• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How can USF get rid of their "commuter" image?

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

UCF is more. "suburban".  It's not in the city limits and things are just recently being built up around it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

I agree it is more suburban but you can still take the same blue print.  It wasn't like they created a strip.  They just used shopping plazas to create their nightlife

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

There is a nice parcel of land right off 50th Street where the Catholic Center is that would be perfect for a college retail entertainment complex.  If USF and the city of Tampa along a major developer would ever get together we might have something.  With this being located close to the dorms and the new athletic facilities I have no doubt that this would be successful.  I have no idea regarding he availability of of the land but looking at a Google map this is the one location that looks the best.  Package in all the typical traditional college retail outlets along with a handful of bars / restaurants this could help USF shake its "commuter" image.

• Content Count:  521

I think the problem is out of our hands.  There is no "University Village" type area within walking distance, which makes it commuter feeling.

It doesn't matter how many dorms we build on campus, you still have to get in your car in order to go get a smoothie or batteries.

Maybe if our buildings were closer to the main streets (fletcher, fowler, bruce b downs, 50th street), then stores/bars/restaurants can be built along one of these streets, but our buildings are not-- they are in the center of campus, so even if these places were built on one of the 4 major bordering streets, it would be too far to walk to anyways.

I think the problem is out of our hands.  There is no "University Village" type area within walking distance, which makes it commuter feeling.

It doesn't matter how many dorms we build on campus, you still have to get in your car in order to go get a smoothie or batteries.

Maybe if our buildings were closer to the main streets (fletcher, fowler, bruce b downs, 50th street), then stores/bars/restaurants can be built along one of these streets, but our buildings are not-- they are in the center of campus, so even if these places were built on one of the 4 major bordering streets, it would be too far to walk to anyways.

I still think it would add value to the area around campus.  UCF pretty much has the same issue...they  are major roads on the perimeter of the campus.  They have a ton of bars by campus ..and it just feels more like a college town.    Only UF's strip is right next to campus.  FSU's strip still requires a short drive (like 2 minutes).  The important thing is you have something close enough to campus that gives reason for students to live close to campus.  ..I think you really have to go over there to really see how much of a difference it makes.  With the nightlife right next to campus..and the on campus stadium ..There is ALOT more going on and school spirit.  ..I think it would just add a lot of value to campus.  I think it really hit me when I went their with a friend for a concert (DJ Tiesto) the night before the Miami vs UCF game.  The tailgating on campus was insane the next day.. I think it just feels good to be able to tailgate on campus where you got your degree from.  It gives you a sense of "coming home".. ..

And then going out to the bars by their campus..  It was just cool seeing alumni with students having a good time during Gameday Weekend.    Like I think it just adds to the school spirit when you can party in the area where your campus is...instead of driving across town.  Pretty much everyone that goes to UCF goes to bars/clubs by the campus.  The really don't start heading downtown till they are a junior or senior.    I just hope the community around USF starts to get to hint.  You're probably right.. it's out of our hands .. but I just hope USF would start to be open to ideas like this. 

• Content Count:  521

I still think it would add value to the area around campus.  UCF pretty much has the same issue...they  are major roads on the perimeter of the campus.   They have a ton of bars by campus ..and it just feels more like a college town.    Only UF's strip is right next to campus.  FSU's strip still requires a short drive (like 2 minutes).  The important thing is you have something close enough to campus that gives reason for students to live close to campus.  ..I think you really have to go over there to really see how much of a difference it makes.  With the nightlife right next to campus..and the on campus stadium ..There is ALOT more going on and school spirit.  ..I think it would just add a lot of value to campus.  I think it really hit me when I went their with a friend for a concert (DJ Tiesto) the night before the Miami vs UCF game.  The tailgating on campus was insane the next day.. I think it just feels good to be able to tailgate on campus where you got your degree from.  It gives you a sense of "coming home".. ..

And then going out to the bars by their campus..  It was just cool seeing alumni with students having a good time during Gameday Weekend.     Like I think it just adds to the school spirit when you can party in the area where your campus is...instead of driving across town.   Pretty much everyone that goes to UCF goes to bars/clubs by the campus.  The really don't start heading downtown till they are a junior or senior.    I just hope the community around USF starts to get to hint.  You're probably right.. it's out of our hands .. but I just hope USF would start to be open to ideas like this. 

I went to UCF for some work last month and checked out their campus.  I saw the new stadium, the arena, and the restaurants/stores/bars.  Although it feels "more" like a college town than USF, it still really isn't.  It just means that their campus life is better, but it still isn't really a college town.  The only campus in the state that has a true college town feel is UF.  FSU, tennessee street, the bars and stuff are a good driving distance.

I define true college town-ness as integration with college campus and the local town.  I don't think USF or UCF have either, really.  check out UGA, UNC-Chapel Hill, Auburn, VaTech (blacksburg, va) -- all towns i've been to.. now THOSE are college towns.

I think our only shot is to be like Uni. of Maryland.. it has a nice little strip of stores/bars/restaurants right across from the main entrance.. big public university, in the vicinity of a metro area (DC area) with a mini-college town area of College Park.

Well I completely agree.  I'm not saying UCF is University of Georgia by any means.  I heard that is one of the best college towns period. .. The point I was trying to make is I know USF could create a better campus life..in turn.. .. and that could help get rid of their communter image (maybe not completely..but it would help)  I do like the colleges you pointed out.  .. Thanks for the good feedback. 

• Content Count:  971

Mentioning "USF" and "commuter" in the same sentence is one way to keep the image going.  Being in an urban setting, the whole city is your playground.  In that respect, nothing has changed in the last half century.  Only the names of businesses as they come and go.  Give the UCF area another 20 years and it will resemble USF.  No urban university will ever be like Athens, Oxford, or Auburn.  Enjoy the almost endless choices you have in Tampa!  Welcome to the Board.  GB!

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think replacing the Catholic Student Center or the other churches on 50th or Sycamore with nightclubs would fly with USF administrators.    >:D

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,747
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think replacing the Catholic Student Center or the other churches on 50th or Sycamore with nightclubs would fly with USF administrators.    >:D

Yeah, touting the merits of a Caligula-esqe party-till-you-puke, is-that-the-cops sort of environ at the expense of the facilities on Sycamore would be a very difficult sell. And lets just be honest...the surrounding neighborhood, for good reason, shys away from more bars. Remember, any new bar/club would necessarily have to be open to the local folk...and I think the 'suitacase city' reputation would trump the 'communter school' reputation first and foremost.

Archived