• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SI: Grading the New Coaching Hires...USF A-

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  132
  • Days Won:  0

USF (Skip Holtz, East Carolina head coach). A-

It's puzzling why Holtz didn't land a major-conference gig sooner. He took over a program that went 3-22 prior to his arrival and wound up winning consecutive Conference USA titles while beating non-conference teams like West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Boise State. The lone red flag: The last time he worked at a BCS-conference school (South Carolina), he got demoted.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/stewart_mandel/01/19/coaching.reportcard/index.html?eref=sihp

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

Hope he gets an "A" at season's end !

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Would like him to factor in the assistants.  I think we move up from A- to A with that in consideration.

I agree with USC at a D rating.  Kiffin was a mistake.

• Content Count:  684

Lets hope this A rating becomes true in the 2010 football season by USF winning conference games.

• Content Count:  132

If you look at the second page of the article, under the picture caption it says this...

Former West Virginia and USF assistant Doc Holliday will use his Florida recruiting ties to upgrade the talent at Marshall.

... it then goes on to say this in the articel itself...

The longtime West Virginia assistant and South Florida recruiting titan could turn the Thundering Herd back into a player for the first time since Byron Leftwich left.

I've followed USF football since its inception, I've never heard of this guy on our staff.

• Content Count:  162

Would like him to factor in the assistants.  I think we move up from A- to A with that in consideration.

I agree with USC at a D rating.   Kiffin was a mistake.

If you want to factor in assistants you cannot possibly give USC a D rating

• Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

If you look at the second page of the article, under the picture caption it says this...

Former West Virginia and USF assistant Doc Holliday will use his Florida recruiting ties to upgrade the talent at Marshall.

The longtime West Virginia assistant and South Florida recruiting titan could turn the Thundering Herd back into a player for the first time since Byron Leftwich left.

I've followed USF football since its inception, I've never heard of this guy on our staff.

Agree, don't remember him.

• Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

I think they are refering to the fact he recruits in Southern Florida.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I remember him.  He also was in that movie "Young Guns" I think.   :D

• Content Count:  1,204

That would be because he was never here.  He was at UF before going to WVU.  He went to WVU largely because he's from WV and graduated from WVU.  He was recruiting coordinator for the Gators for three years, brought in when Urban Meyer got there.

Mandel clearly wasn't doing his homework.

Archived