• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sentinel: UCF-USF rivalry may be resurrected at St. Petersburg Bowl

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

Orlando Slantinel, Bulliever, everyone else, FOR THE FINAL TIME:

Q: How often will we see USF and Central Florida play in St. Petersburg?

A: Occasionally—but not against each other. When either finishes out of the top three or four in its league, St. Petersburg would be a potential bowl destination.

http://www.stpetersburgbowl.com

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

A pretty even matchup, id like to see that game.  we keep playing this way, they will be favored. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

A: Occasionally—but not against each other. When either finishes out of the top three or four in its league, St. Petersburg would be a potential bowl destination.

Read the article, they interviewed the bowl rep that said that there is nothing in the bowl charter to prevent it and USF vs UCF is an option for them

• Content Count:  1,261

Read the article, they interviewed the bowl rep that said that there is nothing in the bowl charter to prevent it and USF vs UCF is an option for them

The clamoring for this matchup is as endless as it is baseless. Yes, I read the article. The Bowl rep said "USF and UCF" not "vs". Reasons this will never happen should be obvious, yet proof isn't even enough to quell stupidity these days.

• Content Count:  5,249

I would enjoy MCCB or Papajohns vs SEC...

St Pete bowl is garbage.

bowl > no bowl

• Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

I know that isn't the reason why you go to a bowl game, but I can tell you anything is better than what I experienced at Legion's Field.  That was a garbage stadium and garbage food.  You would never have known that a bowl game was being played there if not for the team fans wearing the school colors. 

Agreed, that stadium was dirt, worst stadium I've ever been to. Sad since so many legends played/coached there. I bought one beer the whole time I was there. it took me the entire halftime and 5 minutes into the third to get it and almost didn't because some idiot behind the counter was leaving the money out so some other idiot in front of the counter was stealing it.

However, I did like the city and the campus and the drive up was enjoyable and not to long. Too bad that we didn't know now if we were going there. SW has fares from tpa to bham for 100$ round trip right now.

• Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

The clamoring for this matchup is as endless as it is baseless. Yes, I read the article. The Bowl rep said "USF and UCF" not "vs". Reasons this will never happen should be obvious, yet proof isn't even enough to quell stupidity these days.

So how do USF and UCF play in the same game without playing each other? If you really read that quote and still dont understand that we can match up then you need to take some reading classes.

• Content Count:  89

We had a pretty good time at the St Pete Bowl. Friday night we got rooms at one of those small hotels downtown, went to the street party and the bars along Central. Met a bunch of USF fans. Next morning we went to that market they have on 1st avenue south. Tailgated with around 50 people, attended the game and aftewords we went to the Pinellas alumni association house for a nightcap. Didn't cost us an arm and a leg and had just as good a time as we did at the other bowl games. It is what you make of it. As far as I'm concerned the game itself is just a small part of the experience. For you guys that think the game is such a big deal you should just stay home and watch it on TV

• Content Count:  639

The Trop playing surface is bad for baseball and worse for Football. They need to move this bowl to an outdoor venue, Ray Jay or move the bowl to Orlando's Brighthouse since this bowl doesn't need 70K capacity. The weather is too nice in December to be playing bowl games in a dark dome.

• Content Count:  7,693

You all forget we get an SEC team in the Papa Johns Bowl this year.  How cool would a rematch with Auburn be?

I did not even know about this so my bowl selection just bounced up to the top! I doubt we would be playing Auburn, probably would get stuck Ole Miss or Georgia.  >:D

I did not go to the Pizza Bowl the first time and I heard that it was a bad experience but I would have to imagine that since then and with a SEC bowl tie in things have had to of improved.

As long as we are not going to the Sun Bowl or Int'l Bowl I will be going bowling this year even if its another trip back to the St. Pete Bowl. I missed the MCC Bowl and the Pizza Bowl the first time around so I have some catching up to do.

If we do end up back at the St. Pete Bowl make sure to hit Fergs... we out sourced our tailgate (takeout food) to them last year and the food was great  ;)

Archived