• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MIKE FORD - MORE CARRIES?!?!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  724
  • Days Won:  0

Also, Plancher has touched the ball more 10 or more times in a game only TWICE in his career:

12 carries, 6.5 YPC, 2 TD

18 carries, 6.4 YPC, 2 TD

Two garbage games against bad teams.  But you know what?  If Ford didn't have so many academic and disciplinary problems, he would have been in those games and we wouldn't have to imagine what could have been.

Would I love to see a more focused ground attack?  YES.  But Plancher has been deprived of consistent carries even more than Ford, and doesn't have Ford's laundry list of shortcomings.

No one is defending his academic problems here.  But the fact is he is on the roster now and healthy, being wasted by standing on the sideline.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Also, Plancher has touched the ball more 10 or more times in a game only TWICE in his career:

Two garbage games against bad teams.  But you know what?  If Ford didn't have so many academic and disciplinary problems, he would have been in those games and we wouldn't have to imagine what could have been.

Would I love to see a more focused ground attack?  YES.  But Plancher has been deprived of consistent carries even more than Ford, and doesn't have Ford's laundry list of shortcomings.

No one is defending his academic problems here.  But the fact is he is on the roster now and healthy, being wasted by standing on the sideline.

The rest of our backs have wasted talent too.    The problem is not playing time but the fact that our coaching staff doesn't know how to call a running game period.

No one is defending his academic problems here.  But the fact is he is on the roster now and healthy, being wasted by standing on the sideline.

The rest of our backs have wasted talent too.    The problem is not playing time but the fact that our coaching staff doesn't know how to call a running game period.

That's true too.  I mean, Mike Ford is most effective in the backfield with a fullback in front of him, not out of the shotgun.  I know they run that offense but there is no rule that says they can't change it up and play to their own strengths.  Look at the second half of cincy.  No adjustments were made to this struggling offense.  They didn't try anything different.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I would really love to see some I formation stuff with ford and kelly in the backfield.  My guess is BJ isn't very comfortable under center. 

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

That's true too.  I mean, Mike Ford is most effective in the backfield with a fullback in front of him, not out of the shotgun.  I know they run that offense but there is no rule that says they can't change it up and play to their own strengths.  Look at the second half of cincy.  No adjustments were made to this struggling offense.  They didn't try anything different.

And Lamar would be more effective if we took steps to get him in open space, i.e. screen passes.  My problem is that everyone has this blinding obsession with Mike Ford that goes far beyond what he brings to the team.  He is not the only player and he is certainly not a back that is going to magically make us win if we run him on a draw up the middle 10 times.

And Lamar would be more effective if we took steps to get him in open space, i.e. screen passes.  My problem is that everyone has this blinding obsession with Mike Ford that goes far beyond what he brings to the team.  He is not the only player and he is certainly not a back that is going to magically make us win if we run him on a draw up the middle 10 times.

No but the offense is better with him out there.  Even defenses bite on play action a little more when they see 26 back there.  He is a force that makes this offense better and I just don't see why he goes on the bench so often, especially after he has some big runs.

Can you explain why in the syracuse game when ford had that big td run that plancher was in on the following series?  Or why after ford had the big run thurs they took him out again?  I wish someone could explain that or the coaches could explain it.  Why would you take out a guy that is being successful unless he is injured?

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Umm, your argument breaks down as soon as you say Ford can't block. Everytime he is in the game on a passing down/play he blows someone up this year. Watch the tape if you must.

Academically, yes he is messing up. But how much can you really be messing up with a 3.0 gpa (that is what a believe he had at the end of spring if memory serves me right).

Franks basically has no clue. Also, think about this - if the coaches didn't "trust" him, when games are on the line and thus their careers they wouldn't turn to Mike.

When they were trying to close out FSU who did they turn to? Mike. When they decided to actually beat Pitt last year who did they hand off to? Ford. But when he has an opening drive like against the Cuse we don't see him for 5 series. When he is in the game against Cincy and we finally go down the field and score a td, we don't see him again for a quarter.

The worst part is Month was having a pretty good game. 7/37. Yet, he only had seven carries. That is piss poor.

BTW, bigger back get better as the game goes on. If he is averaging 4.0 in the beginning quarters, if he keeps getting touches his ypc will get better.

All I know is if I am an elite high school rb and I see USFs situation with the depth chart I don't come here. You go to a place like Oklahoma or Alabama or Pitt that knows how to use an elite level high school running back. Maybe one day we will maximize the offensive talent we have here. Since getting BCS level talent we have not figured it out yet.

Umm, your argument breaks down as soon as you say Ford can't block. Everytime he is in the game on a passing down/play he blows someone up this year. Watch the tape if you must.

Academically, yes he is messing up. But how much can you really be messing up with a 3.0 gpa (that is what a believe he had at the end of spring if memory serves me right).

Franks basically has no clue. Also, think about this - if the coaches didn't "trust" him, when games are on the line and thus their careers they wouldn't turn to Mike.

When they were trying to close out FSU who did they turn to? Mike. When they decided to actually beat Pitt last year who did they hand off to? Ford. But when he has an opening drive like against the Cuse we don't see him for 5 series. When he is in the game against Cincy and we finally go down the field and score a td, we don't see him again for a quarter.

The worst part is Month was having a pretty good game. 7/37. Yet, he only had seven carries. That is **** poor.

BTW, bigger back get better as the game goes on. If he is averaging 4.0 in the beginning quarters, if he keeps getting touches his ypc will get better.

All I know is if I am an elite high school rb and I see USFs situation with the depth chart I don't come here. You go to a place like Oklahoma or Alabama or Pitt that knows how to use an elite level high school running back. Maybe one day we will maximize the offensive talent we have here. Since getting BCS level talent we have not figured it out yet.

Top RBs are going to look at this offense and stay away.  Remember when we featured Andre Hall with a bad QB (julmiste)?  We didn't rotate 3-4 runningbacks a game.  Could you imagine how we would have done with Daniels/Hall.  It'd be nice to see a balanced offense with Daniels/Ford.  Every time we run, the defense would either have to be concerned with catching Daniels or getting run over by Ford.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

The whole running game we run is bad, I am sure if we had Hall on the team he wouldn't get the touches either.

The running game we have would be great if we had a great offensive line but we don't so its not very effective against

good teams.

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Personally, and this is my humble opinion, if Lamar wasn't a true freshman, he would be our featured back.  Our spread offense is all about getting speed in open space.

Although, I don't think Lamar has gotten a fair chance.  They keep making him try to run around the defense to the sideline, and all that happens is he gets pushed out and gains nothing.  Give the kid a screen pass in the middle of the field and give him something to work with.  yeah, he's 5'6 165 pounds!  But he plays on a team in a BCS Conference!!!  He got the scholly for a reason!  if he couldn't take a hit, then he'd be playing at Colgate.  Give LAMAR the **** ball... and give him a chance, too!!!!

Anyway, back to the topic.  I think whoever operates these rotations has it all wrong.  I'm not calling for more carries for Ford.  I'm calling for more carries for the running back with the hottest hand.  If Ford, Plancher, or Lamar have a breakout series, then keep them in until they get tired.  Make them earn it!!!!!!  I swear these guys don't give it 100% because:  (a) They know they'll get in the game even if they suck, and (B) they'll get pulled whether they create a productive drive or not! 

Archived