• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How can USF get rid of their "commuter" image?

UsfGoose

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

The answer to getting rid of USF's "commuter" is to build a USF Village similar to what UCF put together a couple of years ago.  USF could develop the North East corner of the campus and transform it with new dorms, retail space and a football stadium.  If UCF can make it work why can't USF???

Here is an old article describing the initiative:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/14/news_pf/State/UCF_finds_its_ameniti.shtml

UCF finds its amenities are academic

The Orlando college is setting the standard for state schools with its attention to student life.

By SHANNON COLAVECCHIO-VAN SICKLER, Times Staff Writer

Published October 14, 2007

ORLANDO -- Ashley Winholtz, 18, rarely strays more than a short walk from the fifth-floor apartment she shares with three other college students.

"Everything is right here," said Winholtz, a Tampa native. "It's like a town in itself."

There's a new Starbucks and Barnes & Noble bookstore next door to their just-built apartment tower. A sleek basketball arena and concert hall sits across the street. Winholtz and her roommates attend football games at the 45,000-seat stadium a short walk away, and when they get a craving for pizza or ice cream, restaurants are less than a block beyond their front lobby.

Soon, a post office, a pharmacy and a convenience store will open down the street- near the hair salon and the English pub.

Yes, you read correctly: the English pub.

Here on the north end of the University of Central Florida's suburban campus, on a vast swath that was mostly grass and asphalt three years ago, administrators of the state's second-largest public institution are trying to shed their "commuter school" label by building a community from scratch.

"With our student body, we want to have a lot of things for them to do on campus," said Bill Merck, vice president for administration and finance. "We want living here to be a good experience."

To that end, UCF is using more than $300-million in bonds to create a town center where students can live, eat, study and revel in college traditions like football. The last of four dorms opened last month, housing a total of 2,000 students. The stadium hosted UCF's first-ever home game on campus last month, after playing for years in downtown Orlando's Citrus Bowl. Students already have a nickname for this new part of campus: the Towers, a nod to thefour seven-story, apartment-style residence halls that anchor the area.

No other state university in Florida is building these kinds of amenities on such an aggressive scale, and the move carries a double-pronged advantage for UCF. It entices more students to live on campus, creating a more traditional college environment. And it gives UCF a distinctive edge over universities like Florida International, the University of South Florida -- even the University of Florida.

Concert arenas, restaurants and swanky new dorms don't have anything to do with an institution's academic caliber, but the fact is, they matter to today's graduating high school seniors. When students tour a campus, they're as curious about the gym as they are the academic programs. Most would rather live in a new dorm than an old one, and the more restaurants and social venues, the better.

College administrators know this is what students want. Just look around the state.

USF is using a $54-million bond to overhaul its 47-year-old student union. When it's finished next year, the new 250,000-square-foot Marshall Center will feature a food court, a 100-station computer lab, a TV lounge, retail space, and a sports grill.

President Judy Genshaft promises, "It is going to knock your socks off."

Earlier this month, Florida Atlantic University trustees approved a financing plan for a 30,000-seat football stadium project called "Innovation Village," which will include on-campus housing and retail space.

But UCF is out front in the amenities race, say some students who toured Florida's public universities.

"My top two choices were USF and UCF, but I chose UCF for the campus appeal," said Sabrina Rivera, 18, an economics major from California. "It just feels more alive here."

Even a flagship university like UF, with its ivy-covered buildings and more than 150 years of history, doesn't appeal to some students as much as the smells-like-fresh-paint perks at UCF.

Winholtz considered UF but decided she preferred "all the new stuff" at UCF.

"At UF," she said, wrinkling her nose, "everything is so old."

I almost agree with you.  I think instead of building a pre-package entertainment district on campus (like UCF Plaza or a Channelside), have something more authentic.  Tell the few USF bar owners (Legends Sports Bar, UA Hangout, Bulls Club, and Peabody - all of these are on Fowler, Fletcher, and Bruce Bee Downs), they should move their location to the Northeast part of campus.  Plus add two late night food places like a pizza place and jimmy johns in that same location.  USF should do something with their own flavor attached to it and not something that isn't too much pre-package like a Channelside. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already posted the following on a similiar thread but I think this relates to this thread as well.. here is my post

Hey Jim,

I was talking to a UCF alumn and it looks like they are doing exactly what I recommended in my last post.  Well almost.  They are going to take an existing shopping plaza (corner of Alafaya and University Ave).  This is where majority of UCF's nightlife is at (Deco, Knight Library - I heard there is like 5 bars in this one strip mall) and build a dorm on top of it.  I admit that is pretty cool.  The article states, they want the existing business  to stay there and create room for business to move in. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2009/09/14/story3.html

They also plan to build the first LEED certified housing complex.  They plan to build a bridge that will go over Alafya directly to campus.  I really hope USF thrives to create something similar to this (creating dense entertainment (bars, stores, restaraunts) and more pedestrian friendly campus area. 

http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/first-green-complex-at-ucf-1.2035678

I really hope USF tries to do something similiar to this but with their own flavor.  I wonder what big city universities have done to meet this same challege?  Has anyone been to Rutgers or Pittsburg?  How is the atmosphere there?

• Content Count:  14

I too think we need our own plaza-type area of campus. I recently went to UCF's campus and was amazed. They have, in their plaza, all the shops and restaurants one would need right there. Maybe our new MSC can offer more of these venues? But UCF's new plaz does help them a lot. If I were choosing a college, I would give UCF points on the venue because everything was fresh, new, alive, inviting and attractive.

They don't have renderings of the place but I imagine it would like similar to what is around Channelside.  There are a lot of condos where the bottom floor is just empty retail space.  I'm sure it won't be that huge but would probably be more on a smaller scale similar to what is right next to Channelside (the one condo that is attached to the Club Aja)

• Content Count:  1,757

Nothing better than watching Goose have a conversation about UCF with himself.

Redfisher78.. typical you....if any idea originates from UCF ..you are going to bash it.  FAU is doing similiar things. 

I'm going repost something that RickUsf posted and that is all I need to say

"Funny how people are quick to trash ideas simply because ucf has done it or will do it.

Im all for ANY type of development that will enhance the campus life.  Its been the #1 thing that our admin has been trying to address for the past 20 years or so"

• Content Count:  201

They are apparently tearing down the old, crappy apartments behind the Bull Market and placing another 'college style' apartment like Monticello and Campus Lodge in its place. Thats 4 of these apartment complexes within walking distance of each other. Someone needs to reopen the Greenery and maybe turn that empty lot on the corner of 46th street into a college type place

• Content Count:  21,292
  • Days Won:  10

What is their to eat on campus, walking distance?  They need to encourage more development of bars and food establishments within walking distance.  Think about it, kids want to party and you have to make sure they can do it without driving.

What is their to eat on campus, walking distance?   They need to encourage more development of bars and food establishments within walking distance.   Think about it, kids want to party and you have to make sure they can do it without driving.

I agree.  That is what I said in my opening post.  Building dense entertainment (bars and food establishments) creates a since of community where it's easier to mingle with your neighbors and fellow students.  The thought is if you create that type of atmosphere, it will attract more students to USF. 

That is why Hyde Park is such a popular area in Tampa.  I hear downtown St Pete is starting to create some dense nightlife with food establishments.  Downtown Tampa is starting to also have a late night dining scene close to the historic Tampa Theater.  Development like this will be good for USF and Tampa. 

Archived