• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we more talented than Rutgers?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

So after reading acouple of posts basically saying this and another thread insinuating that coaches and players at Rutgers were saying the same. I decided to look at BOTH teams STARTING LINEUPS for thursday's games and see what their recruiting rankings were according to Rivals.

Offense

Rutgers

Three (4 stars)- Four (3) stars, Four (2) stars = 32 points

USF

ONE (4) star- ONE (3) star, SEVEN (2) stars, 2 walk ons (no stars)= 21 points

Defense

Rutgers

ONE (4) star, FIVE (3) stars, FIVE (2) stars= 29 points

USF

ONE (4) star, TWO (3) stars, SEVEN (2) stars= 24 points

So I wouldnt say that the Bulls were the most talented team.

• Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Or you could use a less-imaginary metric for judging talent.

True. I could just say we are more talented because I just feel it, which seems to be the popular option.

True. I could just say we are more talented because I just feel it, which seems to be the popular option.

I admire the effort, but that this isn't 'feeling' doesn't make it any more valid, only different.

It was actually interesting seeing the data though, thanks.

Well, how about if we compare, players that will be drafted by the NFL? I think we come up on the short end of the stick there also.

Please let me know which of our offense that started this past thursday you feel will be an NFL draft choice?

Well, how about if we compare, players that will be drafted by the NFL? I think we come up on the short end of the stick there also.

Please let me know which of our offense that started this past thursday you feel will be an NFL draft choice?

Is 'this past thursday' you leaving out C. Mitchell in disguise? Look, I can't speak for NFL GMs who thought Eric Crouch was a franchise player out of Nebraska, but I will tell you Tim Brown and Tom Savage (maybe) would have been equally as inept last night with Chico at the helm, which is all that matters since, as you maintain, we are untalented in comparison to Rutgers.

Look Im not trying to make excuses because we SUCKED this past thursday.

But if you watch that game, our offensive line couldnt open any holes and couldnt protect vs the rush/blitz.

BJ on most plays had defensive players on him as soon as he got the ball. Not much you can do when that happens.

Mitchell has been our only deep threat and he was out.

So Rutgers knew that one of the two things Daniels can do well, throw deep was out. The other was run and RU sold itself out on stopping that and rushing him into throwing.

BJ's biggest weakness right now is that he is not very good at hitting the short quick pass and our WRS have not helped him. Until that happens we will see similar coverages.

The games we won WV, FSU. BJ got time to throw deep and run. When he doesnt get the time to do neither our offense dissapears.

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

I think they way USF lost that game 31-0 hurts more from the talent aspect of it. Both teams have talent, it just seems like one team was coached up better than the other. One team got rattled and let everything snowball. I dont know how you teach a team to be mentally tough, but I know that USF has not been able to figure it out yet.

BD

I agree with you. But the defesnse played well enough in first half that if our offense would have done something, I really think that we would had been in the game. There is only so much you can do when you play your butt off and just see the offense at BEST do nothing. The special teams were just plain HORRIBLE.

I think it all goes back to our OLine, which we all knew was the key going in. Until that improves or BJ and the WRs become better at short quick passes. We will be a big play team only and if thats taken away we will have another Rutgers game.

I really hope BJ does not play basketbal this year and focus on getting in the same page as wrs in short passes.

Our OLine needs to get stronger, Ill be so happy to see the day when our RBs can get the ball and NOT have a defesensive player wrapped around them before they get to the line.

Thanks BD, thought this thread would turn into a duet.

Getting back to topic..yes, errant passes are a problem for BJ. No, not because he is not talented.

Our Oline is young, undersized, and injury prone. Performance aside, if the defense knows what's coming every play and we pull a guard outside, do you not expect a LB to crash the gap? It's an ensemble of incompetence right now. I'll agree that time is needed.

Archived