• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

by suing usf,should leavitt be seen as an enemy of usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I think what smazza means that USF will never, especially because of the lawsuit, do anything done in his honor in the future. Skip is the perfect replacement whose affable personality is larger then life. I believe that the university hopes that one day, people will no longer remember his name, with Skip being the one that takes the team to great glory and being remembered as USF's greatest coach.

Being someone who never had a contract for employment, I can't wrap my head around asking for years worth of wages that I will DO NOTHING to earn, you know, like robbery. And for it to be a public institution at that. Its like robbing the citizens of the state. Coaching contracts in college sports should be abolsihed, and they should be jobs without contracts like most everyone else, with more down to earth pay. There are only x amount of teams in the NFL, there are tons of coaches. The NCAA comes up with a ruling on that, some sanity will return to college sports.

well said

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I would think the only semi related situation would be Woody Hayes and Ohio State but on a much smaller scale. What Coach Hayes did was televised but he also had led OSU to 3 national championships. They opened an athletic center with his name on it shortly after Hayes died in 87'. So if that is any indication, it would be a long time before USF would acknowlege Leavitt by naming something after him.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I would think the only semi related situation would be Woody Hayes and Ohio State but on a much smaller scale. What Coach Hayes did was televised but he also had led OSU to 3 national championships. They opened an athletic center with his name on it shortly after Hayes died in 87'. So if that is any indication, it would be a long time before USF would acknowlege Leavitt by naming something after him.

the day we open out OCS imo it will be "insert sponsor here" Stadium at Jim Leavitt Field

leavitt didnt win anything

they should name a trailor after him since that is what he is best known for

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I think Leavitt is doing exactly what he should have done.  After being let go with no pay (one month severance) you have to go back on to the contract and see what it says.  If the school had a contract with hi (or any person or company for that matter) and if the contract were terminated without meeting the parameters of that termination clause, then the injured party (read Leavitt) has a right to sue to get what he is deserved.  If I were in Leavitt's shoes, I'd do the same thing. 

Had USF gone about this in a smart way, they would have let him resign (which was probably the purpose of the meeting they held before the firing) and offered a reasonable severance to do so.  He could have saved face, and all would be good in USF land.  In 10 years, they would all be friends and he would be able to step foot on the campus and be recognized, and maybe get something named after him, for building up a program from scratch.  Instead, I don't think there willl ever even be a plaque named after him.

Heck, outside of the mention of him in a line item as the coach from xx year to xx year, I doubt he will get much mention in the media guide for 2010.  They will erase him out of the annuals due to this bitter separation.

This is not a boyfriend and girlfriend splitting up, this is a divorce between two people who were together for 13 years and have mutual assets.  It will be ugly and that could have been avoided. 

I do not blame Leavitt for doing what he has to from hinm and his family.  And at this point, it does not llook like they did proper due diligence.  It looks like they took the stories that suited their case and use d them, and not hte entire picture.  Leavitt will get a good settlement, and move on in his life and do well at his next stopping point. 

I think Leavitt is doing exactly what he should have done.  After being let go with no pay (one month severance) you have to go back on to the contract and see what it says.  If the school had a contract with hi (or any person or company for that matter) and if the contract were terminated without meeting the parameters of that termination clause, then the injured party (read Leavitt) has a right to sue to get what he is deserved.  If I were in Leavitt's shoes, I'd do the same thing.   

Had USF gone about this in a smart way, they would have let him resign (which was probably the purpose of the meeting they held before the firing) and offered a reasonable severance to do so.  He could have saved face, and all would be good in USF land.   In 10 years, they would all be friends and he would be able to step foot on the campus and be recognized, and maybe get something named after him, for building up a program from scratch.  Instead, I don't think there willl ever even be a plaque named after him.

Heck, outside of the mention of him in a line item as the coach from xx year to xx year, I doubt he will get much mention in the media guide for 2010.  They will erase him out of the annuals due to this bitter separation.

This is not a boyfriend and girlfriend splitting up, this is a divorce between two people who were together for 13 years and have mutual assets.  It will be ugly and that could have been avoided. 

I do not blame Leavitt for doing what he has to from hinm and his family.   And at this point, it does not llook like they did proper due diligence.  It looks like they took the stories that suited their case and use d them, and not hte entire picture.  Leavitt will get a good settlement, and move on in his life and do well at his next stopping point. 

if he hit the kid

usf should have kicked him out the door

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Had USF gone about this in a smart way, they would have let him resign (which was probably the purpose of the meeting they held before the firing) and offered a reasonable severance to do so.  He could have saved face, and all would be good in USF land.   In 10 years, they would all be friends and he would be able to step foot on the campus and be recognized, and maybe get something named after him, for building up a program from scratch.  Instead, I don't think there willl ever even be a plaque named after him.

I do not blame Leavitt for doing what he has to from hinm and his family.   And at this point, it does not llook like they did proper due diligence.  It looks like they took the stories that suited their case and use d them, and not hte entire picture.  Leavitt will get a good settlement, and move on in his life and do well at his next stopping point. 

if he hit the kid

Not saying he did or didn't.  Or that they didn't have to take action.  Only that there were conflicting stories, enough to offer a "reasonable doubt" if this were a criminal court case.  Also that if they did not follow the terms of a contract in his firing, and chose to proceed in their own manner, they will be in breach of hte contract and will be rightfully sued and Leavitt will win on that.  How much is yet to be seen, but certainly he is entitlted to something if they did not follow the letter of the contract they provided to him.  If they did not follow protocol, they better just put a sum out there and settle now.  I think Leavitt is going to ask for a public apology too, and doubtful USF would grant that. 

if he hit the kid

Not saying he did or didn't.  Or that they didn't have to take action.  Only that there were conflicting stories, enough to offer a "reasonable doubt" if this were a criminal court case.  Also that if they did not follow the terms of a contract in his firing, and chose to proceed in their own manner, they will be in breach of hte contract and will be rightfully sued and Leavitt will win on that.  How much is yet to be seen, but certainly he is entitlted to something if they did not follow the letter of the contract they provided to him.  If they did not follow protocol, they better just put a sum out there and settle now.  I think Leavitt is going to ask for a public apology too, and doubtful USF would grant that. 

hahahaha

leavitt wants $$$$$$$$$$  not an apology

leavitt should thank his lucky stars he isnt be criminally prosecuted

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Had USF gone about this in a smart way, they would have let him resign (which was probably the purpose of the meeting they held before the firing) and offered a reasonable severance to do so. 

Had USF been very lucky, Leavitt would have resigned.  It doesn't sound like there is any remote possibility they could have convinced him to resign.

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Who started the football program at_______________________________?

Fill in the blank.

I know there will be a few names, but I would think very few.

Archived