• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ask Brett

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Sheriff,

Sure, it is good that Brett reports stuff like he see it, but it really hurts USF in the long run. To be honest, would recruits want to go to USF if they read all these articles about the low attendence and player defections??? Personally, I would be turned off from USF if I read the articles from the Tribune during the past two years. Honestly, I feel that it is strange that the Trib has dogged USF many times during these past two years. Would the Trib dog USF this much if we were still sponsored by them??  Face it, Seth did nothing but blow smoke up everyone's ass when he got here. He was a good snake oil salesman to say the least. USF basketball got pimped and set back a few years when they hired Seth. Seth is a nice guy, but he will never be a good basketball coach like Huggins, Pitino, Knight, etc. He will never get VaTech in the NCAAs, but he might get them into the NITs. Yes, the same NIT that you were pissed off with when we went the last time. McCullum will win these next three games, but I doubt you will ever be the USF fan that you were back in the GreenbergOpolis days. I wish you had the same passion like you did back in the days, but I know it wont happen because you frankly are not a McCullum fan.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The passion will always be there... unfortunately, the immaturity won't be. That is the big difference. When I was in college, I could afford to be immature... now 2100 miles away, living in a tent to support USF hoops would be kinda pointless out here. Change is difficult for everyone... I didn't handle Seth leaving well (especially when I felt he got run out of town). Of course I was bitter with whomever replaced him. Now... I just want to win.

I can't see how you said Seth set this basketball program back. While competing against football, which no other coach has had to do, he still gave the basketball program a face. We've never had a Huggins or Pitino here, so even comparing Seth versus them in the same breath is kinda pointless. Can you really compare McCullum to Bob Knight?

A coach needs to be a hype machine for his team when attendance is dismal... Seth was a great PR man for USF... unfortunately his teams were always about three to four wins short of being tourney bound.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Jose's deal was a good one when he signed it.  It should be a good one until the end of the season.

Had Woolard given Jose a 5 year deal and doubled his money everyone on this board would've called Woolard an idiot.

We all tend to judge things in hindsight.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Glad to see Brett still stops by the board to check up on things.  I hope this post has spured some questions to the "Ask Brett" link.  

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

I'm sure this might generate some responses, but I won't respond. However, if you have any questions, feel free to E-mail me and I'll continue to respond to each and every one. Thanks and happy holidays.

Brett

What I find funny is that Brett wrote that he would not reply to responses to his post, but people still asked him questions on the forum.  He clearly stated to email him, and he would respond to all of them.

This makes you wonder if USF students graduate with any reading comprehension skills.  ???   ::)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

What I find funny is that Brett wrote that he would not reply to responses to his post, but people still asked him questions on the forum.  He clearly stated to email him, and he would respond to all of them.

This makes you wonder if USF students graduate with any reading comprehension skills.  ???   ::)

I think what this really illustrates is that Brett took offense to the comments made questioning his motives and he responded only to defend himself.  He broke his silence for that reason.

I have little doubt he reads the board - as do reporters from other papers - there are some good ideas on what fans question or want to read about.

That is the most discouraging aspect of it.  Brett ought to be able to respond to questions and participate in ways other than self-defense.  He may be limited in that regard by TBO, but at one point a while ago, Brett originally had the "Ask Brett" feature at SFB.com.  Since that closed down, he has had little to do with the site.

I would like an answer to my question on Woolard but it appears the "Ask Brett" link at TBO isn't working right - it's about the Devil Rays.  I wouldn't think it too much to ask for a response, even with the understanding there likely may not be one.  Because for the sake of the argument about the Fernandez story, the Woolard question is a good one (I think).

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

A coach needs to be a hype machine for his team when attendance is dismal... Seth was a great PR man for USF... unfortunately his teams were always about three to four wins short of being tourney bound.

I would rather have a coach who sells the program than one who getting information from is like pulling teeth.

The problem is that people tend to believe that just because you're selling the program, you're going to deliver the world at their feet. With a coach who doesn't sell the program, people tend to become disinterested or look elsewhere for the source of the perceived "problem." You can't win the national championship every year, but you can do the best you can with what you have.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

MM,

McCullum is going to sell the program by winning games unlike you know who. If the fans are that clueless about the basketball program than why waste time hyping them up?? They wont support that hype crap because Seth used that card a long time ago. The attendence was pretty bad at USF during Seth's last season, so you really cant put the blame on the new coach. Jeez, it is no wonder other coaches turned down a chance to coach USF. McCullum will get it turned around.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I would rather have a coach who sells the program than one who getting information from is like pulling teeth.

Who cares about "getting information"?? Win conference games, an upset OOC game once in awhile .... I don't give a **** about "getting information".

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

ok

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...too bad you couldn't take the time to read and understand the entire message thread, and instead took a cheap shot at one line that I wrote. Please go back to watching TV political talking heads if that's the way you're going to react to things people post on here.