• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One and done in the NIT..how do you feel?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'll curious to read everybody's thoughts on the season, the way it ended, and what needs to happen between now and next season to hopefully avoid this next time.

Great season overall based on the improvement from last season.

Tough way to end the season like that.

In order to avoid this next season we need; 1) DoJo to stay, 2) find someone who can shoot fromoutside with consistency, 3) teach Gus that there is a defensive end of the floor (he was a freaking horror show tonight defensively), 4) have contributions from Ron Anderson, and 5) Crater start to score a bit. He is a very good defender, but he'll have to keep opposing teams honest.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

I'm disappointed....i know no one expected us to be in the NIT this year....but once we went on that 4 game win streak i couldnt help but feel like this team might be something special.....then jones head gets big.....gilchrist comes back and *****......so many things.....

just a very disappointing end to a good season.....and im not very optimistic bout next season.....if howard was coming back i would be.....but i just dont see jones as a leader....and he might not even be back anyway....

just felt like football season all over again....and so goes USF sports

• Content Count:  151

Chris Howard blows....Gilchrist should not be on the floor. I'm pissed....We blow donkey **** at the end just like football. That's why I peed on my degree over a year ago. Im done with USF sports for awhile until our showdown in the swamp. All USF sports are way to stressful to watch.

• Content Count:  4,016

at least Fitzpatrick played defense and rebounded.  Famous did neither.  If I watched his sorry arse allow another guy that gives up 4+ inches to him back him down in the low post and then take it up on him and get points I was going to throw up.  Did you see how Fitz defended Smith and got him fouled out with 2minutes left.  Famous refuses to play defense and rebound like that.  He was the tallest guy on the court and countless times was not ready for the second chance rebounds, never bothered or challenged their interior guys moving them from the post.  He's soft as butter that's been left on the counter all day.  At least Gilchrist goes after the blocks, and rebounds.  Famous' blocking numbers are pathetic for a 6-11/7fter.

We lost tonight because we didn't alter anything NCST wanted to do on offense.  They moved the ball in constantly to Smith and Famous got worked by him and allowed him time to get the ball where he wanted, settle for the shot or pass, and then out rebound him on misses.

Famous does not give me hope for next year especially if DJ departs.  We'll struggle inside and out to get rebounds and points.  If Famous doesn't get better on defense, blocking shots, and rebounds then watch him sit for Fitz and Anderson who at least want to rebound and play defense.  We'll be forced to give up more scoring for at least better defense, and rebounding which will only make matters worse.

Aside from trying to get lucky in recruiting in the late signing period, our only other chance for a strong 10-11 season would be if Famous grew some balls, and decided to play real defense and want to go after the rebound.  Although the rumor is he doesn't like doing either.  

• Content Count:  425

I feel disappointed for these reasons:

1. The number of fans that showed up was disappointing (but the small crowd was loud at times).

2. Big East didn't represent in Tampa

3. DoJo didn't hit free throws and didn't drive to the bucket on the last play (he would have been fouled or made the layup)

4. Looks like we have attitude problems on the team (a lot of arguing and being out of sync)

5. Sorry to see Mercer and Howard go out like that

Hope Jones comes back and we get some outside shooting in the off season.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Jones is leaving.  No reason for him to come back to this team.  We have gotten better but we still arent a tournament team with or without him, so why should he stay? This isnt the 80s none of this kids care about the team, not even the guys on Duke.  He will be selfish and get the cash.  He is still up high on draft boards and I know some of you feel he isnt good enough, but ill take the NBA talent experts opinions over yours and Im sure so will he.  

• Content Count:  2,478

Jones is leaving.  No reason for him to come back to this team.  We have gotten better but we still arent a tournament team with or without him, so why should he stay? This isnt the 80s none of this kids care about the team, not even the guys on Duke.  He will be selfish and get the cash.  He is still up high on draft boards and I know some of you feel he isnt good enough, but ill take the NBA talent experts opinions over yours and Im sure so will he.  

I wouldn't be so sure, NBA draft is 2 rounds, and 2nd round is not guaranteed a contract. He is in no way a 1st round pick at the moment, MAYBE a late 2nd rounder. Too big of a risk to leave school and enter the draft next season. If he can work on his jumpshot than his stock will def increase.

• Content Count:  1,027

At the start of the season, I felt that a successful season would have us wearing the home-whites in the BigEast Tourney and the NIT (or better).  Thus, I am satisfied.

Still disappoionted I won't be going to Birmingham this weekend as my schedule has been fortuitously cleared for a potential trip.  I guess I can technically still go to B'ham...

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I would love to see USF invest the $15-$20K it would take to send Fitzpatrick, Famous, and Gilchrist to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp over the summer. (Newell has passed on but he made the camp his legacy, and even without him there I would guess it's as good as it ever was.) They all need a lot of work near the basket, and certainly one of them would improve enough that it would make the investment worth it.

• Content Count:  3,084

I would love to see USF invest the $15-$20K it would take to send Fitzpatrick, Famous, and Gilchrist to the Pete Newell Big Man Camp over the summer. (Newell has passed on but he made the camp his legacy, and even without him there I would guess it's as good as it ever was.) They all need a lot of work near the basket, and certainly one of them would improve enough that it would make the investment worth it.

Ive never heard of that camp but Ill take your word it is pretty prominent but doesnt USF pay Stan Heath enough to be able to develop his big guys in the Stan Heath Big Man Camp?

Archived