• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF can learn much from FSU and Bobby Bowden

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I actually completely disagree with your statement that CJL is not bigger than the program at this point.

Bowden will leave, it will take Fischer some time, he will probably get fired, they will get someone else, and be good again. At no time during the "transition" will they cease to stop getting solid recruits and have legit "BCS talent". There are still kids that grew up dreaming of playing for FSU.

If CJL leaves, USF hires a nobody because we can't afford anyone good. That nobody either turns into a stud...yea for us. or, they turn into a Kragthorpe kind of guy. Difference...we do not get recruits any more, and fade into obscurity. Like it or not, until we either win something, or get a lot of money, CJL IS the program. Maybe not bigger, but equal. IMHO, the program takes 10 steps back if CJL were to be forced out after this season.

I don't think anyone appreciates the kind of sales job it takes to get kids like Giddens, Webster, Griffin, etc. to sign with little ole USF instead of UF, FSU, UM (hell, throw USC in there since Pete Carol came to Tampa to see Giddens). These kids have to believe in the program, and they do believe in it because Jim Leavitt tells them to.

I am not happy about this season, but seriously, after MG went down, 2 new coordinators, Hester's injury...sure, it's easy to get caught up in the fast starts, but we have been lucky with Daniels, he could have folded like a wet napkin under the pressure and we could be sitting at 4-7 or 5-6 right now. No, I am not satisfied with where we are, but "change" just for the sake of change isn't the answer...ever.

I never mentioned anything about changing Jim Leavitt this year. I am a realist and realize that USF will only search for a new head coach if CJL fails to win the Big East by 2014 or if he does something to breach his contract. But I do not know how you can think that the head coach is more important than the program.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

So you are saying that 24 years from now, after Leavitt has brought USF a couple of National Championships and more then a dozen bowl wins, USF will know when its time to ask him to step down? Administration will go, hey, remember back in 2009? What happened at FSU?  Is this what you mean? lol whatever. USF can learn much from Bobby Bowden. Like stick with him thick and thin, and let him become the program, because FSU let that happen.  FSU has gone to a bowl game in 29 of 30 years and if they win the last game this year, a winning season every year since 1976. Maybe he should come to USF after, to oversee the program.

Archived