• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls in SEC?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Certainly doesn't hurt to try to get in to the SEC.  I don't think Miami or FSU are interested.  So if they want another Florida team then we might be it.  There would be goo reason to expand down here with Florida being the largest state by population in the SE. 

FSU doesn't want to be in the shadow of UF.   Miami doesn't even have the potential for a consistent, rabid fan base.  They have a great history, but their support thins out when the wins fade. 

The Big East was a long shot seven years ago too.  With USF, it is always more about our potential at this point.  I don't think it's likely, but I do think it's possible.  And I think we should explore all options.

I do know that our attendance would automatically climb in the SEC as would our TV ratings.  And we'd have a lot of sellouts at RayJay.

usf does not have the following to join.  Plus I believe the SEC requires an on campus stadium.  where is usf going to get that money.  Believe me if I was a billionaire I would donate the money to build one, but unfortunately I am not.

Put a couple classrooms in RayJay and call it a day

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Certainly doesn't hurt to try to get in to the SEC.  I don't think Miami or FSU are interested.  So if they want another Florida team then we might be it.  There would be goo reason to expand down here with Florida being the largest state by population in the SE. 

FSU doesn't want to be in the shadow of UF.   Miami doesn't even have the potential for a consistent, rabid fan base.  They have a great history, but their support thins out when the wins fade. 

The Big East was a long shot seven years ago too.  With USF, it is always more about our potential at this point.  I don't think it's likely, but I do think it's possible.  And I think we should explore all options.

I do know that our attendance would automatically climb in the SEC as would our TV ratings.  And we'd have a lot of sellouts at RayJay.

I fully agree about the fan base. I think that it would be a condition of joining that we have a stadium in xx years, but, the SEC would bring in $10 million or more extra per year, so the money issue may not be completely absurd. We would have to bond the hell out of it, but, with the increased revenue, it may be managable. I wonder what a 60k seat stadium is running these days. $250-300 million I would imagine.

The comment about Miami's fan base is a little odd. Sure, they have had attendance issues, but there are Miami fans everywhere. We do have a large potential fan base, but they already have a large fan base, their only issue is getting people to show up.

usf does not have the following to join.  Plus I believe the SEC requires an on campus stadium.  where is usf going to get that money.  Believe me if I was a billionaire I would donate the money to build one, but unfortunately I am not.

• Content Count:  1,204

Miami fans kinda are everywhere.  They are not a very dedicated fan base.  They become rabid when Miami is ranked in the top ten and less so when they are not.  They're fairweather fans.

And if the SEC wants an on campus stadium then Miami is out anyways.  They've tried but Coral Gables has not let it happen.  They don't want them to have one.

I do agree that IF an offer from the SEC did come down that they would want us to build an OCS probably within 10 years.  That's why we're not optimum. 

My point, however, is that if FSU doesn't want to join and Miami isn't a viable option, do you just let the ACC grab USF and possibly UCF?  UF is strong, but I don't think they can fully hold down the state if the ACC ends up with four Florida schools.  So it would make some sense to look at another Florida school if FSU and Miami aren't interested.  Adding UCF would be an embarrassment for the SEC because they are CUSA, but USF at least has been ranked highly and been in a BCS conference.  It's still more about potential with us.

If FSU decides to accept an invitation then the point is moot.  They would be the top target in the state, no doubt.  And Fisher would definitely be open to that.  But he doesn't make the decision.  FSU likes being in the ACC for basketball and they don't want to be in UF's shadow.  So they could very well say no if invited.

I'm fine with either outcome.  I like the idea of being in the ACC, especially if Miami and FSU stay.  I'd be okay with them adding UCF too if the ACC would look to get to 16 teams.  I think we'd do better in the ACC, at least initially.  Though Tampa Bay is a hotbed of talent and it would be appealing to play in the SEC and stay in Tampa. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

SEC = NOT winning a conference title for at least for the next 10-20 years.

conference titles are overrated

• Content Count:  771

I'm assuming you mean USF.

SEC = no invite for USF

Plus conference titles are not overrated, because if you don't win one that usually means you are not playing for a national title.

I'm assuming you mean USF.

SEC = no invite for USF

Plus conference titles are not overrated, because if you don't win one that usually means you are not playing for a national title.

national title are for posers

• Content Count:  509

I'd rather be in the SEC or ACC even if it means we are not likely to win those conferences anytime soon then win Conference USA or the Sun Belt every year! 

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I don't always visit this board, but when I do...it gets more and more delusional.  SEC?  Get real.  Stop being homers and be realistic about the future of the prgram.  Besides going into a revamped SEC would be slightly akin to when we went into the BE for basketball.  We'd be bottom third dwellers for the forseeable future.

You need to visit more often, beastie .... Your bubbly personality is sorely missed.

You're very correct.  It would appear that levity around here is at a serious premium. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no way usf sec

Archived