• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So, who on here actually played football in hs or college?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I played HS football and had similiar things happen....it was never skin to skin....no gay pun intended.....however, be a Marine there were far worse things to occur.....however those DI's always did what they did to make a Marine......discipline by pain...it works...

As much as I feel a change may need to occur....never like this and never under these conditions....until USF gets done with its investigation-its pure speculation.....if Levitt is cleared...McTurdBurlger should be buried and not allowed to do this again to anyone

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  153
  • Days Won:  0

I played in HS and the football coach was also the wrestling coach.  He was physical with us, to say the least.  He used to line up across from guys and go one on one with them.  We were in full gear, he was in shorts and a t-shirt.  Punches, elbows, body slams, whatever it came to.  Nothing ever came of it and nobody thought that it was a bad thing.  The fact that my coach was doing something wrong never crossed my mind.  I was kind of proud that our coach was tough, in shape and liked to get in the trenches.  I thought that it made us tougher.  

It is a physical and incredibly violent game...

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I played in HS and the football coach was also the wrestling coach.  He was physical with us, to say the least.  He used to line up across from guys and go one on one with them.  We were in full gear, he was in shorts and a t-shirt.  Punches, elbows, body slams, whatever it came to.  Nothing ever came of it and nobody thought that it was a bad thing.  The fact that my coach was doing something wrong never crossed my mind.  I was kind of proud that our coach was tough, in shape and liked to get in the trenches.  I thought that it made us tougher.  

It is a physical and incredibly violent game...

Unpadded coaches lined up against players daily at practices.  I never even considered it inappropriate.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Played all through out high school and junior high and i saw a ton of player coach contact (Grabbing and shaking, headbutting, slaps to the back of the head, players getting pushed in the back if they weren't hustling to the next station, coaches in no pads hitting with players in pads etc).  But never saw a coach strike a player worse than headbutting a helmeted player.  

Guest Scherdin

I played baseball in HS and college (dappled in football) I had coaches grab me by the arm, jersey, yelled at me, called me names, etc.  Did it bother me? NO!  It's called competion and the desire to win.  I probably deserved it, when you play sports for more then just a complimentary trophy things can happen in the moment.  Society has become so protective of the most minor things

I was never hit or smacked, which is out of realm of sports.  But I have to believe that this incident is being blown out of proportion.  I'm sure JL did grab this kid by the collar of the pads and might have made contact with the kid's face.  Which might have shocked some people (coaches and players) and some one that is not happy about certain decisions (playing time or calls) chose to run their mouth.  Now you have these allegations out there with other factors (whistle blowing protection, player, student and fan retaliation, media attention), damage control is more of the priority who chose to run their mouth to McMurphy is probably wishing they kept their trap shut.  Just like all the talk that was going at Michigan with the extra practices and workouts.  Once other coaches and players started sticking up for Rich Rod, that story was shut down.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

As I mentioned in another thread...I was kicked in the legs by a coach, in high school.  It got my attention.  Many kids and parents are just too sensitive these days and can be played for fools.  To this day I admire and respect that coach as now I understand not just the kick, but everything else he tried to teach us. 

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Played high school baseball and football and a year of DIII football, so had my share of loud and in your face coaches.  As others have said, never once thought it was "inappropriate".  Now never had a coach haul out and hit a player, but definitely grabbing of shoulder pads, facemasks, slaps in the back of the helmet.....had a coach in high school who use to give players a forearm (and dude was huge, so it was a big forearm) to the helmet for a screw up.  Funny thing is that coach was probably the most loved by the players.  For football we're talking about a sport that you can go home with serious injuries or bumps and bruises just from practice.  When you deal with that everyday for however many weeks the season goes on for, a little shirt or facemask pull, or slap in the back of the head is nothing. 

• Content Count:  5

I've played here at USF, and I am currently not the biggest supporter of Leavitt.  However in my 5 years of being here I never saw him slap someone or do anything like what is being said.  Now I have seen the head butt and I have seen him grab players with pads on and forcefully move them around.  But that is nothing I didn't see in little league or High School.  I do not see Jimbo grabbing a player by the neck and slapping him two times in the face.  I just don't see it. I also don't see people sitting around and not knocking him out for doing so.  If he did that there would be a lot more people stepping up and saying something.  Or maybe that cut on his nose that game was not from the headbutt, but rather a fist to his face.

• Content Count:  2,363

In the other thread, someone made the comment that if Leavitt had done what he allegedly did on the street, it would be assault. Using that same logic, if one were to do what they do on a football field on the street, it would be assault. Context has everything to do with this, and that's something that some may not be grasping.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Or maybe that cut on his nose that game was not from the headbutt, but rather a fist to his face.

That'd be a pretty big fist then because he had cuts along his eyebrow as well. If he was punched, then I think you'd have seen plenty of swelling in that area.

Archived