• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on FSU game...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

USF has a built-in excuse now if we fall on the bad side of the scoreboard. "If Matt Grothe plays, it's a different game."

There shouldn't be any excuses of this nature. B.J. is more than capable to go into Doak and lead our team. Remember, Jacory Harris didn't have much game experience and he went in there and shredded FSU's secondary. I expect us to take quite a few shots downfield and B.J.'s arm can certainly stretch their D.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Anyone predicting a win because of the Noles won't be ready need to step back and think it over.

Sherrif said it great. With a healthy Grothe we have a MUCH better shot to win than we do with BJ no matter how good he looked against Charleston Southern

• Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Yes, it sucks grothe is hurt. But lets face it BJ is talented and has a RS year so he is NOT a freshmam straight out of HS going out there. Hell USC's starting QB was a freshman out of HS and went to OSU and beat them.

its not going to be easy but I do think that we have the talent to win this game. Even with all the experience grothe brings to the table, he is the same guy that in three years vs Cincy has thrown 1 TD and 8 Interceptions.

It is up to our team to play their game.

Go Bulls!!!!

Comparing Matt Barkley and BJ Daniels is completely legit...

Comparing Matt Barkley and BJ Daniels is completely legit...

once again Barkley freshmen out of HS. Daniels has one year of RS experience the same Grothe had when he stepped up as our starter.

Now you can cry and call the season over but if Daniels is as talented as many think and for what he was recruited for then, hell yes I expect him to perform. Will he make mistakes? absolutely and as i pointed above even Grothe with all his experience and talent has thrown too many INTS.

Ya...I mean all Barkley was coming put of high school was the top recruit who broke several Califnornia High School records owned by Mak Sanchez...

BJ was recruited by many teams as an athlete...

I think BJ will be outstanding, but this is gonna be a very tough game

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Ya...I mean all Barkley was coming put of high school was the top recruit who broke several Califnornia High School records owned by Mak Sanchez...

BJ was also recruited by many as a QB including Michigan

never said it was going to be easy and it was going to be tough with grothe healthy.

As I said yes it stinks that he got hurt but we cant just say oh well we are going to lose and our season its over. Look at Cincy last year and their QB troubles and what the end was.

All Im saying is that BJ is talented and if he plays well we will be just fine.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Here's my take, and I'll probably repeat parts in the various threads today, so bear with me...

For us to win this game, the defense has to be solid to quite solid. I know CJL/Franks/Chico have Mike Ford permanently in the dog house, but, we will need a steady dose of Mike Ford to win this game. It needs to be similar to Auburn. Use Ford to force them to stack the box, face it, he is going to blow up a lot of LBs, and you need to have two guys with their hands on him to take him down. On Ford's end, hold on to the football kid. Once we force them to respect the run, the passing lanes should be pretty open. USF will need to be +2 in turnovers, and field position will be key. Now, more than ever, the kicker is under pressure. If it's Schwarz, I am happy, but its a tough spot for that kid.

As far as defense winning this game for us, I disagree. The QB is going to have to do it. FSU will score on us, our defense is on the lower end of "good" in my opinion.

OB's Keys to Victory...

1. Ford 15-20 touches

2. Daniels 200 passing yards

3. +2 in turnovers

4. score 30+ points

Since it's not 100% related to MG's injury, I'll throw my take on BJ here...

I am sick and tired of hearing how good this guy is going to be, and how he is better now than MG was going into Kansas, and all that crap. I 100% hope you guys are right, but NO ONE here knows anything of the sort. The fact is, BJ has played in 5 games now. Other than NC State, he has never played in a game against more than one player that has BCS talent (I think he just took a knee vs NC State). He has never played a meaningful snap in college when the game is in doubt and he has to make plays for his team to win. He has dominated horrible competition and used shear athleticism to make less talented players look foolish. Until we are down, with the game on the line, and the team on his shoulders, we don't know what he is going to do. Down by 3 in OT with no kicking game and 90,000 fans screaming at him, is he able to see Jessie Hester and throw a strike to him for the win? We don't know. Again, I am fully behind BJ, and I hope that he is everything that we all want him to be and more, but until he proves to me that he is able to lead this team the way that Matt has done for 3+ years, I am going to hold off on joining in with the BJ Daniels cult on here and see what happens. In this offense, the QB is so important, and BJ has a lot on his shoulders, I hope the BJ faithful don't turn on him if it takes him a few games to get in a groove.

As I mentioned in another thread, the FSU game has lost it's luster for me. I'll be there screaming my head off, but it doesn't matter to me any more if we win this one. BJ needs this experience, and we need to come out healthy if we're going to make a run at a Big East Championship.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

Chances before Matt went down = Slim

Chances now = Slim to None

I hope I'm wrong. But it doesn't look good

Archived