• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sources say BYU going Independent (done deal), could affect BE

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Flip,

Imagine as an independent, playing a schedule that consists of different teams every other year from the

2 SEC

2 Big 12

2 ACC

2 Big 10

2 BE

that's exactly how Miami scheduled as an independent. that would be fantastic. much better than playing the same 7 teams every year.

even with miami and UF on our schedule, we won't crack top 50 for SOS this year.

Great recruits want to play against great competition in big games.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think BYU would get that type of schedule.

We have already seen publications ranking our schedule in the Top 20, so I'm not sure where you're basing your Top 50 SOS for us.

can you show me where we play a top 20 schedule?

cbs sportsline has us at 39.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/polls/120/index2

phil steele has us at 49.

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2010/June10/DBJune07.html

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flip,

Imagine as an independent, playing a schedule that consists of different teams every other year from the

2 SEC

2 Big 12

2 ACC

2 Big 10

2 BE

that's exactly how Miami scheduled as an independent. that would be fantastic. much better than playing the same 7 teams every year.

even with miami and UF on our schedule, we won't crack top 50 for SOS this year.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think BYU would get that type of schedule.

We have already seen publications ranking our schedule in the Top 20, so I'm not sure where you're basing your Top 50 SOS for us.

you're right. I could see BYU playing 4 pac ten teams. 4 wac teams and a mix of big 12, big 10 and acc teams.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Apparently you haven't looked at their schedule. They have plenty of BCS opponents.  OU, FSU, UCLA, Washington, ASU, ND, Standford, USC, Georgia Tech, BC, Arizona, etc. Home and away. All since 2003.

Anybody in the pac ten jumps at the chance to play them in a 1 for 1. They can play the 4 WAC teams at the end of the season if need be.

Why would these BCS teams choose to play BYU when they are in MWC but not when they are independent?

Apparently you need to look a little closer at their schedule. They did not have a home and home with OU. They played a neutral site game in Dallas with OU last season.

Take OU off of their list and you're left with PAC 10 and ACC programs from the BCS Conferences. That's exactly what they'd be looking at going independent. It also becomes more difficult for them to schedule once the calendar turns into October since these BCS programs will be in conference play.

They'd still get the early season games with BCS programs that they're already getting now, plus you'd get Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State in the MWC. Their 4 WAC options would blow compared to the MWC options.

Flip,

2 SEC

2 Big 12

2 ACC

2 Big 10

2 BE

you're right. I could see BYU playing 4 pac ten teams. 4 wac teams and a mix of big 12, big 10 and acc teams.

As long as their ok with not getting a return game from the Big 12 and Big 10

Apparently you haven't looked at their schedule. They have plenty of BCS opponents.  OU, FSU, UCLA, Washington, ASU, ND, Standford, USC, Georgia Tech, BC, Arizona, etc. Home and away. All since 2003.

Anybody in the pac ten jumps at the chance to play them in a 1 for 1. They can play the 4 WAC teams at the end of the season if need be.

Why would these BCS teams choose to play BYU when they are in MWC but not when they are independent?

Apparently you need to look a little closer at their schedule. They did not have a home and home with OU. They played a neutral site game in Dallas with OU last season.

Take OU off of their list and you're left with PAC 10 and ACC programs from the BCS Conferences. That's exactly what they'd be looking at going independent. It also becomes more difficult for them to schedule once the calendar turns into October since these BCS programs will be in conference play.

They'd still get the early season games with BCS programs that they're already getting now, plus you'd get Boise State, Nevada and Fresno State in the MWC. Their 4 WAC options would blow compared to the MWC options.

OU at a neutral site can be considered 1/2 a home game. I bet they did alright financially playing in front of 110,000 in dallas. UF plays UG neutral every year. Alabama, Virginia Tech, etc. play neutral site games.

Nevada and Fresno state??? That's why they should stay??? to keep them on their schedule??? wow.

Utah, their main rival, will not play them if they are in the MWC. They might as an independent.

On thing is for sure, the guys running BYU's athletic department know a hell of a lot more than you or I. they get paid big bucks to make these decisions and I doubt they do it on the fly. they have been looking at this for quite awhile. If they do it, they know exactly what they are getting into.

can you show me where we play a top 20 schedule?

