• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Texas is seriously talking of going Independent.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Texas has nearly 25 million people in the state. They are the second leading state by population and one of the fastest growing states in the country. The university of Texas is one of the most profitable and popular in the country.

I'm not sure of the # of households but let's just say there are 8 million(3+ per). If they can get a channel on basic cable in just the state of Texas for half the price the big ten commands (.40c) where there would be huge demand in most places then that could generate $3.2M per month in subscriber fees alone. That's almost $40M per year using conservative estimates. The big ten total payout is $22M after all bowl revenues, etc.

It could benefit them financially to go independent.

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

Texas has nearly 25 million people in the state. They are the second leading state by population and one of the fastest growing states in the country. The university of Texas is one of the most profitable and popular in the country.

I'm not sure of the # of households but let's just say there are 8 million(3+ per). If they can get a channel on basic cable in just the state of Texas for half the price the big ten commands (.40c) where there would be huge demand in most places then that could generate $3.2M per month in subscriber fees alone. That's almost $40M per year using conservative estimates. The big ten total payout is $22M after all bowl revenues, etc.

They can do that staying in the big 12, and would not have the scheduling issues that would come with being independant

They can do that staying in the big 12, and would not have the scheduling issues that would come with being independant

sure a channel with no actual live game footage. The conference has sold the rights to other broadcasters. I'm not sure a channel with no actual live game coverage would command anything.

I doubt the conference would allow a member to control it's own live game rights and still be a member but maybe.

• Content Count:  4,879

channel has to have 'content'.  a UT-only channel even for rabid horns fans might not succeed.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I know, I live here. And not everyone in Texas is a Horns fan. Would A&M fans sit down and watch that channel? What about Oklahoma and OSU alums who settled down in Dallas? What about everyone who went to Texas Tech, or Baylor, or TCU, or Houston? What about our large (and growing) Hispanic population that cares more about futbol than football?

Not to mention they would have to stay in a conference for every other sport, which means they wouldn't be able to broadcast any of those games and maybe not even the repeats. They would be hurting for content after awhile.

I know, I live here. And not everyone in Texas is a Horns fan. Would A&M fans sit down and watch that channel? What about Oklahoma and OSU alums who settled down in Dallas? What about everyone who went to Texas Tech, or Baylor, or TCU, or Houston? What about our large (and growing) Hispanic population that cares more about futbol than football?

Not to mention they would have to stay in a conference for every other sport, which means they wouldn't be able to broadcast any of those games and maybe not even the repeats. They would be hurting for content after awhile.

It doesn't matter if everyone is a fan. do you think all the basic subscribers that have the big ten channel are fans? of course not. You just need a small group of fans to demand the channel and the cable companies will put them on basic. I pay for all sorts of channels that I don't watch.

• Content Count:  4,451

In the state of TX, UT is king.  Everyone one else is secondary except maybe the Cowboys.  Even A&M is a step down due their abyssmal seasons lately.  The only issue an all UT cable channel in TX it may effect basketball game attendance.  From what I understand that it is easy to get Bskball tix even when they are ranked.  Blacking out Austin would not make any sense either.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

channel has to have 'content'.   a UT-only channel even for rabid horns fans might not succeed.

they could include re-runs of:

chuck20norriswk7.jpg

I'm surprised chuck doesn't have his own channel already.  ;D

• Content Count:  4,016

channel has to have 'content'.   a UT-only channel even for rabid horns fans might not succeed.

they could include re-runs of:

chuck20norriswk7.jpg

I'm surprised chuck doesn't have his own channel already.  ;D

Sweet...someone deserves props for another well thought out Chuck Norris reference. ;)  I thought Chuck owned all the satellites and decides who watches what.  So why would he need a channel. ;D ;D

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

never happen

Archived