• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The "tool" at the Times has called for a witchhunt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

That's right, Gary Shelton.  The guy who didn't cover the Bulls even a little bit for the first 7 or 8 years of our existance.  The guy who only acknoledged us after we beat a couple ranked teams and got some votes in the polls 4 - 5 years ago. 

More or less, he suggests USF stop everything and go on a witchhunt now to prove Leavitt didn't do anything.  Also that all recruits parents be on alert. 

Thanks SHelton.  I think we preferred it when you didn't think we existed as you are an old pompous windbag and have been forever.  I know you want to one-up ole Brett and Fennelly on their stories, but seriously stfu.  Go back to whatever sport it is that you think you know about and care about.  Not sure what that is, but the Bucs probably need you to write something more enlightening than that article you did on Monday about Raheem (hint, the bucs are roughly $75M under cap, may want to write another article about the glazers instead of blaming Raheem).

for those who may be interested, here is the xxxxxxxx's article.  http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/transparency-must-be-the-goal-for-jim-leavitt-and-usf-bulls/1059097  This is how it starts  "Jim Leavitt is on trial. So, too, is his reputation, and his program, and his university. "  and my favorite "the damage has been done. A lot of people are always going to believe the allegations more than the explanations. "    The damage is done thanks to people like you Gary. 

Seriously Gary, go away we were better off without you.

• Content Count:  228
  • Days Won:  0

I guess Shelton actually put down the doughnuts long enough to write a story. Fat Dude needs to lose like 100 lbs at least

I say let the "independent outside" investigation take place as it does, but don't eff with the coaches right now.

This is prime recruiting time, which is what Brett wanted, and it distrcts from preparation from the bowl game. 

The coaches need to focus and keep the interviews and whatnot to off hours and keep it out of the locker room and practices. 

Brett is getting exactly what he wanted, and that is BS.  Now the other media outlets will ride the wave, because that is what they do. 

• Content Count:  5,241

Someone tell these reporters: There is an ongoing investigation!

Because you're afraid of a libel suit, quit pressuring for an investigation thats already happening or write something new.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Someone tell these reporters: There is an ongoing investigation!

Because you're afraid of a libel suit, quit pressuring for an investigation thats already happening or write something new.

This.

I actually agree with his article, but, it's kind of false in that it leads readers to believe that USF is sweeping this under the rug and dragging their feet.

Within hours of the story breaking, the USF communications people had issued a statement saying that there would be an investigation. It's done, USF acted immediately.

Also, it acts like this is the first controversy in our athletics dept. Did they forget the whole racial allegations with our women's hoops team?

I am confident that Genshaft will get to the bottom of this and the appropriate action will be taken if warranted.

I'd put Lee Roy in charge of the investigation.  Everyone likes him, plus he is not a wuss so he wouldn't cave to those who do not understand football.

They will probably instead put the head of the History program or some liberal artsy person in charge.  They will start from a frame of refrence that "football is too brutal of a sport to begin with" and then work their way backwards. 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Brett is getting exactly what he wanted, and that is BS.  Now the other media outlets will ride the wave, because that is what they do. 

You hit the nail on the head right there.

• Content Count:  1,985

I heard Shelton on 970 this morning.  He was just saying the school should find the truth.  He feels they need to take it seriously enough to investigate it and determine what happened.  If it did happen there should be a ton of witnesses.  If it did not happen, or is not an acurate account, then that too shall come out.

He did say too that he thinks Woolard and Leavitt are handling all the the McMurphy crap wrong.  He thinks it is adding credibility that the AD will not address the charges of a "mid level report for an internet sports source" or close to that.  Of course it helps Shelton too if Woolard gets into a Jerry Springer slap down..

I heard Shelton on 970 this morning.  He was just saying the school should find the truth.  He feels they need to take it seriously enough to investigate it and determine what happened.  If it did happen there should be a ton of witnesses.  If it did not happen, or is not an acurate account, then that too shall come out.

