• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So what exactly is a.....

Stier

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

its an old wooden ship

i highly doubt the station would be worried about the lack of an old wooden ship  ;D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

....hilltopper? 

its German for a whales ******...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

What is a Hilltopper and why is Western Kentucky's mascot Big Red (and what is Big Red)?

Little information is available on what exactly a Hilltopper is. According to the school's Web site, "The evolution of the nickname 'Hilltoppers' is obvious to those who have seen the Western Kentucky campus. - Since the summit of 'the Hill' rises 232 feet above nearby Barren River and the comparatively level plain that surrounds it, it was only natural that the athletes who represented the institution should come to be known as the 'Hilltoppers.'" Still, it doesn't explain specifically what a Hilltopper is, but what can you do.

According to graphic renderings, Big Red is a red blob of something that carries around a red towel. The school's Web site has no information on Big Red but does explain the towel tradition. E.A. Diddle, Western Kentucky's longtime men's basketball coach (who also coached football, women's basketball and baseball at various times), held a red towel for the 1,062 basketball games he coached, and it became a symbol of the school's sports programs.

Link

Good enough for me...

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

They're gonna need those towels to mop up the blood from their defeated team's corpses...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

very graphic

• Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

Straight from the mouth of a WKU (shortened because I don't remember exact details):

Big Red is a towel.  Back in the day, the basketball coach would always carry around a red towel with him and would throw it into the air during games and it just became the mascot of the school.  They are the hilltoppers because the school lies at the top of a hill.

So yeah, mascot's a towel.  BE INTIMIDATED.

towlie.gif

Don't Forget your towel!

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

Two thoughts here. 

1.  What coash goes around waving a WHITE towel?  Isn't that the signal for defeat....

2.  the USF fans should bring some of their own GREEN towels saturday.

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

They could change their names to the "That time of the month-ers"  with that wku logo... 

• Content Count:  5
  • Days Won:  0

My freshman year (not exactly knowing the geography of campus) I scheduled an 8 o'clock class at Tate Page and a 9:15 class at Thompson. 

I found out what a Hilltopper is pretty quick.  (see my signature)

Archived