• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Punishment for release of player names

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Not really.  Participating in the interviews for the players was supposedly voluntary.  The question is what did USF tell them about this information?  If they said it would be secret then there could be some trouble, but my bet is they let them know it would be public.  No one is underage, so no big deal.  Maybe a player could claim he was put in a bad position on campus due to his name being publicized, but he also said what he said.  I'd bet most of those that aren't graduating that bad mouthed Leavitt will be gone next year because enough players on the team will know who they are.  

As a public school, USF has no choice but to release their names.  They might be able to be sued if they failed to disclose this.

"All interviewees were advised of the following:

1) Who we were (each interviewee was provided with a business card of the reviewers);

2) Why they were there, including an acknowledgement that they were not there on a

voluntary basis but had been called on by the University with a duty to participate and

to be truthful and forthright."

Page 4 of the report

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If they had to release them, why even bother trying to black them out?

Some one in Athletics does not know about Sunshine laws... I work at USF and everything (minus ss numbers and financial information) has to be kept around so it can be given to the public if anyone asks.

If you receive State Money (E&G Funds) then you have to disclose what ever the public wants to hear or see.

http://www.myflsunshine.com/

• Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

it doesn't matter if you're black or white.... at the end of the day your still a Bull

• Content Count:  1,757

Where did you find the names of the players who were interviewed and what they reported?

ya this.

also, do not disclose the names of the players should you have the knowledge. obviously, most of us can figure out who is who in the report.   just a heads up bc bannination and possible legal trouble will surely follow if you make their names public

You cannot be sued or in trouble for releasing info CLEARLY released in the report.  I think USF amd McMurphy storing these documents electronically for all to see with the names included might face suit, but not another individual for posting these names (read from their public websites).  Copy/paste is by NO means an out of line / hacking / or excessive means to find the names from their PUBLIC release.

• Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

The names were obtained when someone copy and pasted the .pdf document into a word document. Apparently USF did a shoddy job of covering up their names in Appendix A. I printed the list because I knew that it would be quickly removed. Not trying to make any more out of this than it is, but there appears to be a pretty big racial divide on our team. That may explain why we don't seem to respond well to adversity after we experience a loss. We need more cohesion.

• Content Count:  1,204

"All interviewees were advised of the following:

1) Who we were (each interviewee was provided with a business card of the reviewers);

2) Why they were there, including an acknowledgement that they were not there on a

voluntary basis but had been called on by the University with a duty to participate and

to be truthful and forthright."

Page 4 of the report

Stand corrected.  I skimmed over the first couple of pages.

Under Florida Sunshine Laws USF has to release the names of the students that told on Leavitt or they will face a law suit for violating the afore mentioned law.

If they had to release them, why even bother trying to black them out?

Some one in Athletics does not know about Sunshine laws... I work at USF and everything (minus ss numbers and financial information) has to be kept around so it can be given to the public if anyone asks.

If you receive State Money (E&G Funds) then you have to disclose what ever the public wants to hear or see.

http://www.myflsunshine.com/

Federal law (FERPA) supercedes state law on this. USF has to keep the students' names private.

However, if we read the report and deduce on our own who the students are - we can not be legally accountable for that. For example, reading the report is easy to see which of the students is Joel Miller or Colby Erskin. But USF actually has to keep the names private, by Federal law.

http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

it doesn't matter if you're black or white.... at the end of the day your still a Bull

We're Green & Gold !

• Content Count:  3,084

does USF do everything half ass? After this and hearing our VP of COMMUNICATIONS communicate Im losing a lot of faith in my degree at USF.  :-\

• Content Count:  7,693

Federal law (FERPA) supercedes state law on this.  USF has to keep the students' names private.

Not true... the Federal Government's FERPA law has no jurisdiction to supersede any state law, that would be unconstitutional per the 10th Amendment.

The Sunshine Law is a right guaranteed to Florida because it is not otherwise reserved to the Federal Government.

Archived