He did say too that he thinks Woolard and Leavitt are handling all the the McMurphy crap wrong.  He thinks it is adding credibility that the AD will not address the charges of a "mid level report for an internet sports source" or close to that.   Of course it helps Shelton too if Woolard gets into a Jerry Springer slap down..

USF announced they were investigating yesterday.  Him saying they should investigate, is like me saying McDonalds should offer french fries.  Already happening, nothing new to add there.  He is just jumping on the proverbial bandwagon, as they all do if they don't "break" the story.

And surprise, a media guy defending another media guy, wow I would not have guessed that would happen.  Of course SHelton is asking for them to air out the case to the judge and jury (ie the Media) so they can convict and crucify him.  Heck, they already have.  He would love full access to the players too, so they can do their own thing.  And to pull the coaches off the recruiting trail so they can cross examine them. 

The program needs to do what it needs to do at this time.  1 - prepare for a bowl.  2 - recruit players.  Let USF do whatever it does in the background with minimal impact to the program. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

The Tribune is equally bad with Henderson's comment...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/dec/16/sp-silence-isnt-best-strategy-for-south-florida-du/sports-colleges-bulls/

Go there and watch the fun.  There was a post on there late last night I thought was so good, I copied it...

Posted by ( Crosschecker ) on 12/16/2009 at 01:20 am.

Hey Joe,

You talk to Brett McMurphy much anymore? What are your thoughts on filing such damaging reports with little evidence outside some unnamed sources?

Would this really fly for anyone else?

Just want to know how serious the both of us should take McMurphy's reportage. Afterall, I believe your employer fired him, correct?

It seems we're all getting high and mighty on what USF ought to do when in fact we have a rogue internet writer out there manufacturing one horribly inaccurate and misleading story about USF after another.

We're still wondering how he has been wrong about 8-9 stories at a minimum but sites like fanhouse.com still give him a platform. We know there is a mechanism to police USF Athletics, is there a mechanism to police rogue internet writers carrying out a vendetta?

Back on track. I am confident USF will investigate. I am not confident of the outcome. I do know that your old comrade will continue this. Like so much in our society, it will probably take "one of his own" to raise the curtain on his act and weed out that bad apple.

Go get 'em Joe.

It has been deleted as have some others there.  I wonder if McMurphy is a hot button issue there still?

So this is what's there now:

Posted by ( Crosschecker ) on 12/16/2009 at 01:20 am.

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

Report Inappropriate Comments

Just below some guy named Victor and this post:

Posted by ( Victor ) on 12/16/2009 at 01:11 am.

Typical "dumb jock" behavior by THE COACH will, no doubt, be covered up by this second rate, wanna-be, institution.

USF can be called a second rate wannabe instituion, but you better not aske about Brett McMurphy?

Wow, this one is still standing:

Posted by ( Curbed_Enthusiasm ) on 12/16/2009 at 08:46 am.

ESPN quoted the Fanhouse story. Fennelly wrote, using the Fanhouse story as a basis. Henderson uses the Fanhouse story as his basis but unlike Fennelly who at least admitted to whom the author of that story is, Henderson does not mention the link or better yet, the fact that the prior relationship with USF could have swayed the story. Mis-stating Leavitt's win lose record in the bad direction in the story could be viewed as biased and trying to give Leavitt less credit than he deserves - he has over 90 wins not 67.

So the essense of this piece is that USF is circling the wagons - ARE YOU NOT DOING THE SAME?

Sounds to me we have ESPN, Fennelly, and Henderson all reporting on a story that has been called into question by the boy's father who is saying that the original author mis-quoted him...the story there could easily be "DOES McMURPHY HAVE AN AX TO GRIND?" If you are pointing the finger at USF, you must at least ask if there were motives behind the Fanhouse piece. Come on...you are journalists, right???

And one more thing - anyone who knows anything about USF knows that the women's basketball scandal, while not good, comes nowhere close to the magnatude of the Men's Basketball scandal involving Marvin Taylor - that brought down the University's President and other officials, not just a bad basketball coach...the women's team was much improved after she left.

I wonder for how long.  Nice to see these in print on the Trib's site and stored here.

Well done to the two writing those responses - I hope you are members here.

Archived