• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Juco lineman Green not part of USF's plans

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

A quote from reply #14, BullsPride

"I am not worried about penalties, there is no correlation between winning and lower penalties"

Greg Auman did a feature before on how there isn't much of a correlation.  Teams that win a lot many times commit a lot of penalties, and teams that don't commit them don't necessarily win.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

"I am not worried about penalties, there is no correlation between winning and lower penalties"

Greg Auman did a feature before on how there isn't much of a correlation.  Teams that win a lot many times commit a lot of penalties, and teams that don't commit them don't necessarily win.

im willing to bet football coaches would disagree

im willing to bet football coaches would disagree

Individual penalties have an effect on the outcome of a game, of course, but overall teams don't always win more just because they commit fewer penalties.  Coaches can disagree all they want but those are the facts.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Well the 10 "most Penalized teams in 2009" were Arizona State(4-8), Texas Tech(9-4), Colorado(3-9), FAU(5-7),OK(8-5), Troy(9-4), Toledo(5-7), GA(8-5), Baylor(4-8) and Southern Miss(7-6).

Question: Is this the list you want to be on??? USF made this list 4 out of the last 5 years. Even the teams which had winning records fell well below their usual standards(GA, CO) There is only one ranked team out of the lot (TT which I find reall suspect, anyway). I want to be in the Top Ten and I really believe you can't make this many mistakes and pull it off.

Penn State in that time period was 4th, 3rd, 4th, 10th and 6th. They may not always have the best team on the field, but they are well coached and disciplined and they win a lot of games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

And one more thing that might give you a hint. Your numbers are different from Bullpride,

My numbers should have been different from BP's .... We were puliing from two different charts. I was pulling from the charts you should have been pulling from based on your post with the chart on it.

who started this whole mess, as well.

No, you started this whole mess with this erroneous statment:

Maybe with smarter kids AND coaches we can move up from our prestigious position in penalties. USF 118th out of 119 Div1 schools

God, you are pedantic. Fewest yards penalized or penalty yards means No. 1 is the  best and and No. 118 is next to last. If you can't figure that out from the chart, I can't help you. My chart demonstrated that USF has been near the bottom in these rankings for a long time. The chart wouldn't make sense if I said USF is no. 2 in penalty yards and that isn't what your corrected chart says anyway. The way I presented it is the only one that is rational. I even went so far as to publish the values supporting that ranking. You still haven't figured out why your  numbers are different though, now have you, oh one who wasn't going to respond again.

LOL ..... I have no freaking clue what you're ranting about there but let me just go ahead and explain what i was talking about. In your posted chart, you stated that the rankings you listed were for Div 1 teams in yards penalized. That was totally incorrect. The rankings in the chart you listed were for Div 1 teams in penalties per game. Those are two complete different sets of rankings. Did it affect your two's argument? Not really, and I pointed that out. You were right that ECU hadn't been higher than USF the whole last 5 years but BullPride was also correct in his assessment that the teams of Holtz's players were not traditionally ranked high in the penalty department ... Seriously, you're really an engineer?

No, I am not an engineer, I am a Retired Engineer. At age 54 after selling my 3 businesses.

And PSU in that last 5 year time frame, ranked 9th, 8th, 27th, 24th and 3rd in the country. You can quote all you want, but disciplined teams that make fewer mistakes, win more football games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

Over the last 5 years, the 10 teams with the least amount of penalties per game in a given year were 362-267. Over the same 5 years, the 10 teams with the most penalties per game in a given year were 368-260. Can a penalty here or there cost a team a game? Absolutely, nobody said it couldn't .... but in the overall scheme of things there is no correlation, that I've seen, between the amount of penalities per game and winning or losing.

Over the last 5 years, the 10 teams with the least amount of penalties per game in a given year were 362-267. Over the same 5 years, the 10 teams with the most penalties per game in a given year were 368-260. Can a penalty here or there cost a team a game? Absolutely, nobody said it couldn't .... but in the overall scheme of things there is no correlation, that I've seen, between the amount of penalities per game and winning or losing.

Well you can root for the team to get more penalties and I will root for them to get less. You will cheer when they get a 15 yarder and I will not. I will hope my team get's fewer penalties and I guess you won't care. I think my plan sounds a little more rational, but I respect your right to think what you wish. Cheers, and what do you do for a living?

Oh, do you have a source on this?

Good stats.  He won't change his mind no matter what we say, though.  Greg's article had tons of examples of teams that did well in the top 10 of penalties committed, including some national championship winners.  There are logical reasons for why there is no correlation, but he's not going to listen to it.

Archived