• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thoughts on FSU game...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Orlando Bull

I agree FSU sometimes struggles with scrabling QBs. This is part of the reason I believe USF can score some points, because BJ will keep the drives alive to allow more plays for speedy WRs to get behind our suspect DBs.

BtownBull

The reason I believe FSU can score in the 40s is because of a few things which includes a turnover. FSU offense has put up 404, 402, and 512 yards of offense in the last 3 games. I don't believe USF's defense is as good as Miami's. Not bad, but not as good as UM's. I do believe USF will be more agressive that BYU and they won't use that umbrella coverage which will allow more longer yardage plays than BYU allowed. I think we only had 2 plays against BYU of 26 yards or more because they kept eveything in front of them. Not to say we'll score all over the place, but 4 offensive TDs and 2 fieldgoals, plus another defensive TD (D has 1 in each of the last 4 games dating back to bowl game last year) and there is 41 pts. And at 430 yards or so a game, that is very realistic. I believe USF is good, but really believe FSU is that good.

Sometimes I think opposing fans and the media forget that we are Florida State. Most people that are realistic with themselves knew BYU wasn't a top 10 team. And most shouldn't forget that FSU is no scrub (as they proved in Provo, UT). FSU will not take USF lightly.

If USF really wants to win, they need to shut down the pass, NOT the run. And they need to score a lot.

I'm thinking a close game in the first half with FSU slowly pulling away in the second half.

Shutting down the run makes FSU one dimensional and allows Selvie and company to pin their ears back and do what they do best, get to the QB.  If we can't stop the run FSU will put up a lot of points because they will wear us down and our lack of depth will shine through.  If we can keep them in 3rd and long by not allowing the run to make for easy 3rd and short conversions we have a much better chance of getting off the field and staying fresh.    

I agree it will be a matter of stopping us on first down, but I still think we make up for a shotty run game with our pass, something you can't really do the other way around.

But then you are also playing into one of USF's greatest strengths.  The more you drop back to pass the more you give us a chance to create turnovers and splash plays.  The more effective you are at running the ball the more you get a chance to lean on our D-line and wear them down and hamper their pass rush.  There's Florida speed and athletes all over the field for both teams but this game will be won and lost in the trenches with the running game. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  14
  • Days Won:  0

Can't really disagree there. Trenches are huge.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Trenches are huge.

That's what he said.

• Content Count:  14

Is FSU still a big screen pass team?  We seem to have trouble defending the screen pass.   

Bubble screens.... and we're good at it.

• Content Count:  42

Is FSU still a big screen pass team?  We seem to have trouble defending the screen pass.   

Florida State has probably the most athletic offensive line in the nation, and that extra mobility makes them a great screen team because of their open field blocking ability.

Archived