• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One Whole Recruiting Class Lost!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,266
  • Days Won:  0

yeah and HS coaches never lie. ::) 

Please, there's still question whether the kid had a UF offer, let alone his ability to play QB.  UF has 26 commits and are waiting on 4 four and five star studs...

next some of you delusional fellows will tell us we stole him from UF.

The fact is he had some UF interest as an athlete.  An insider at UF has made it very clear they considered him as a TE nothing more. 

A nice pick-up of a jumbo athlete that can probably fill-in at a number of positions and be successful, but don't make him into a true blue QB.  There were delusional folks on this board a year ago crowning Isaac Virgin too as the next Culpepper. ::)  He'll start his career behind center but I'd bet he never finishes his USF career there.

i quote a reliable source and you quote nothing...i know what to believe...whose delusional?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Please, there's still question whether the kid had a UF offer, let alone his ability to play QB.  UF has 26 commits and are waiting on 4 four and five star studs...

The fact is he had some UF interest as an athlete.  An insider at UF has made it very clear they considered him as a TE nothing more. 

A nice pick-up of a jumbo athlete that can probably fill-in at a number of positions and be successful, but don't make him into a true blue QB.  There were delusional folks on this board a year ago crowning Isaac Virgin too as the next Culpepper. ::)  He'll start his career behind center but I'd bet he never finishes his USF career there.

i quote a reliable source and you quote nothing...i know what to believe...whose delusional?

Hey he quoted "an insider" as opposed to an outsider? >:D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,631
  • Days Won:  424

23 players that didn't make is a lot.

23 players over a 5 year period... What's the norm for middle of the road BCS schools? What are you basing that assessment on?

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Gunsby coach said the Florida was recruiting him as a QB.

• Content Count:  1

LoL. The Experts chime in!

You recruit the best players available, grades and character are secondary. Its not PC or ethical, but sad and true.

Sometime when you recruit the best players available, the teams have to take the risk of the kids not making it on campus.

Last year we oversigned knowing some of these guys wouldn't make it on campus and that some would come in later through juco or prep academies.

Bingo is his name O'!

This is not an easy game called recruiting.  Bellamy, Carnes...not academic casualties but caught in a numbers game.

so why not take a risk on the local kids that play darn good football

• Content Count:  24

i am hoping skip doesnt take risks like bullrider says....23 is a lot for sure. way to many

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i must say.... UF could recruit MUCH better talent at QB than Gunsby

i must say.... UF could recruit MUCH better talent at QB than Gunsby

Yeah, those grapes were sour anyway. Maybe we'll lower his ranking to 2 stars now.

We should be beyond taking risk. Coach Leavitt excuse was that we didn't have depth. He should have recruited less risky players.

Says who? All of us USF Fans? USF is still considered second tier by most high school coaches and players. Majority of the time, USF is going to lose out when they go head to head with FSU, UF and UM for a kid. Has there been kids that choose USF over the big 3? Yes (Giddins and TRex) but they are the exceptions, not the rule. USF is not there yet, or at leadt they are not where the fanbase thinks they are/should be.

Coach Leavitt excuse was that we didn't have depth. He should have recruited less risky players.

You have to take risks with with some kids because of their talent. Would it be nice if all "less risky" were the 4 and 5 star guys? Yes, but that is not the case. And picking the less risky kids usually means they are the less talented and if USF is to get to where this fanbase thinks they are/should be, taking the less risky kid is not an option.

Of your entire post the one piece you typed rings true and is the basis of this thread "...where this fanbase thinks they are/should be...."   Boy is that a truer statement...we have five straight bowl seasons, four straight seasons with 8+ wins, and it's not enough.  Now we were 'wasting' scholarships.  Like darn Leavitt was an idiot and now Skip is pure genius.  Well the genius has made missteps in recruiting his first month too.  There is no exact science to this game, and despite where the fanbase 'thinks we are', we're still a second rate University in a second rate BCS football conference that will continue to have trouble doing better at recruiting and to get ahead we have to take risks.  Mardy Gilyard at UC was ineligible as a soph from Cinci because of academics, risks, risks, risks...this is a high risk/high reward game at our level of program.  No other way to cut it.  You've got to take big risks.

Sorry Chump, I didn't go to a "second rate University". I STILL love the old girl. Maybe you should go back to your pay site. What are you  a Seminole??

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Gents,

Please behave civilly.

Thank you.

Archived