• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we more talented than Rutgers?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting side note about talent and the NFL.  During the USF - FSU game they brought out the 12-0 team of 1999.  How many of those players went on to the NFL?  I only heard one introduced as an NFL player.  Besides strength of schedule was it coaching and team effort that produced this 12-0 National Champion team?  What produces that type of magic?

For me it boils down to Coaching staff - players - fans.  

• Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

But it all goes back to talent and performance. Our OLine is young and hopefully theyll get better and we will add talent to it.

But look at GTech's offense. You know whats coming is basically THREE plays and still is hard to stop. I never said BJ was not talented, but he needs to get better at short timed plays and our WRS MUST help him out by holding on when he hits them.

Right now our offense has too many limitations and while play calling from coaches could be better, we must also realize that we have HUGE limitations right now at the OL, WR and QB positions and thats hard for even the best of OCs

• Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

Interesting side note about talent and the NFL.  During the USF - FSU game they brought out the 12-0 team of 1999.  How many of those players went on to the NFL?  I only heard one introduced as an NFL player.  Besides strength of schedule was it coaching and team effort that produced this 12-0 National Champion team?  What produces that type of magic?

For me it boils down to Coaching staff - players - fans.  

They might not have had many NFL players but I bet they had tons of pretty darn good college players. As for theother part, I agree that it comes down to coaches and players. Fans really have no part on how good a team will be.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

you could dig around for the post i made on recruiting classes in the BE.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My opinon is that Rutgers was the more talented on the field.  Sometimes we have to step back and be objective about what we think based on the hyp that surrounds players and teams and what the media leads you to believe because they have to hyp a team.

On offense, Rutgers has a proven, legitmate receiving threat and playmaker in Tim Brown.  Even with Mitchell in there he is average at best.  Sanu is emerging.  We put a bunch of guys on the field.  None are particularly good recievers and none are particularly fast (football speed). Hester is a good receiver, but the injuries have hampered him.

We have no threat from the backfield.  Whether that is a talent problem or a payer development problem I don't know.  However, Martinek is the all time leading running back in NJ high school history.  He has already starting proving that he can carry the load.  Again, the talent comparison goes to Rutgers.

On the offensive line, easily any of Rutgers starters would be better than ours.  Anthony Davis wil be a first round pick  Rutgers wins that comparison.

At QB I see Savage light years ahead of Daniels.  Daniels may be a better all around athlete, but he doesn't have a command of what needs to be done at QB.  If he is the best athlete on the field he wil be successful.  If he is against equaly athletes and has to revert to QB skil he is in trouble at this point.  He needs some help from the coaches, but a lot of the mistkes and problems are on him too.

On defense, JPP is probably the best talent that was on the field.  Selvie has proven himself to be slightly better than average.  I'd give USF the  advantage on a player by player basis, but because of their schemes and discipline, I'd give the edge to Rutgers as a team.

I would call it a wash at LB.  I would call the secondary equal from a talent standpoint.  Their playmaker, McCourty made a big play.  Allen, our playmaker did not.

Special teams definitely goes to Rutgers.  All phases. 

Coaching has to go to Rutgers.  They came in prepared to take away our strengths.  We did nothing to counter.  They were also motivatd  we were sleep walking.

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

The Rutgers D looked way more physical/fast/sound than our offense could put up a fight against.  I thought their offense was comparable to ours (not much of a running game) except they had a couple guys who could catch the ball.  I am sure our D could have held up a lot better if the offense could have put together some drives.

So since their defense looked so much better than our offense I would say yes they are more talented.

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I think the talent level across the Big East is about the same. To be quite honest I think UCONN does the best with the least amount of talent.  Talent is just one way to look at the players in a program. It is better to look at:

• How well a coach knows and executes the system they want to run
  • How well a coach recruits to fit that system
  • How well a coach adjusts their system to cater to their talent

Archived