  college football pre-view you read before the season felt we would take a step back before we would take on forward

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

So you think you are going somewhere next year with a freshman QB, a bunch of freshman lineman and freshman and unproven freshman and sophomore RBs?   

I hope they have their eyes on a Juco QB that can come in right away and execute his system.

No.  But that's why it's called a "system."  Because it takes time.  I think real fans are being realistic and patient.  We can't expect Holtz to turn things around in half of one season!  

Things didn't need to be turned around. Things needed to be improved upon yes, but its not like Coach Holtz came in and took over a team that had losing seasons. We have had a good team except one year for the last decade. We have gone to 5 straight bowl games and have had a lot success, granted no BE championships. We have been ranked for the last three years. We have had at least beaten a ranked team every year for like 5 years straight,..... We are taking 3 steps back in order to take 4 steps forward. I was expecting us to be 6-6 . No way did I see us losing to Syracuse and score 9 offensive points in first 2 BE games.

We can't afford moving backwards, having losing seasons, and averaging less then 30,000 people a game at a time of possible conference realignment. We are not Michigan knowing that recruits and people will show up regardless and that a major conference will be there no matter what. A loss of momentum at this point could be dangerous for the program. So I expect Holtz to figure this coaching thing out asap, and make adjustments to make this season atleast respectable.

These are all fair points.  But let's be honest here, if Leavitt were our coach the only difference we could have conceivably anticipated was a win versus Syracuse.  I doubt a Leavitt-coached team would have beaten Florida anyway, and we likely would have lost on Thursday night to WVU (we always do, right?).

I'm not so sure we are moving backwards, so much as there seems to be a little inertia to some change.  If our coaching staff can settle BJ down or make a positive switch at QB, we could definitely right this ship before the end of the season and finish respectably. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,631
  • Days Won:  424

Can anyone on this forum name the last time a first year coach actually did really good?.. 

As a USF fan, you should know this ... 2007 .... Brian Kelly ... If you consider 10-3 as really good.

• Content Count:  1,478

Nick saban and meyer had great recruiting classes for themselves their first off season. Holtz isn't

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Nick saban and meyer had great recruiting classes for themselves their first off season. Holtz isn't

How can you assess a class that hasn't even hit the field yet? 

• Content Count:  1,027

Pulling five star athletes to Alabama and Florida is considerably easier the pulling 5 stars to USF, not even worth comparing.  However, if Holtz can pull the RIGHT athletes to make his scheme click then we're in business.  We all just have to be, and I know this is difficult, patient.  Maybe USF can do a Ritalin Night for the Rutgers game.

Can anyone on this forum name the last time a first year coach actually did really good?.. 

As a USF fan, you should know this ... 2007 .... Brian Kelly ... If you consider 10-3 as really good.

Well I said that is more of an exception than rule.   I'm sure Brian Kelly had more to work with on offense than we do.  Plus like I said...its more common for first year good coaches to do g bad their first year...It takes the perfect storm for them to do good their first year (talent + experience + good coaching staff..aka Florida State Jumbo Fisher.)

We lost a lot of talent and experience ....so this is expected the first year with a new coaching fstaf

well to add on.. Jimbo had the advantage of coaching the offense the last few season before taking over... So pretty much the most recent example is Brian Kelly. 

Urban Meyer's first year: ok

Saban at Bama first year: bad

Randy Shannon first year: bad

Any coach who went to Notre Dame after Lou Holtz - pretty much bad..

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Holtz wasn't brought here to turn anything around. He was brought here to build upon the foundation that was laid.

I didn't expect better than. 5-7 year this year.that was pretty much based on losing so much on defense. I didn't expect us to not be able convert less than 30% of 3rd downs let alone score.

When I say its a bad system its bad because the players aren't here capable of executing whatever the coaches are doing.

In 2005 we had a worse situation coming into the season and the coaching staff found a system that put the players they had in a situation to win enough to go to their first bowl game. In 2006 you had similar personnel problems to what you have right now  probably more difficult actually. A freshman QB, we started that year with our running backs with a grand total of zero carries. We had several freshman receivers, a juco transfer, and Amp Hill as our receivers and the coaching staff found a way to do enough to win. And since that was our second year in BE, we were still playing with guys that were recruited when we were 1AA. The coaching staff found a way to be productive enough to get to a bowl game and win a bowl game. Sorry, there is no reason for this offense to fall backward to this extent. This coaching staff is supposed to be smart enough to work with the personnel they have. Time for them to find the way to do it.

Archived