• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gators vow to work hard, improve before facing South Florida

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,468
  • Days Won:  13

Gators vow to work hard, improve before facing South Florida

Florida center Mike Pouncey was at a loss for words to explain the Gators' offensive meltdown on Saturday against Miami (Ohio), but Pouncey was certain of one thing: the Gators need lots of work to get ready for South Florida this week.

Florida amassed just 25 total offensive yards in three quarters, and by the time the clock ran out the Gators had eight fumbles - including four botched snaps by Pouncey. With South Florida on the horizon, Pouncey and other players vowed to dedicate themselves to a serious week of practice to correct the myriad of problems that existed on Saturday.

"As players you never really think about stuff like that (multiple mistakes),'' Pouncey said. "Now that you look back on it, there's so much stuff we could have did better in practice. I'm glad it happened in this kind of game, a game we could have just gone out there and won. If we do it (this) week we won't win the game.''

Florida quarterback John Brantley's much-anticipated debut wasn't what he had hoped for, but Brantley refused to classify the Gators' performance as an embarassment.

"I know the potential of our offense,'' Brantley said. "I'm not embarrassed at all. It's just one of those days I guess you could say. We're going to work on it this coming week and be ready for USF."

Florida S Ahmad Black said first-game jitters may have played a part in Florida's troubles, but insisted it won't carry over into this week.

"I don’t want to say he was a little bit nervous, but it was first game jitters,'' Black said referring to Brantley. "He’ll be good. We’re going to go hard in practice this week.  Everybody is going to practice hard, and he’ll be better (this) week.''

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gators/content/gators-vow-work-hard-improve-facing-south-florida

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

twas my concern, wish they would have railed on Ohio

• Content Count:  158
  • Days Won:  1

I fear all that has happened is that Ohio awoke a sleeping giant.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

They basically had to an entire new offense. That team relied on Tebow so much that they really didn't run a "offense" for the last 3 years. If we have had the same problems Saturday, there are many here that would be saying that we'll never get the offense, or we will lose 9 games.....But since it's uf, a sleeping giant was awaken. Let me tell you something, UM didn't wake up a sleeping giant, the giant was wide awake, but not used to it's new arms and legs (offense). Maybe urban was telling the truth when he stated that they had a long way to go, prior to the UM game. Maybe they'll work out all of the problems, maybe they won't. Time will tell.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't know why everyone is scared of the "giant". This isn't David vs Goliath here. Florida is not what they were. They are good, don't get me wrong, but they are no where near the 4th best team in the nation. Brantley is average at best, I predict that if we go in there and beat them this week, he may not be their starter for long. He doesn't fit Meyer's offense.

My quick observations....

RB - Demps is ridiculously fast. We have to plug up all the holes because if he gets into the secondary, he's gone. That said, he is not that strong. I don't think I saw him break any tackles on Saturday, so, the holes don't have to be completely plugged, we just have to try and get our arms around him, he looked like he would go down pretty easily. Their other RBs are stronger, but not as fast, their offense is based on speed, so we should be able to run with them if we stay disciplined on the mis-direction stuff.

WR - They look to have one very solid WR, I don't know if our DBs are up to the challenge, but hopefully they can man-up for this one.

QB - This was a bit of a shock to me, I had heard that Brantley was better than Tebow, and would be a great passer. He is accurate, and seemed to make some good reads, but, his arm is pretty weak, and he has a huge wind up. I think if we play some sort of zone with the safeties, they will have a chance to jump some routes. Not to mention that as long as it takes Brantley to release, the DL should be able to get their hands up and bat some balls (I think Miami had 1 or 2). Hopefully that is a focus in practice this week with the DL because that can be demoralizing for a QB if we can bat down 2-3 early.

I feel like our offense is going to move the ball, the staff seems like they have enough of a play book to make adjustments and we have a good combination of speed and size. Landi looks huge out there at WR and with Knowles, we should be able to get some possession type catches.

I don't know if we'll win or not, but I think we have a very good chance if we play a solid game. I don't think we need a perfect game to win this though, just no huge mistakes.

My prediction: Very little work getting accomplished this week.

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

I don't know why everyone is scared of the "giant". This isn't David vs Goliath here. Florida is not what they were. They are good, don't get me wrong, but they are no where near the 4th best team in the nation. Brantley is average at best, I predict that if we go in there and beat them this week, he may not be their starter for long. He doesn't fit Meyer's offense.

RB - Demps is ridiculously fast. We have to plug up all the holes because if he gets into the secondary, he's gone. That said, he is not that strong. I don't think I saw him break any tackles on Saturday, so, the holes don't have to be completely plugged, we just have to try and get our arms around him, he looked like he would go down pretty easily. Their other RBs are stronger, but not as fast, their offense is based on speed, so we should be able to run with them if we stay disciplined on the mis-direction stuff.

WR - They look to have one very solid WR, I don't know if our DBs are up to the challenge, but hopefully they can man-up for this one.

QB - This was a bit of a shock to me, I had heard that Brantley was better than Tebow, and would be a great passer. He is accurate, and seemed to make some good reads, but, his arm is pretty weak, and he has a huge wind up. I think if we play some sort of zone with the safeties, they will have a chance to jump some routes. Not to mention that as long as it takes Brantley to release, the DL should be able to get their hands up and bat some balls (I think Miami had 1 or 2). Hopefully that is a focus in practice this week with the DL because that can be demoralizing for a QB if we can bat down 2-3 early.

I feel like our offense is going to move the ball, the staff seems like they have enough of a play book to make adjustments and we have a good combination of speed and size. Landi looks huge out there at WR and with Knowles, we should be able to get some possession type catches.

I don't know if we'll win or not, but I think we have a very good chance if we play a solid game. I don't think we need a perfect game to win this though, just no huge mistakes.

Goliath lost  ;D

• Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

I think we can stop Brantley ...

I know we can score against them.

Play smart on Special Teams.

WE WIN !!!

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Goliath lost   ;D

I know, the point was, that was supposed to be a blowout and was literally a shock of Biblical proportions when David won. This won't be that big of a shock.

• Content Count:  37,595
  • Days Won:  29

... This won't be that big of a shock.

Agree.

Tebow carried their offense and their D lost alot ... this team is very very good and worthy of a Top 10 ranking.

We need to show we're a Top 25 team and beat them in their house.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Goliath lost   ;D

I know, the point was, that was supposed to be a blowout and was literally a shock of Biblical proportions when David won. This won't be that big of a shock.

to their fans it may be  ;D

Archived