• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Juco lineman Green not part of USF's plans

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

February 01, 2010

Juco lineman Green not part of USF's plans

Junior college offensive lineman Justin Green, who had been considered a USF commitment under coach Jim Leavitt, has been told he is not in USF's plans under new coach Skip Holtz, his junior college coach said.

"The South Florida deal is different with the coaching change," said Rion Rhoades, head coach at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas, who said his offensive line coach was notified by USF of the change in plans. "He's not going to sign with anyone on signing day."

Green has been hopeful of completing his associate of arts degree in time to enroll for the fall semester at a four-year school, but Rhoades said he has "work to do" to complete his degree as scheduled. Green has been linked to USF since 2008, when he committed to the Bulls but was not accepted by the school's academic committee, which reviews incoming recruits.

Holtz has cut ties with several USF recruits who previously tried to enroll with the Bulls, but failed to qualify academically. Former signee Josh Bellamy had a chance to sign with USF, but the school warned him not to take visits elsewhere; he's now expected to sign with Louisville. Former FSU tackle Daron Rose, who intended to sign with USF out of junior college, had not heard from USF coaches and will now choose between New Mexico and Division II North Alabama.

Green remains listed as a USF commitment on both major recruiting sites, which rated him as a three-star recruit, so the Bulls' class will drop slightly in the national rankings once he's removed from their lists.

Posted by Greg Auman at 01:20:10 PM on February 1, 2010 in Football , Recruiting | Permalink | Comments (16)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/02/juco-lineman-green-not-part-of-usfs-plans.html

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  578
  • Days Won:  0

This is good news for the future of the program, IMO. Holtz clearly wants kids who will put the work in, in the classroom to get their grades and scores up to par. The first reaction is "we lost another" but as Greg said, there is no guarantee these guys will even be accepted by the Fall. Good for the staff to cut ties now and move on.

• Content Count:  720

I think we're going to start seeing a team with a higher football IQ now with Holtz here.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

That could open up a scholarship for that Florida OL who is currently an ECU verbal, but wants to come here. So far, we haven't taken any of his ECU verbals.

• Content Count:  4,016

I think we're going to start seeing a team with a higher football IQ now with Holtz here.

that's fine as long as they bring athleticism to match.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Maybe with smarter kids AND coaches we can move up from our prestigious position in penalties. USF 118th out of 119 Div1 schools

• Content Count:  720

This is true but, like Coach Smith was quoted somewhere he said give me a kid that runs a 4.6 but knows his assignment and you can keep your 4.4 guy who doesn't even know what direction to run.

• Content Count:  4,016

This is true but, like Coach Smith was quoted somewhere he said give me a kid that runs a 4.6 but knows his assignment and you can keep your 4.4 guy who doesn't even know what direction to run.

I'll give you your 4.6, and take a kid with 4.4, and beat you every time.  Don't over-exaggerate the prospects.  Holtz still is going to bring in the athletes necessary to win, but absent of that he'll get high IQ guys.

I don't where some of you all get some of your BS.  Billreef where are you getting 118 of 119 in penalties.  Stop pulling stuff out of your butt.  Last season USF was 90 out of 119 in penalties per game.  Skip Holtz's ECU team was 95 out o119.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IA&rpt=IA_teampenalties&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

USF was better than Holtz's team in penalties per game, and overall penalties.

So that theory is horse dung...and it carries back the last five years.  Holtz's teams are not low penalty teams.  Not traditionally.

• Content Count:  5,241

This isnt about getting "Football IQ" or Smart kids in general to play football.

He's cutting down on giving scholarships to people with 2 years of eligibility and giving it to people who can give him 4.

Granted, he will still take talented Juco players (EX: Hayes the RB, who runs a 4.35)

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I'll give you your 4.6, and take a kid with 4.4, and beat you every time.  Don't over-exaggerate the prospects.  Holtz still is going to bring in the athletes necessary to win, but absent of that he'll get high IQ guys.

I don't where some of you all get some of your BS.  Billreef where are you getting 118 of 119 in penalties.  Stop pulling stuff out of your butt.  Last season USF was 90 out of 119 in penalties per game.  Skip Holtz's ECU team was 95 out o119.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IA&rpt=IA_teampenalties&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

USF was better than Holtz's team in penalties per game, and overall penalties.

So that theory is horse dung...and it carries back the last five years.  Holtz's teams are not low penalty teams.  Not traditionally.

Quoted 2007 stat which was the first one I found in my ass. You see they get all mixed up in there.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teampenalties&site=org

How do they fare in a Horse's Ass?

Archived