• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCCAT dream is just that now...a dream

Vega

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

The lack of intensity and a major problem that has bugged this team since the start of the season really got exposed today against St John.

The interior defense has been an issue for this team despite having a 6-11 guy who's pretty athletic.

I have said before no matter what Famous does on offense he gives up more points on the defensive end.

As a guy who follows recruiting Stan should really consider bringing in a defensive center to improve a major weakness that Big East coaches have been exposing more and more. Famous is a soft player with little understanding of how to play defense or willing to learn how to.

Guys 6-6 to 6-8 should not be scoring at the rim with ease against a near 7ft center back there or should little guards drive the paint with confidence to finish at the rim.

Uconn does a great job of signing shot blockers to strengthen the backside and help defenses. Those guys are not highly rated so we can get one or two ourselves if Heath chooses to do so. We had a great defender here two years ago when Heath signed Ajayi. He would impact our team alot more then Famous because he could flat out stop his man and help out the guards on dribble drives.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

It would have been nice to make the Big Dance, but I can only imagine that with play like today, we might have gotten embarrassed even worse in the first round. 

I'll look forward to us hopefully getting into the NIT and maybe going pretty far. 

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

So if we beat Villanova there's NO chance of us making the dance?  No way to recoup in the BE tourney?  I'm not giving up hope yet...did that in the Providence OT win, and I regretted it then.  Despite us looking like a junior high team today, if we can find a way to spark the chemistry with Gus out there, it's possible that we can hit our stride again and pull off the big upsets like we've done before.  Likely?...no; but it's not necessarily a dream just yet.  Re-post this if we lose to Nova.

It would have been nice to make the Big Dance, but I can only imagine that with play like today, we might have gotten embarrassed even worse in the first round. 

I'll look forward to us hopefully getting into the NIT and maybe going pretty far. 

You don't think we can get embarrassed in the NIT? Remember in the NIT we are not going to get a home game. We will probably travel to Arkansas or play a Mid Major who is pissed to get lefted out of the NCAAT. I wouldn't like our chances in either contest which is one of the reasons why I dread the NIT.

So if we beat Villanova there's NO chance of us making the dance?  No way to recoup in the BE tourney?   I'm not giving up hope yet...did that in the Providence OT win, and I regretted it then.  Despite us looking like a junior high team today, if we can find a way to spark the chemistry with Gus out there, it's possible that we can hit our stride again and pull off the big upsets like we've done before.  Likely?...no; but it's not necessarily a dream just yet.  Re-post this if we lose to Nova.

I put it to you like this, between now and that Nova game we better improve our interior defense or you will really see us get attacked in the paint. Right now the choice is easy to make the Big Dance we have to run the table and win a game in the BET.

• Content Count:  6,348

I'm happy to be even talking about post season play right now.

We probably have no realistic shot at the NCAA.

Honestly, we may be better off going into the NIT and winning a few games rather than go into the tourney and have to play as lower seed and get blown out in the first round.

I'm happy to be even talking about post season play right now.

We probably have no realistic shot at the NCAA.

Honestly, we may be better off going into the NIT and winning a few games rather than go into the tourney and have to play as lower seed and get blown out in the first round.

Well I will ask you the same question I ask others who say the same thing you have. What makes you think USF will win a few games in the NIT? We won't get a home game and the NIT will be loaded this season.

If I knew we were going to play at home then I would feel better about our chances but with USF's attendance there is not much of a chance of them getting a home game which points to being 1 and done in the NIT. :(

• Content Count:  1,079

Very dissapointing and poor effort today...Famous and Gus were so soft and played so small out there today.  It was pathetic for them to play that way on both ends in a game that meant so much.

• Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Vega,

You were right STJ took it to us and we were flat.  Ithought Gus would have a good game and we would jump on them early.  Boy was I wrong.  So kudos to you even though I'm sur eyou would rather have been wron and USF win the game.  I do not agree with you that BJ Ajai was a better alternative then Famous.  You have to have some inside presense on offense and he had none.  Famous at least shows up 3 out of four games and this was his off game.  I still like his game more then you do but that is opinion.  You are also dead spot on with regards to NIT we may not get a home game until maybe the third round and thats a big if becasue in the NIT you can lose easy in first round too.  I'm still hoding out hope but the NCAA's are way in the distance.  But we can get right back in with a Win at Nova

• Content Count:  6,348

Vega, we don't know...as the cliche goes, that's why we play the games. What I am saying is that we as things pan out, we are very much proving ourselves to be a lower seed team if we would even deserve to be that. Although obviously speculative, we would probably go in as a 15 or 16 or somewhere thereabout. Let's not get carried away and think just because we beat a highly ranked Georgetown in regular season that we are going to win against a 1 or 2 seed that is geared up for post season play. Based on our body of work this year our chances of winning a few post season games are better on the NIT.

I would love to see us go to the NCAA tourneament. However, I am a believer in the concept of building a strong foundation first on a step by step basis. In the long run, it may be better for this particular group of player's first post season appearance to be an NIT bid where they have a better chance to win a couple of games and give them a taste of post season play and get the experience.

If our overall body of work was better, in other words winning a few of the SC, Notre Dame, Marquette, Central Michigan games I may think otherwise. When we had the BE streak it was still a matter of sneaking up on a couple of teams. We have not played that well once we started to get the noteriety from that streak. We are not sneaking up on anyone any longer

All I am saying is that our chances to win a couple of games is better in the NIT than as a lower seeded NCAA team. I think that gives this team something to build on for the next step in their development rather than being a flash in the pan, one and done team.

Archived