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=72336.0

Arbitrary, but I'd be hard pressed to find many teams who have a tougher road schedule than we do.

OU at a neutral site can be considered 1/2 a home game. I bet they did alright financially playing in front of 110,000 in dallas. UF plays UG neutral every year. Alabama, Virginia Tech, etc. play neutral site games.

Nevada and Fresno state??? That's why they should stay??? to keep them on their schedule??? wow.

Utah, their main rival, will not play them if they are in the MWC. They might as an independent.

On thing is for sure, the guys running BYU's athletic department know a hell of a lot more than you or I. they get paid big bucks to make these decisions and I doubt they do it on the fly. they have been looking at this for quite awhile. If they do it, they know exactly what they are getting into.

I wouldn't call it 1/2 a home game when the crowd was certainly more than 50% OU fans. Yes, they probably gained a good deal of $$$ from playing that game, but OU won't give them a 1 for 1.

I said that adding Fresno State, Boise State and Nevada was better off than the 4 games they's be playing against the WAC. I would think that you'd agreee with that. Again, BYU is not going to get the type of teams you think they will if they go independent. They will get the PAC 10 teams and some ACC teams 1 for 1, but the other BCS leagues are a different story.

If they want to go independent to keep Utah on the schedule, then so be it. That's not the way they should be thinking. They have a better shot at a BCS game staying the MWC.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Flip,

2 SEC

2 Big 12

2 ACC

2 Big 10

2 BE

While that would be great, as apis said: "This is not the same NCAA as it was when Miami, FSU and others were independent.  The BCS has changed all of that."

BCS hasn't changed anything. they still have the same bowls. if anything it would be easier for an independent to play in a top bowl.

did you know the rose has to pick a non-bcs team this year if either a pac ten or big ten team plays for the NC?

Where does it say that the Rose has to pick a non-BCS team?  They could always take a BCS conference runner-up.  Also, bolding a line doesn't make it true.

We're going to have to disagree here.  I don't think they can schedule the way you think they can and unless they try it, there's really no way to tell.

• Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

Flip,

2 SEC

2 Big 12

2 ACC

2 Big 10

2 BE

While that would be great, as apis said: "This is not the same NCAA as it was when Miami, FSU and others were independent.  The BCS has changed all of that."

BCS hasn't changed anything. they still have the same bowls. if anything it would be easier for an independent to play in a top bowl.

did you know the rose has to pick a non-bcs team this year if either a pac ten or big ten team plays for the NC?

Where does it say that the Rose has to pick a non-BCS team?  They could always take a BCS conference runner-up.  Also, bolding a line doesn't make it true.

We're going to have to disagree here.  I don't think they can schedule the way you think they can and unless they try it, there's really no way to tell.

that team would have to be ranked pretty darn high in order to make it as an independent. These are the guide lines from the bcs:

Automatic Qualification

1.    The top two teams in the final BCS Standings will play in the national championship game.

2.    The champions of the Atlantic Coast, BIG EAST, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern conferences automatically qualify for BCS games each year.

3.    One team from among the champions of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference automatically qualify for a BCS game if either: A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or, B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

4.    Notre Dame will automatically qualify for a BCS bowl if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

5.    If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team shall become an automatic qualifier.

6.    If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if Step No. 5 has not been applied and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team shall become an automatic qualifier.

7.    If any slots remain unfilled after the placement of all teams qualifying for an automatic berth, then the bowls shall choose their participants from the ?pool of eligible teams? (see below.)

Flip,

2 SEC

2 Big 12

2 ACC

2 Big 10

2 BE

I didn't say bolding it makes it true. read up. it's the rose bowls turn to take a non-bcs team.

The big winners of college football???s bowl-a-palooza are teams such as Boise State, Utah and TCU, who could play in the Rose Bowl. If the non-Big Six powers can't play themselves into the national title game, they can at least have a shot at the Rose Bowl. That's right: The bastion of bowl tradition could have Boise State. The first time the Rose Bowl loses the Pac-10 and/or Big Ten champion to the BCS title game and a non-Big Six team qualifies for the BCS, the Rose must take that non-Big Six team

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/185571

Archived