• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big Ten meets, will likely speed up timetable

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

So Florida brings in over 27 million from the SEC and Sunsports. Texas would be wise to try and get in the SEC.

SEC would have to take A&M, Tech, and baylor.  would they do that?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Florida brings in over 27 million from the SEC and Sunsports. Texas would be wise to try and get in the SEC.

Texas turned down an SEC offer in the 1990s because of the lower academic standards in the SEC. Heck, they had to fight Nebraska to raise them up for the Big 12.

Oh, and then what he said:

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Big Ten Around the Bend?

Husker AD ready "to put this thing to bed"

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2010/06/08/4c0ee2a721c3c

• Content Count:  40

Texas turned down an SEC offer in the 1990s because of the lower academic standards in the SEC.  Heck, they had to fight Nebraska to raise them up for the Big 12.

I've never really understood the argument that Texas makes about their academics being so much better than the SEC schools.  I don't think they'd really be that out of place there.  Vanderbilt is obviously better than texas and maybe even UF and UGA.  Compare that to the PAC10 where you would have Stanford, Cal, and UCLA clearly in a different academic world  and USC and Washington are likely also higher regarded than Texas.  I guess I can't blame Texas for wanting to be upwardly mobile, but their "holier than thou" attitude towards academics and the SEC is not justified.

I can't believe I just wrote a post in defense of the SEC.  I'm going to go throw up now.

• Content Count:  771

Texas turned down an SEC offer in the 1990s because of the lower academic standards in the SEC.  Heck, they had to fight Nebraska to raise them up for the Big 12.

I've never really understood the argument that Texas makes about their academics being so much better than the SEC schools.  I don't think they'd really be that out of place there.  Vanderbilt is obviously better than texas and maybe even UF and UGA.  Compare that to the PAC10 where you would have Stanford, Cal, and UCLA clearly in a different academic world  and USC and Washington are likely also higher regarded than Texas.  I guess I can't blame Texas for wanting to be upwardly mobile, but their "holier than thou" attitude towards academics and the SEC is not justified.

I can't believe I just wrote a post in defense of the SEC.  I'm going to go throw up now.

I don't think it is so much the top SEC academic schools that are scaring texas.  it's the bottom that scares them.  The worse schools for the pac 10 are washington state and oregon state, that's it.  the rest are pretty good academically.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I thought the whole academic issue, or at least part of it, was that the SEC allows partial qualifiers.

First, there are two AAU members in the SEC: Florida & Vanderbilt.  Nine of the Pac 10 are members of the AAU.  All 11 members of the Big Ten are members of the AAU.  So, yes, the actual academic institutions are not on par with Texas. 

Second, and this more important, the SEC allows the very wide-spread practice of oversigning "partial qualifiers" -- something even USF does.  Texas opposes that - to the point Texas actually changed the Big Eight practice when it came into the league.  The Big Eight was like the SEC with qualifiers -- but Texas, and Texas alone, dictated that practice must stop.  The SEC will never stop that practice.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

no one is taking baylor

texas is smart to go to la with pac 10

instead of hillbillland

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

First, there are two AAU members in the SEC: Florida & Vanderbilt.  Nine of the Pac 10 are members of the AAU.  All 11 members of the Big Ten are members of the AAU.  So, yes, the actual academic institutions are not on par with Texas. 

Second, and this more important, the SEC allows the very wide-spread practice of oversigning "partial qualifiers" -- something even USF does.  Texas opposes that - to the point Texas actually changed the Big Eight practice when it came into the league.  The Big Eight was like the SEC with qualifiers -- but Texas, and Texas alone, dictated that practice must stop.  The SEC will never stop that practice.

la over  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  any city in sec

not even close call

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

smazza, you do realize that they wouldn't actually move the school to the Pacific?  They'll still be in Texas.

Archived