• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quarterbacks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

Regarding Daniels, does anyone else get the impression that all the efforts and talk about trying to force him into a pocket QB mold (by both him and the coaches) is a bad thing?  Historically, both he and Grothe had times when maybe they tucked and ran before they made all their reads.  But I have to wonder if this continual talk about staying in the pocket (which I have suspected from the beginning was a marketing campaign by Daniels to increase his NFL stock) is stifling his natural instincts.  I'm not unhappy with his play at all ... I just hope he's not intentionally holding back to make some sort of point.  And I'm thinking back with fond memories to the raw talent we saw at the FSU game last year, and how much fun that was. Go Bulls.

• Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

Regarding Daniels, does anyone else get the impression that all the efforts and talk about trying to force him into a pocket QB mold (by both him and the coaches) is a bad thing?  Historically, both he and Grothe had times when maybe they tucked and ran before they made all their reads.  But I have to wonder if this continual talk about staying in the pocket (which I have suspected from the beginning was a marketing campaign by Daniels to increase his NFL stock) is stifling his natural instincts.  I'm not unhappy with his play at all ... I just hope he's not intentionally holding back to make some sort of point.  And I'm thinking back with fond memories to the raw talent we saw at the FSU game last year, and how much fun that was. Go Bulls.

I think that Coach isn't going to purposely stifle a tried-and-true potent weapon and I think we will probably see us really open up the playbook with some vintage Daniels this weekend.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Daniels showed a lot of improvement against Stony Brook. He read the defense correctly on the first play to setup Bogan who abused the corner on him and had nobody else touch him instead of handing it off to Battles who was going to get stuffed. He tucked and ran with it a couple of times AFTER he went through his progressions, and he threw it away when he had no other option.

Eveld made me a believer too.

Of course it's just SB and they probably did a lot to make our QB's look good but nonetheless they both showed nice accuracy and poise. These things should carry over through the season. I would've been less encouraged if it were just BJ beating the defense with his feet and a rocket arm all day. He hit the intermediate stuff all day, and showed good touch, which is new territory for Daniels.

• Content Count:  2,558

He is an athlete, he will do what is needed to win

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Did BJ bulk up this year? he seemed bigger to me.

is RSing Gunsby a good idea? Don't we have 2 QBs in next year's class? wouldnt we rather have the deph this year since it looks like we would be covered next year?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

No need to burn a RS if not neccesary, especially at QB. Hopefully we don't need to relay on a #2.

We're never set at a position, I remember a QB for the future named Hill. Need to land a QB each class.

Both QB's looked good Saturday.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I have some of the same concerns. BJ has been very vocal about not wanting to run. It was worse last year, and sometimes, I felt like he forced some throws when he should have taken off. Hopefully another year of learning to read defenses and he won't try to force anything and take what the defense gives him.

I don't care what he wants to do, he needs to make sure that he is not thinking about not running, and just let the game unfold and take what is there. I was happy to see him take of a few times. We need his running ability as well as passing.

BTW, BJ looked pretty sharp passing I thought, very accurate for the first game except one low ball that I can think of. The deep ball to Landi could have led him a little more, but not a bad pass, Landi had time to react  and make the play on the ball.

• Content Count:  4,451

Eveld do remind me of Tony Pike with a stronger arm as mention by Shuan King. If he continue to grow, he could be our first NFL QB prospect to come out of USF.                      P.s. Shuan King needs to drop the fork and back away from the table. He could play o-line for the NFL.

My exact thoughts on both individuals during the game.  I was impressed with Eveld and the walkon WR that he was throwin to.  I hope Eveld can beef up a bit.  I didn't even recognize Shaun King.  Is he even 33 yrs old? 

Archived