• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF can learn much from FSU and Bobby Bowden

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

USF can learn much from Bobby Bowden's expected retirement announcement from FSU tomorrow.  Although Bobby Bowden established the school's football program almost from the ground up, the athletic director and company realized that even though Bobby Bowden is the face of the program he is not bigger than the program.  The athletic director and all at USF should keep this in mind when Jim Leavitt times comes up. Although he has been around the program since the inception and built the program from the ground up, Jim Leavitt  is not bigger than the program.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4701625

• Content Count:  1,400

big money difference they dont owe Bobby much money and even if they did I dont think that would be an issue. We cant afford to pay two coaching staffs at the same time.

• Content Count:  505

Joe Paterno, what would that lesson be?

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I actually completely disagree with your statement that CJL is not bigger than the program at this point.

Bowden will leave, it will take Fischer some time, he will probably get fired, they will get someone else, and be good again. At no time during the "transition" will they cease to stop getting solid recruits and have legit "BCS talent". There are still kids that grew up dreaming of playing for FSU.

If CJL leaves, USF hires a nobody because we can't afford anyone good. That nobody either turns into a stud...yea for us. or, they turn into a Kragthorpe kind of guy. Difference...we do not get recruits any more, and fade into obscurity. Like it or not, until we either win something, or get a lot of money, CJL IS the program. Maybe not bigger, but equal. IMHO, the program takes 10 steps back if CJL were to be forced out after this season.

I don't think anyone appreciates the kind of sales job it takes to get kids like Giddens, Webster, Griffin, etc. to sign with little ole USF instead of UF, FSU, UM (hell, throw USC in there since Pete Carol came to Tampa to see Giddens). These kids have to believe in the program, and they do believe in it because Jim Leavitt tells them to.

I am not happy about this season, but seriously, after MG went down, 2 new coordinators, Hester's injury...sure, it's easy to get caught up in the fast starts, but we have been lucky with Daniels, he could have folded like a wet napkin under the pressure and we could be sitting at 4-7 or 5-6 right now. No, I am not satisfied with where we are, but "change" just for the sake of change isn't the answer...ever.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I actually completely disagree with your statement that CJL is not bigger than the program at this point.

Bowden will leave, it will take Fischer some time, he will probably get fired, they will get someone else, and be good again. At no time during the "transition" will they cease to stop getting solid recruits and have legit "BCS talent". There are still kids that grew up dreaming of playing for FSU.

If CJL leaves, USF hires a nobody because we can't afford anyone good. That nobody either turns into a stud...yea for us. or, they turn into a Kragthorpe kind of guy. Difference...we do not get recruits any more, and fade into obscurity. Like it or not, until we either win something, or get a lot of money, CJL IS the program. Maybe not bigger, but equal. IMHO, the program takes 10 steps back if CJL were to be forced out after this season.

I don't think anyone appreciates the kind of sales job it takes to get kids like Giddens, Webster, Griffin, etc. to sign with little ole USF instead of UF, FSU, UM (hell, throw USC in there since Pete Carol came to Tampa to see Giddens). These kids have to believe in the program, and they do believe in it because Jim Leavitt tells them to.

I am not happy about this season, but seriously, after MG went down, 2 new coordinators, Hester's injury...sure, it's easy to get caught up in the fast starts, but we have been lucky with Daniels, he could have folded like a wet napkin under the pressure and we could be sitting at 4-7 or 5-6 right now. No, I am not satisfied with where we are, but "change" just for the sake of change isn't the answer...ever.

A question. Do you think that CJL goes to all of the home visits, and does all of the recruting of every kid that comes to USF? Recruiting is done by every coach on the staff. The HC may have the final say, but he isn't involved in every visit for every recruit. 

Plus, if we keep having the October/November collapse it won't matter who is recruting them, they won't want to play for "little ole, October/ November Collapse USF".

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

A question. Do you think that CJL goes to all of the home visits, and does all of the recruting of every kid that comes to USF? Recruiting is done by every coach on the staff. The HC may have the final say, but he isn't involved in every visit for every recruit. 

Plus, if we keep having the October/November collapse it won't matter who is recruting them, they won't want to play for "little ole, October/ November Collapse USF".

CJL may not be the one knocking on the door each visit, but I'll guarantee you he knows what's going on with each of the kids and his family.  It is uncanny how he remembers each one of the them.  If you listen to him at the radio show on signing day, it sounds as if he was the one that recruited each of them.

• Content Count:  4,879

If CJL leaves, USF hires a nobody because we can't afford anyone good. That nobody either turns into a stud...yea for us. or,

its even worse than this without CJL because anybody else that has success here will leave.  CJL won't.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

If CJL leaves, USF hires a nobody because we can't afford anyone good. That nobody either turns into a stud...yea for us. or,

its even worse than this without CJL because anybody else that has success here will leave.  CJL won't.

i will take my chances

i dont think a coach winning the big east will leave so fast as usf will be making a ton of money

it is time for leavitt to be replaced by a real coach that understands an offense and special teams and that can instill discipline and teach fundamentals

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

CJL may not be the one knocking on the door each visit, but I'll guarantee you he knows what's going on with each of the kids and his family. [glow=red,2,300] It is uncanny how he remembers each one of the them.[/glow]  If you listen to him at the radio show on signing day, it sounds as if he was the one that recruited each of them.

well there is another thing that I have noticed about Bowden these past fews years--- he can't remember barely anyones name-- especially in the press conference after the game when he is put on the spot and refers to them by their jersey number only.

no disrespect to the man, but age has caught up to him-- he is simply not the same guy he used to be.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

CJL may not be the one knocking on the door each visit, but I'll guarantee you he knows what's going on with each of the kids and his family. [glow=red,2,300] It is uncanny how he remembers each one of the them.[/glow]  If you listen to him at the radio show on signing day, it sounds as if he was the one that recruited each of them.

well there is another thing that I have noticed about Bowden these past fews years--- he can't remember barely anyones name-- especially in the press conference after the game when he is put on the spot and refers to them by their jersey number only.

no disrespect to the man, but age has caught up to him-- he is simply not the same guy he used to be.

do you realize you are disrespecting him?

Archived