• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who the hell is NIU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I appreciate your points. However, how can anyone honestly say we are pumped to go to Toronto and play NIU. No disrespect is meant, but seriously.

can you tell me where in all of that I said anything about being pumped up for it?

I am simply stating how we can view some of the positives from the situation

What bowl game would you have been pumped up for after this mediocre season>

Becasue the dude from NIU said they will be pumped up, I said we wouldnt be. Then your reply touched on our fans disrespecting this school when we were once at the same level. Figured that was in response to me saying why would we be pumped to play NIU. That is all

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I appreciate your points. However, how can anyone honestly say we are pumped to go to Toronto and play NIU. No disrespect is meant, but seriously.

can you tell me where in all of that I said anything about being pumped up for it?

I am simply stating how we can view some of the positives from the situation

What bowl game would you have been pumped up for after this mediocre season>

Becasue the dude from NIU said they will be pumped up, I said we wouldnt be. Then your reply touched on our fans disrespecting this school when we were once at the same level. Figured that was in response to me saying why would we be pumped to play NIU. That is all

don't get me wrong-- those seasons when we played NIU--- their message board fans were total tools. think UCf with ear muffs

• Content Count:  236
  • Days Won:  0

who knows, maybe usf will still be irrelevant after 100+ years of football like NIU.  they've been to five bowl games just like us, although we did do it in 1/30th the time. 

this NIU HUSKIE fan is proud of those 100+ years of "irrelevance"

i can guarantee that this team and our fanbase will be fired up for the International Bowl.. the question is, will South Florida?

No, no we will not be fired up, at all.   still will be a two touchdown game, if its close.  but who knows, you guys have the potential of beating a consistently under achieving, lower tier big east team; which im sure would be program changing and most likely will launch your 2010 campaign to the front of the pack of the BCS buster non-AQ "powerhouses"

who knows, in 3 or 4 years, you could be as good as say, UCF.  and then you can hang out on their message boards and tell them about being proud of irrelevance. 

best of luck with everything

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Wasn't there a shooting at NIU a few years back?  Some crazy Croatian guy, if I recall...

Not to sound like an A-hole

But was bringing that up necessary?

Its not a football related subject... at all.

And i imagine might be sensitive to NUI fans who might read this.

First off, it's not like I made light of the shooting or poked fun at the dead.  It's true that a crazy guy shot up the school and he was of Eastern European descent.

Second, the title of this thread is "Who the hell is NIU".  I was merely stating that a big news item took place there, that's all.  If the title of the thread was "Who is the hell is NIU's football team and what have they done" then it would be a different story.

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as being too P.C...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Wasn't there a shooting at NIU a few years back?  Some crazy Croatian guy, if I recall...

Not to sound like an A-hole

But was bringing that up necessary?

Its not a football related subject... at all.

And i imagine might be sensitive to NUI fans who might read this.

First off, it's not like I made light of the shooting or poked fun at the dead.  It's true that a crazy guy shot up the school and he was of Eastern European descent.

Second, the title of this thread is "Who the hell is NIU".  I was merely stating that a big news item took place there, that's all.  If the title of the thread was "Who is the hell is NIU's football team and what have they done" then it would be a different story.

Believe it or not, there is such a thing as being too P.C...

I would equate bringing the shootings up as something relevant about their campus to someone answering a similar question posed about USF and saying something about the terrorists etc

in that light, you can see how someone might find that offensive or a bad way to depict an entire campus

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I might be the only one, but I'm kind of excited by this game. No, I won't be traveling to it (work and family prevent that), and no it's not a BCS bowl, but, hey, it's an unexpected bowl (I don't think many actually thought WE'D be going to TORONTO) and it's against a team we've only played twice, and split the series with. It's been a crazy season, so why not? It could be fun.

:ROFLMAO :lmao :lmao :ROFLMAO :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :lmao :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :lmao :lmao

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Well, clearly bulldozier1 thinks you're just being funny.

More established programs understand the bowl system and what it means to programs.. Like so many other things, our newly established fan base is hindered in this regard.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

For those still wondering "Who the hell is NIU?", I have added links to an active NIU message board and their official site.  Bonus material"  Slick on the International Bowl logo and go to the bowl site.  It's up there on the right.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

We should blow NIU out, so that's at least something positive.  Nice to blow someone out in your last game before you start signing recruits.  Every little bit helps in tight recruiting battles. 

the fact that recruits can look forward to a bowl match up against Northern Illinois won't help that battle :/

And if that is what a recruit looks forward to, it's the wrong recruit.  Those aren't the guys we're looking for.  We are looking for the guys that get us higher...you know that..come on.

well yeah you want to be able to say "yes we played NIU, but you are the recruit who can get us to the Sugar Bowl."

problem is... big name recruits have other teams in their ear saying "you want to go to BCS games? come here... play big meaningful games in front of the whole nation.

No kidding.  This is what I try to tell smazza and his ilk...it's not as easy recruiting against those teams as many of Leavitt's detractors claim it to be.  They are there already.  We sell a dream, a plan...

USF has had some NFL recruiting success. Considering that I just read Pitt has only had what, 3 or 4 round 1 picks since '82 and USF has had 1 and Selvie might go and maybe JPP. That is pretty amazing.

Selvie is like a 5th round pick dude. I have a better shot at banging The Sundolls that Selvie has of going in rd 1

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2009/11/12/1143168/thursday-night-nfl-draft-watch   Like the part about Selvie being a favorite of the Vikings. He might go second at the latest.

that article claims that Jerome Murphy is a pro prospect.

Archived