• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big Ten meets, will likely speed up timetable

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

the only thing that matters to me is that USF stays in a bcs conference

+1

will the acc merge with the big east?  If big 10 takes mizzou, nebraska, nd, navy(nd is requesting it), and rutgers or maryland, and the sec takes fsu, clemson, GT, and 1 other acc school that will leave the acc with 8 or 7 schools.  They would almost have to follow suit and go to 16 teams which a merger with the BE football schools would make sense.  They could add ucf or memphis if it only came out to 15 teams.  what does everyone think?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If they threw Army into the mix, that would be three schools (Army, Navy, and ND) with a national following.  I know Army's been awful, but it is intriguing.

Army used to be in a conference - some here may recall a certain Homecoming game - but the Black Knights left to go Independent because, for them, it made scheduling EASIER.

Navy has said they have no interest in joining a conference for similar reasons.

The Big East did talk with them about a hybrid - where each would be 1/2 members playing 4 conference games a year (2 home, 2 away)... but the service academies passed on that.

Remember, for Army and Navy, they don't need the $$.  It's not like having more cash would make them more competitive on the field - they are still limited by being service academies with significantly higher standards for admission than almost every other school (save, maybe, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Air Force).

For that reason, I suspect Notre Dame will move to a conference long before Army & Navy will.

Oh, I agree with you.  It just makes for an intriguing discussion.  If academics and TV are your primary concerns, Army and Navy would enhance both of those.

• Content Count:  115

ND was also represented at the Big Ten meeting:

The 11 school presidents and chancellors along with Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick met for about 4 1 / 2 hours, and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney said the majority of time was spent on expansion dialogue.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100606/SPORTS04/6060350/Big-Ten-Conference-officials-mum-on-expansion

Why would ND be at a Big 10 meeting unless they were seriously considering going to the B10.

The 11 school presidents and chancellors along with Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick met for about 4 1 / 2 hours, and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney said the majority of time was spent on expansion dialogue.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100606/SPORTS04/6060350/Big-Ten-Conference-officials-mum-on-expansion

Why would ND be at a Big 10 meeting unless they were seriously considering going to the B10.

He wasn't at the meetings

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/06/irishs-swarbrick-at-big-ten-meetings-today----not/

If they threw Army into the mix, that would be three schools (Army, Navy, and ND) with a national following. I know Army's been awful, but it is intriguing.

Army used to be in a conference - some here may recall a certain Homecoming game - but the Black Knights left to go Independent because, for them, it made scheduling EASIER.

Navy has said they have no interest in joining a conference for similar reasons.

The Big East did talk with them about a hybrid - where each would be 1/2 members playing 4 conference games a year (2 home, 2 away)... but the service academies passed on that.

Remember, for Army and Navy, they don't need the $$. It's not like having more cash would make them more competitive on the field - they are still limited by being service academies with significantly higher standards for admission than almost every other school (save, maybe, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Air Force).

For that reason, I suspect Notre Dame will move to a conference long before Army & Navy will.

I agree it makes no $ for them to move and no conference wants to take their B-ball and olympic sports.  As bad as Army has been they will never make a bowl.

He wasn't at the meetings

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/06/irishs-swarbrick-at-big-ten-meetings-today----not/

Nice get.  Make more sense now.

here is another interesting article.  read the last paragraph.  if any of the big east schools wanted to go to the big 12 they would have to reapply for bcs aq bids. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

here is another interesting article.  read the last paragraph.  if any of the big east schools wanted to go to the big 12 they would have to reapply for bcs aq bids. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/sports/07conference.html

maybe i'm reading it wrong, but that last paragraph is talking about the big 12 being dead and kansas and kansas state joining the BE.

If the Pac-10 swiped six teams from the Big 12 and Missouri or Nebraska went to the Big Ten, the Big 12 would become defunct. Under N.C.A.A. guidelines, a conference needs at least six universities that have played together for five years. The Big 12 would lose its Bowl Championship Series bid and automatic bid to the N.C.A.A. basketball tournament. That could leave colleges like Kansas and Kansas State to be snapped up by the Big East, which could be its best bet to continue using the lure of a B.C.S. bid for football recruits.

• Content Count:  4,501

If they threw Army into the mix, that would be three schools (Army, Navy, and ND) with a national following.  I know Army's been awful, but it is intriguing.

Remember, for Army and Navy, they don't need the $$.  It's not like having more cash would make them more competitive on the field - they are still limited by being service academies with significantly higher standards for admission than almost every other school (save, maybe, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, and Air Force).

Dont forget NORTHWESTERN

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

So Florida brings in over 27 million from the SEC and Sunsports. Texas would be wise to try and get in the SEC.

Archived